33 Deadly Sea Creatures You Should Avoid (If You Can)

Warning Graphic Images (not for the weak of stomach)

2219
pageresource

hink having a fear of the sea is irrational? Take a look though this gallery of terrifying and VERY dangerous sea creatures and prepare to change your mind!

!!WARNING!!!!WARNING!!!!WARNING!!

This article contains graphic images

1.Cone Snail

Despite their pretty appearance, it's definitely a good idea to steer clear of these snails. They have venom that is capable of killing 20 humans in a single drop - making them one of the most venomous creatures on the planet!

8 times deadlier than a cobra!

2.Beaked Sea Snake

These snakes are one of the most common types of sea snakes – which is a little disconcerting as they are also one of the most venomous! Scientists estimate that their venom is between 4 and 8 times more deadly than that of the cobra, and they are known to be one of the most aggressive of all the sea snakes.

3. Great Barracuda

These fish can grow up to 6 feet in length and have razor-like teeth that can inflict terrible injuries on humans –they have the ability to sever veins and tear muscle in half.

GRAPHIC PHOTO

4. Stingrays

Stingrays are not usually aggressive towards humans, so most injuries are caused by humans either accidentally stepping on one, or getting too close. The stingrays barbed sting causes excruciating pain that can last for hours and, as was the result for wildlife enthusiast Steve Irwin, can even be fatal.

When a stingray barb is stuck in your foot….

GRAPHIC PHOTO

5. Tiger Shark

This dolphin was the target for a hungry tiger shark, who took whole chunks of flesh one lunge at a time. Though attacks on humans are rare, they are considered one of the deadliest sharks of all, and, as they often visit shallow reefs and harbors, they are also one of the most encountered.

see the effects of a tiger shark attack

6. Needle Fish

Though these fish are pretty much harmless underwater, it’s when they’re OUT of the sea that they become dangerous – they often glide over the surface, and as a result, have been known to spear unsuspecting humans with their sharp jaw.

STABBED by a flying fish…

7. Stonefish

These camouflage fish sit unrecognizable on the seabed, so it’s no wonder they occasionally get stepped on by oblivious sea-goers. The venom in their sting can cause respiratory and heart failure, as well as making your foot swell up like a big ol’ balloon.

8. Water Moccasin Snake

These snakes, found in bodies of water throughout the US, are highly venomous and can be aggressive when handled – just ask this guy who made the mistake of using one for a spontaneous photo op! However, he’s one of the lucky ones – their bite can sometimes lead to amputations – and even death!

See what happened to a guy who tried to HOLD a deadly sea creature!(graphic)

9. Flower Urchin

Scuba divers wear gloves for good reason – these urchins have been responsible for numerous fatalities over the years. Their venom causes muscle spasms, anaphylactic shock…and death.

They may look pretty, but don’t touch

Warning: disgusting photo in the next slide !

10. Sandflies

These tiny flies are found on tropical beaches in Southeast Asia and, though they seem harmless, usually leaving an itchy bite similar to the mosquito, they can cause leishmaniasis – a horrific disease that causes huge ulcers on the skin as well as damage to the immune system and, eventually, death.

11. Leopard Seal

Though their habitat makes encounters with humans rare, leopard seals have been known to kill people. One such case was back in 2003, when a 28-year-old British researcher was snorkeling off the Antarctic Peninsula and a leopard seal attacked then drowned her.

the deadly animal you thought was harmless on

12. Marlin

Needle fish aren’t the only ones capable of spearing humans – marlins have also been known to inflict such injuries, including the eye-watering example above!

13. Great White Shark

Though scientists have found that great whites are actually not that fond of the taste of humans – they bite as a ‘test’ to identify objects – that’s not much comfort, considering 20% of attacks are fatal !

14. Yellow Sea Anemone

Don’t swim too close to these – they have venom-laden tentacles they use to stab and immobilize their passing victims!

Don’t go near these!

15. Moray Eel

Moray eels actually have two sets of jaws to ensure that there’s no way their prey can escape – bad news for any humans they take a shine too.

