4 Ways To Make Your Summer Away From College More Awesome

As the summer can drag on, here are some tips to keeping the summer interesting.

10

I remember six weeks ago as I sat studying for my last final exam of my junior year. Excitement building up and butterflies in my stomach. The only thought that came to mind, was freedom and the beautiful summer that awaited me but about six weeks into summer, I have realized, that you need to engage in activities that will enrich the summer.

While daydreaming instead of studying for finals, of me sitting on the beach with a cold Pina Colada, is not the only way to enjoy the summer. But now six weeks in, many students are missing their beloved college.

Here are some tips to enjoy the next two months away from your home away from home:

1. Get a job/internship.

Sure, it seems quite appealing to sit on your parent’s sofa and binge-watch House of Card’s but believe me it can get boring. Get a part-time job/ internship for the summer to pass the time and earn some cash. While a job in your field would be ideal, any type of job paying something, is worth the time.

2. Take a summer class.

I am not advocating that someone take 12 credits over the summer, but catching up on some general education requirements a local community college is not bad. It takes up some the time and helps you get closer to graduation. But, make sure that the course transfers and visit Penn State’s Transfer Tool.

3. Pick up a new hobby.

Hobbies are something that help past time and especially doing something you enjoy. During the summer, it’s time to try something bold and new. It could be as simple hiking or trying a new activity that you don’t have time over the semester. The summer is the best time to try something new!

4. Go on vacation.

While many of us students are broke, it doesn’t cost a lot to go on a decent vacation. By using Priceline or Trivago, getting the best deals on an awesome vacation. This is the only time of year, when the weather is great and best way to enjoy is going on a tropical get away.

The summer is the best time of the year. It’s the best time to do things that you don’t do during the semester. It is a time to explore and expand on interests and getting ahead. Enjoy the summer now, as we will be back in Happy Valley soon enough.