5 Bible Verses For People With A Mental Illness

The Word of God can help you with your battle with a mental illness.

4184
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d7/7f/d1/d77fd15d6a5b7d87a5b7d279ba0d6204.jpg

When it comes to having a mental illness, it's hard to see where God fits into that equation sometimes. But recently, I have started to think of the two in a more positive light. The Bible always inspires me when I need it the most because it is God's word and I can feel Him speaking to me through the words I read. If you are struggling with a mental illness, here are some bible verses to help you see that God can help you through it, no matter how difficult it can get.

1. Psalm 46:1-3 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult.”

This verse can be helpful in times of great fear, like when you are having a panic attack. Inside, it may feel like mountains are shaking and you are struggling for a breath. God will give us the strength we need to get through it. I have found that praying for the strength to get through a panic attack rather than praying that I don't have one altogether has helped me so much.

2. Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Mental illness can leave us feeling tired and feeling like we have a huge burden to carry with us. But when we hand our life over to God, He can make it lighter and help us rest in Him knowing that He has everything under control.

3. 1 John 4:16b, 18a “God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in the. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.”

This is one of my favorite bible verses. "God is love." Those are three very powerful words. If we trust in God and come to Him, He will be in us and we will see that His love can help us overcome all the fears we have that come with anxiety or depression. What a wonderful thought.

4. Isaiah 41:10 “Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.”

Anxiety comes with a lot of fears: fear of not being enough, fear of something irrational, fear of losing those you love, the list could go on and on. But God is always with us, and He takes away those fears we have. Next time you feel afraid, pray that God will take those fears away from you. "Be not afraid" appears in the bible 365 times, enough to say it to yourself every day of the year. God will help you get over your fears if you trust in Him.

5. 1 Corinthians 12:24-26 “God has so arranged the body, giving the greater honor to the inferior member, that there may be no dissension within the body, but the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together with it.”

God wants us to know that He has created our bodies to be perfect in His sight. Having a mental illness has often made me wonder why God would allow my body and mind to suffer so much. But sharing in my pain with others and receiving help from them has been instrumental in my ongoing battle with anxiety. If one person suffers, we all suffer, and we all help one another. There are people that God will place in your life that you can confide in about what you are going through. Don't be afraid to reach out to those closest to you.

Having a mental illness is challenging. But knowing there is someone looking down on you to help you get through it is such a comforting thought. I hope these verses can inspire you to seek comfort in God when times are tough.