5 consequences that Plainridge Park Casino could bring for Massachusetts

Local Metrowest residents have been anticipating the project since gambling legislation was passed in 2011. Here are five things to expect now that Massachusetts' first casino is officially up and running.

117
All photos property of Jordan Deschenes and the Odyssey Online

The grand opening of Plainridge Park Casino in Plainville came quite suddenly for those who had not been following the project closely. A lot has happened in the past five years to get the casino up and running - here are five potential implications that the casino’s construction might bring about in the months and years to come.

1. Potential for Legal Trouble

The casino, which is really just a grand hall of slot machines, was more or less an add-on to the dying Plainridge Park, a failing harness horseracing track built in 1999.

It was a two-bit operation – managed by a few of the remaining staff of Foxboro Raceway, located a few miles north of Plainridge. Foxboro closed before Plainridge's construction in 1997 after a legal dispute between then-owner Robert Kraft and the raceway’s operator.

The process of opening Plainridge Park took over two years as issues arose when it came to finding a capital investor. Disagreements between the racetrack’s developer and new operator Gary Piontkowski, of Rhode Island, further hindered the process.

The idea of adding slot machines arose in 2011 after casino development was legalized in the state through the passage of the Massachusetts Expanded Gaming Act. A parking garage was constructed in 2012 as a demonstration of Plainridge’s financial stability after submitting a casino bid.

It turned out that the garage was (most likely) paid for with some of over $1 million that was embezzled from the casino’s cash room by Piontkowski over 12 years.

The state Gaming Commission bought out Piontkowski’s majority share of the track for $1.8 million and turned ownership over to Penn National Gaming, a casino operating corporation that had already applied for a gaming license for Plainridge. So far, $145 million of the estimated $250 million in construction costs has been spent.

2. Possible boost for the harness horse racing industry

In theory, the idea of a casino-racetrack combination might seem like a novel idea to generate more profit and draw a more broad variety of gamblers.

In the case of Plainridge Park, attracting spectators to harness races has been an issue for years, although the casino seems to be renewing interest in the sport – which is much different than the thoroughbred racing that is featured at the Triple Crown. Harness racing features jockeys who are sitting in small chariot-like carts behind a horse, usually moving at a relatively slower trotting pace.

Statewide, harness racing isn’t nearly as popular as thoroughbred racing; Plainridge is the only racecourse for the sport in Massachusetts.

Complete with live private simulcast booths of ongoing races nationwide, critics of Plainridge Casino warned that the new construction would unavoidably create a “racino,” or a combination of both a casino and a racetrack (historically horses and greyhounds). Plainridge’s glass simulcast lounge room broadcasts races on 88 HDTVs and features and an outside patio that immediately overlooks the racetrack.

The Plainridge Park Casino racecourse during an off day.

The state’s Horse Racing Development Fund designates 25 percent of funds to harness racing while thoroughbred racing gets 75 percent. According to the state gaming commission, the development fund has already generated $10.3 million.

$450,000 has been raised and given to harness racing associations so far, a relatively small number compared to $1.3 million that thoroughbred racing has risen.

Despite a 105-race schedule for 2015, noted increases in prize money, and increased attendance at races, Plainridge horse owners, and jockeys believe that the Mass. harness racing industry is not receiving enough in comparison to thoroughbred racetracks.

Suffolk Downs has not held a thoroughbred race since last fall, leaving those in the harness racing industry wondering why they are receiving less funding than a sport that has not held a race in close to a year.

3. Massachusetts State Lottery sales will be affected

Since the passage of the 2011 legislation legalizing other forms of gambling, the Mass. State Lottery has been vigilant in keeping ticket sales relatively high, wary of the upcoming casino projects.

According to Massachusetts Treasurer Deborah Goldberg, there’s “absolutely no doubt” that Lottery sales will take a hit once the casinos in Springfield and Everett are up and running. Last fiscal year, the state earned a record-breaking $5 billion from lottery sales.

Using survey conducted using zip code analysis over the past year within a 30-minute driving radius of Plainridge, the state lottery has reported that percentage wise, ticket sales have actually increased.Total ticket sales are another story – they have also increased, but not as much as other sellers statewide.

One Lottery commission member appointed by Gov. Charlie Baker hopes that Plainridge will draw gamblers into one area, which would provide the perfect platform to sell tickets at gas stations to those filling up their vehicle on the way out or in.

The Lottery hopes to use the surveyed zip codes to monitor trends that will help officials decide where to advertise the most promotions.

Former MA Treasurer Tim Cahill made a valid point on the “Nightside” radio program two months ago, claiming that some casino profits would end up out-of-state in the hands of developers while Lottery ticket sale profits are guaranteed to stay in Massachusetts.

