41 Skills Every Girl Should Learn Well And Truly Master By Her 21st Birthday

Peter Pan warned us that growing up was a cruel joke... he was right!

1606
123rf

We're at a weird age where everyone is telling us to “live it up” and to be “young and reckless” because these are the best years of our lives, but were also being told to change our childish ways, take more responsibility, and start planning for our future.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could grow up without all the responsibility and stress of adulthood? At least mastering these skills will be one less thing to stress about when transitioning into the scary world of adulthood.

1. Start to save!

2. Learn how to budget & balance your bank account

3. Have a professional resume

4. & don't forget that includes getting some work & professional interview experience.

5. Get involved in your community

6. Understand your car

jump start your car, change your tire, and pump gas because even something like not putting your gas cap on correctly could make your dashboard's engine light on.

7. How to do Laundry... correctly

8. SOS sewing skills

because nothing's worse than when your favorite pair of pants get a rip, or a button flies off at the wrong time... (It happens to the best of us)

9. Have style

Figure out what colors & styles of clothes works best with your look, and be confident in what you wear because #SLAYGURL

10. Basic Cooking

For when you have guests or just need a quick & healthy meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

11. & How to make a kick-ass dessert

Because who doesn't love dessert.

12. How to make a (good) cocktail

Like a long island iced tea, mojito, mimosa, margarita

13. How to drink responsibly

14. Understand how different Alcohols affect you differently

15. Best cures to a hangover

16. Understand & Maintain a healthy diet

17.Stay fit and active

18. Practice a positive & healthy mentality

Start looking at the glass half full :)

19. Manage stress in healthy ways

20. Time management

So you aren't always running to every class, interview, job or social event, which will help you stay calm and all together.

21. Plan ahead

Planning and organizing all of your work, events, appointments, and errands into a planner will help you keep your life together.

22. Procrastinate Productively

So even when you are procrastinating one thing, you are accomplishing another thing on your to-do list.

23. How to confidently say No

Whether it be a co-worker needing help on his workload, arguments or favors in relationships, family, or strangers. Don't feel bad for not wanting to do something, that you don't want to do.

24. Be unapologetic and honest with your opinions

In a world where everyone is trying to convince you what opinions and beliefs you have you should be able to stay true to yours while being able to voice it.

25. Respect other people as well as their opinions and beliefs

Even when it differs from yours.

26. How to balance friendships, relationships, and family

27. & How to get rid of those toxic ones, without feeling guilty

28. Establish your girl gang

Cause these are the ladies that will be your future bridesmaids

29. How to be single & thrive on your own

30. How to get over someone

31. Be able to network well by maintaining your composure, conversation, and eye contact with just about anyone

32. How to be less awkward with flirting

33. Be able to get ready in 10 minutes

Because sometimes you hit snooze a few too many times

34. Master the art of a quick change

Whether it's in an office or a car

35. & Put makeup in the car

When you’re running late from place to place

36. The magic of taking your bra off without taking your shirt off when you get home from a long day

37. How to take care of something or someone other than yourself

Maybe start with taking care of a fish, or your favorite pair of shoes

38. Do what you love

Because if you love your major or job, you'll never have to work a day in your life

39. Understand politics & VOTE!

40. Understand & Maintain your body

Know what foods, drinks, medicine & products affect you and your body and be able to maintain good body health and self-care with vitamins, nail care, skin care, and hair care.

41. How to love yourself for who you are.