16. Lion Fish

These fish are known for their venomous fin rays which cause excruciating pain, alongside other symptoms such as paralysis, heart failure and even death.

17. Blue-Ringed Octopus

This is the only octopus species fatal to humans, with a venom that is 1200 times stronger than cyanide, which causes the victim to suffocate through lung fire. As there is currently no antivenin, victims are placed on life support until the effects of the venom (hopefully) wear off.

18. Puffer Fish

Most puffer fish are toxic, with some being the most venomous vertebrates on the planet. Their venom can cause muscle paralysis, breathing difficulties and deaths have even been common due to certain parts being a delicacy in Asia…

A deadly animal that people EAT!?

19. Yellow Bellied Sea Snake

These tropical water snakes are one of the largest – they can grow up to a whopping 10 feet (3 meters) in length. They are highly venomous, with possible symptoms from a bite including muscle paralysis, renal failure and damage to skeletal muscle. Best to keep your distance!

10 FEET LONG and deadly…

20. Bull Shark

Unlike their relative the great white, bull sharks are known to consciously attack humans, with 25% of encounters leading to fatalities.

21. Striped Surgeon Fish

These fish can be found all over the world in tropical waters, and have sharp, forward-pointing venomous spines. Eek!

Did you know these were venomous ??

22. Box Jellyfish

These are known as the most deadly jellyfish of all, having killed 60 people in Australia alone. Their sting causes excruciating pain and can be deadly very quickly – cardiac arrest can occur less than five minutes after the sting…

23. Saltwater Crocodile

Believe it or not, at Taiwan zoo in 2007 a crocodile severed the hand of its vet. Amazingly, other staff retrieved the limb after scaring the croc with gunfire and it was later reattached.

24. Dragonfish

The dragonfish is yet another bizarre-looking deep sea creature. Not only does it look terrifying, it is also one of the most dangerous predators in the ocean! It can go undetected due to its color. Beware!

A dragon in the water?

25. Vampire Squid

Although it is named ‘vampire’ squid, this sea creature doesn’t actually suck blood – but this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t scream if you come close to it!

Don’t mess with this sucker!

26. Stargazer

This strange sea creature is definitely one of the more deceitful. It buries itself in the sand and leaps upward to attack its prey!

27. Megamouth Shark

Good news: the megamouth shark has rarely been seen by human eyes. The bad news: once you encounter this massive creature, it can swallow you whole!

No, you can’t escape this MASSIVE sea creature!

28. Viperfish

Not much is known about the viperfish, only that it looks immensely odd and terrifying and, of course, very dangerous.

29. Faint-Banded Sea Snake

This species, also commonly known as Belcher’s sea snake, is found in the Indian and Pacific oceans. It’s now thought to be the most venomous snake on the planet! They are capable of killing 1800 humans with a drop of venom, though thankfully they are known to be non-aggressive unless threatened.

30. Irukandji Jellyfish

This may be the smallest deadly sea creature in the list but it’s still just as dangerous as the bigger lot! The Irukandji jellyfish is said to have venom that is a thousand more potent than that of a tarantula. It can actually cause severe pain and nausea and, in some cases, death.

31. Piranha

This particular deadly sea creature is actually one of the most popular. There have been a lot of movies that depict how dangerous it can be, too. When in groups, these piranhas actually feast on meat… including that of the human.

32. Crown of Thorns Starfish

One of the world’s largest starfishes, the crown of thorns, looks good yet can be deadly. It has venomous spines that release toxic material through the wound, and can cause profuse bleeding. The thorns can also snap off, leaving an unassuming victim in need of surgery.

Beautiful But Deadly…

33. Portuguese Man-of-War

Despite an honorable name and pretty exterior, the Portuguese man-of-war is actually deadly. Its stings can cause debilitating symptoms such as severe abdominal and chest pain. Never judge a fish by its cover!

A Friendly Name, A Deadly Creature

SHARE , COMMENT, ENJOY :)