4. Plainville will absorb some of the day-to-day Twin River population

Plainridge Park is smaller and offers less gaming variety than Twin River, located in Lincoln, Rhode Island, but is slightly more upscale. Lincoln Park – then a greyhound racetrack - was shut down in 2003 after a bribery scandal involving the law firm of RI House Speaker John Harwood, and two casino executives. Both employees wanted to add a slot machine expansion and to block a nearby casino proposition by the Narragansett tribe.

Twin-River is a two-story facility complete with virtual slot and poker machines, most of which are the same as those at Plainridge. Live performances are held in the lower smoking section, whereas, smoking is prohibited at Plainridge. Considering that most of the virtual poker machines are in the smoking section of Twin River, it’s safe to assume that some non-smokers might want to play in a less hazy environment.

Plainridge is located conveniently close to Route 95 and is a less than 30-minute drive (18 miles) from Lincoln. The casino is located on Route 1 in Plainville, where hotels and motels line the state highway for miles, including an upscale Renaissance at Patriot’s Place next to Gillette Stadium in Foxboro.

Plainridge’s opening has created concern among Rhode Island lawmakers, including Representative Robert Phillips of Woonsocket. He believes that the casino will take revenue away from the Ocean State’s third largest source of income. Phillips recently proposed a bill calling for permission to build a hotel at Twin River – even though the casino itself hasn’t called for any plans.

To compete with Plainridge, Twin River is expanding with the purchase of a new casino in Mississippi by the casino’s parent company, UTGR Inc. This “Rhode Island-based, multi-jurisdiction casino company” will take in two-thirds of it’s revenue from it’s flagship Lincoln location, while the other third will be covered by the new Hard-Rock Hotel and Casino location.

Twin River Chairman John E. Taylor was quoted stating that Plainridge’s location will have a “more significant impact to our business” than the other proposed casino projects in Massachusetts.

Fitch Ratings, a business analyst group, has observed that Twin River customers are still attending the casino, but are spending less than usual. Fitch sees this as an indication that Twin River customers are saving some of their gambling budget to go to Plainridge as well. Twin River management has stated that they expect to lose some Massachusetts customers, but keep most of the Rhode Island ones.

A fair amount of vehicles fill Plainridge's parking lots on a weekday in late July. Fitch Ratings observed a 50-50 split between MA and RI plates on a weekday polling.

5. Beginning of a Massachusetts Casino Era

From both a local and statewide perspective, Plainridge has proved quite successful. Traffic has not been an issue, attendance is high, and tax revenue has been generated almost immediately.

During it’s first week, Plainridge made $6.15 million, according to the Mass. Gaming Commission. The opening week also generated $3 million in tax revenue for the state. Out of Plainridge’s weekly income, 49 percent is taxed, where 82 percent of the taxed amount is used for local aid.

Plainville itself has been receiving a host community agreement fee of $2.7 million, which will be distributed out over the next five years. In addition, the town receives property and excises taxes, which have most likely helped pay for the required traffic light, lane, and sign construction along Route 1.

Officials believe that the New England Patriots’ first pre-season home match at Gillette Stadium will be a strong indicator as to how the casino will affect Route 1’s traffic situation. Gillette is located a few miles north of Plainridge on Route 1 and regularly generates heavy traffic on game days.

Plainridge officials report that on average, 10,000 – 15,000 guests visit per day, with the most people coming in on weekends. Decreases in weekly attendance have been noted, but “the decline in attendance has not been sharp,” according to Michele Collins, vice president of marketing at Penn National Gaming.

The majority of guests are upper middle aged or retired – and the facility is certainly geared towards this crowd. Slot machines with Ellen DeGeneres themes stand out along with the Doug Flutie-themed restaurant in the back of the casino; both celebrities’ days of fame were a little before millennials’ time.

According to the casino’s online calendar, almost every harness race for the year has been scheduled to take place on a weekday before four o’clock p.m. – too early to attend on a workday for the middle-aged commuter.

The Massachusetts 2011 Expanded Gaming Act was passed in an effort to not only promote casino growth, but also to improve the state’s construction, hospitality, and tourism industries.

The two new casino proposals in Springfield and Everett still require preparation by the state. The MGM and Wynn proposed Vegas-style casinos are projected to cost $800 million and $1.7 billion respectively. Both are slated to open in 2018 at the earliest due to setbacks.

Interstate Route 91 sees over 100,000 vehicles pass by the proposed MGM Springfield casino site almost every day, requiring a delay in opening until the city can improve the highway’s capacity.

Last week, Attorney General Maura Healy officially delayed the flagship Wynn project to appease city officials in Boston, Revere, and Somerville. In an interview with the Boston Globe last week, the governor’s spokesman stated that Gov. Baker wants the casino projects “done the right way and not the quick way.”

Cars entering the valet parking lobby are directed by barriers reading, "GOOD LUCK".