30 Ways to De-Stress

30 Ways to De-Stress

Tips for when the Semester is too overwhelming

43
30 Ways to De-Stress

Every college student is back at it again. We are already in full swing in to a new semester. That means new homework, stress, and anxiety while trying to balance work, homework, classes, and extracurriculars. Here is a list of ways to unwind when life gets too overwhelming.

1. Coloring

Most stores are beginning to sell adult coloring books. Amazon has multiple selections. Studies have shown that coloring and doodling help relax both kids and adults.

2. Crafts

Painting, drawing, and other crafts stimulate us similarly to coloring. Usually you can find an art club or take a ceramics class to help you relax.

3. Knitting

Doing a consistent activity or a repeated pattern helps with relaxation. Plus, you can get a cute scarf out of it after you’re finished.

4. Aromatherapy

The oils in aromatherapy are from plants, flowers, and other natural ingredients to help with mood, pain, and cognitive function.

5. Counseling

Most of the time free counseling is provided for you on campus. Counseling can be helpful not just for cases of depression and anxiety but for problems such as time management, stress, and adjusting to a new semester.

6. Hang out with friends

It’s always nice to sit and chat with friends after a long day. Try and grab some dinner, watch a movie, or grab some coffee.

7. Exercise

Going to the gym can help reduce stress and elevate your mood. When you exercise the body produces endorphins which increases your mood and energy level.

Dancing is also very fun. It’s a great way to reduce stress. In the words of Christina Yang, “Just dance it out.”

8. Listen to music

Classical music has proven to relax individuals.

9. Play an instrument

This can be a great way to de-stress. Similar to listening to music it helps lower stress level.

10. Laugh

Laughter like exercise releases endorphins to increase your mood level.

11. Breathing exercises

There are plenty of online techniques to help with stress and anxiety. Breathing exercises can help right before a test or a presentation.

12. Reading

Reading like coloring can help reduce your stress level. Make sure it’s not a textbook but a book you are interested in.

13. Yoga

Yoga like breathing exercises and physical activity can help reduce stress and anxiety.

14. Walking outside

Being outside on a sunny day can help elevate mood levels.

15. Taking a nap

Taking a break and resting is an essiential part of surviving college. Your body needs a proper amount of rest to be fully functional.

16. Pet a furry friend

Petting animals can help elevate mood levels and release stress. Usually colleges will have pet therapy days.

17. Prayer/Meditation/Reflection

Unwinding after a long day or at the beginning of the day can help clear your head and focus. Whatever faith tradition you practice it can reduce stress and anxiety through prayer to your higher being.

18. Spend time with family

Going home for a weekend can give you a boost. Homesickness can hit especially when stressed. Having a home cooked meal, snuggling with your dog, and other comforts of home can be just the cure you need.

19. Get a Message

Messages can help relax you. Though they can be expensive, it’s okay to splurge every once in a while.

20. Write down 10 things you are grateful for

Doing this activity can help you think more positively and forget negatives.

21. Drink a cup of tea

It can bring a comfort to have something hot in your hands and be a great way to unwind.

22. Shut off your phone

Sometimes it is good to detox from the rest of the world and do something else.

23. Shut off social media

Similarily to your phone, social media is a great way to connect but it also can lower your mood level. Shutting off social media and unwinding is much healthier when you are stressed.

24. Go away for the day/weekend

Having a change of scenery can be good. Sometimes it can be common to feel trapped on campus when you don’t have a car or go to a small college. Doing something fun off campus like going to see a movie with friends can make a person feel better.

25. Clean/Organize

Being organized and getting rid of clutter can help reduce anxiety. When you know what to get done, and know where everything is it is easier to get things done.

26. Make a memory box

I did this just before I went to college. It is a box filled with pictures, cards, and notes from loved ones. It helps with homesickness, stress, and anxiety for me when the semester hits me hard.

27. Make a home cooked meal

Cooking provides a source of comfort. It is a good way to unwind.

28. Watch a movie

Watching a movie or your favorite television show helps to relax and unwind after a long day. Though Netflix can be addictive, so don’t watch too much.

29. Volunteer

Helping others can help elevate your mood. Volunteering for a day can help you feel good and force you to focus on something other than homework.

30. Find an extracurricular activity

Getting involved in clubs and sports on campus is a good way to reduce stress. It forces you to put away homework for a while and unwind.