4 Compliments Every Woman Should Pay Herself Daily

Because you are allowed to acknowledge how beautiful you are, inside and out.

10
Grace Gagnon

As a woman, it can be extremely challenging to find things not to dislike about myself. There's always that constant pressure of wanting to look a certain way, and it's overwhelming. The hardest struggle I faced transitioning from a girl to a woman was learning how to accept the way my body was changing. It's hard to grasp that women don't need to look a certain way in order to be beautiful, inside and out.

Several months ago, my self-esteem hit rock bottom. I used to look in the mirror and target points of my body that I hated. I would step on the scale everyday to make sure I didn't gain a pound from a night of eating. Not finding time to exercise everyday gave me severe anxiety. I thought that if I didn't look a certain way, then I wasn't good enough.

But I realize now, I was never more wrong in my life.

What I have realized is that you can't please everyone, and if there's anyone actually worth pleasing it's yourself. You need to learn how to love yourself before anyone else can, which is easier said than done.

It's ok to feel confident. It's ok to walk around feeling beautiful. It's ok to know you are smart. Don't let society tell you that you shouldn't be anything less than you actually are.

Besides loving your body and the way you look, you should love yourself on the inside too. Beauty isn't about how wide your hips are or how thick your lips are. Beauty is about empowering yourself . You find it through your accomplishments, not your weight on the scale.

On my conquest to boost my confidence and self-esteem, I started complimenting myself every day. Whether you stand in the mirror and physically speak the words out loud or write them on sticky notes and hang them on the mirror, it's something every woman should do.

Here are 4 compliments every woman should pay herself daily:

1. I am strong.

You may not work-out every day. You may not be able to lift heavy weights or run a marathon, but you are stronger than you think. Physically and mentally. Everyone battles something at one point or another. Knowing what you've been through and what you've accomplished is crucial to boosting your self-confidence. Exercise for your health. Workout because you want to be strong, not because you hate your body. Acknowledge your inner and outer strength.

2. I am smart.

Whether you have a perfect 4.0 or you're barely meeting the requirements, tell yourself you are smart. You have a brain that's capable of doing anything you set your mind to. When I started telling myself that I was smart, I saw my performance in class start to improve. When I walked into an exam feeling confident, the results were amazing. Don't be afraid to exude confidence.

3. I am beautiful.

Instead of standing in the mirror wishing you looked like Kendall Jenner or Gigi Hadid, tell yourself you are beautiful. Just because you aren't a supermodel and your face isn't plastered on Vogue magazine, doesn't mean that you aren't perfect the way you are. Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone looked the same! Embrace your flaws and feel good about the features you were born with.

4. I love my body.

Every curve, muscle, and excess fat is a part of you. Don't hate your body. Your body has done so much for you. Think of all the miles you have walked with your legs. Think of all the things you made with your hands. Think of all the songs you danced to with your hips. Appreciate your body because it's the reason you are able to live.

As an ending note, it's important that women empower each other. It's easy to turn green with envy sometimes, but don't let it consume you. Part of feeling good about yourself is making sure you make others feel good too. Negative comments about someone's appearance or skill set is wrong. We should all be on the same team, supporting and empowering one another.