4 Ways COVID-19 Will Affect Incoming Freshman

Coronavirus - the silent killer of senior year.

124

1. There are no college tours.

Unsplash

As of right now, most - if not all - college campuses across the country have closed their doors while professors are continuing classes via distance learning. This closure will also affect students planning on touring their potential campuses the next few months.

I remember one of my favorite memories as a senior in high school during my college search was touring colleges. I toured colleges pretty early last year, but for students who were waiting till spring break or the summer, they won't be able to get that experience.

In addition, they are also moving orientation to online. Orientation was not only a way for incoming freshman to get a feel of campus life, but also a time to start meeting new friends. Coming into a brand-new school, and potentially not knowing anyone, can be very scary. Orientation was a way for students to meet peers in the exact same boat as them and start making lasting friendships.

2. Less pressure on SAT/ ACT scores for admissions.

Unsplash

A select number of universities have either waived or are modifying their SAT/ACT admission requirements as the tests are being cancelled nationwide. It can be assumed more colleges will continue to follow this lead.

This could benefit incoming freshman when applying to colleges as their scores will not be a restriction in the application process. They will have the opportunity to apply to colleges solely based on their overall GPA.

This can also be seen as a downfall, as colleges and universities usually place these requirements to set a standard and filter out students who do not meet their requirements. We can assume the waiving of the SAT/ACT scores will cause an increase in applications and will take admission offices longer to sort through and make decisions for the next school year.

3. Prom, and other school events, have been cancelled.

Unsplash

Senior year is supposed to be a year to remember. They have been working and studying the last eleven years for this year. COVID-19 has been the reason their year got cut short. They won't be able to share the memories seniors before them had.

My senior year prom was my favorite memory of high school. I was fortunate enough to go to my school's prom and my boyfriend's, as well. It was a highly anticipated event, and I had spent months looking forward to it. But this year, some students made plans and bought dresses for an event they sadly won't be able to attend. On the bright side, though, they will be safe at home from the virus, but it's a bittersweet moment they will never get back.

4. Graduation won't be the same.

Unsplash

The one that I think hits the hardest for not only high school seniors, but also seniors in college, is not being able to have a graduation ceremony. Graduation is one of the last times the whole graduating class will be together. As summer approaches, students will get ready to start a new chapter in their lives and high school will be a thing of the past as they move into adulthood. Walking across that stage, in their cap and gown, and receiving their diploma is something I know I dreamed of for years since starting high school. It breaks my heart that seniors this year won't feel that pride and sense of accomplishment that I was able to.

At the end of the day, this isn't something any of us could've planned for, but we will still make the most of it. Let's take this time to reflect on all we have accomplished and set goals for our future! And most importantly, let's be thankful we are all safe!