3 Tips For A Healthier New Year

3 Tips For A Healthier New Year

Ultimately, it’s about improving your body so you can be at your best.

15
3 Tips For A Healthier New Year
unsplash.com

Losing weight or staying fit consistently ranks among Americans’ top New Year’s resolutions. So what do you need to know if this is one of your goals?

Low weight isn’t the same as healthy. Many people think that losing weight automatically makes them healthier. While it is beneficial to lose unnecessary fat, it isn’t as simple as tracking the number on a scale.

If you’re hitting the gym or increasing your physical activity to lose excess weight, keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. In other words, you may burn fat and put on muscle, resulting in either no weight loss or even slight weight gain! Remember that the number on a scale doesn’t dictate your health. If you’re losing fat while gaining muscle, realize that you are healthier than someone who goes on a crash diet without actually becoming fit.

1. Counting Correctly

Once you have the context for numbers, tracking some numbers can be healthy.

Even if it’s not the best indication of health, your weight is still a standard measurement of health. If you are checking it routinely, be sure to do it at roughly the same time and circumstances (for example, at the same time in the morning before you eat). BMI, or body mass index, is another standard way to check your weight, but it factors additional information such as height and gender. You can even calculate your BMI online.

Don’t forget to track your total body water percentage. This usually requires a special scale, but it is worth the effort to find one—especially if you’re working out! While fat is only about 10% water, muscle is roughly 75% water. So if you’re building muscle, stay hydrated! Men need a slightly higher body water percentage of between 50-65% while women should be between 45-60%.

2. Basic Nutrition

Eating right ultimately isn’t about losing weight; it’s about giving your body the fuel it needs so you can be at your best. Building a healthy lifestyle is much more effective than crash-dieting every time you put on a few pounds.

Here’s a few quick facts about nutrition:

Low fat does not equal healthy

In moderation, fats can actually be helpful for weight loss because they make you full and tell your body to stop—but you have to eat the right fats! Fats include unsaturated fats, saturated fats (from meat, dairy, and poultry and usually solid at room temperature), and trans fats (margarine, commercial foods, fried foods). Trans fats are harmful, and they often come from processed foods. However, your body needs fat. Eat healthy unsaturated fats from peanut, coconut, almond, olive oils, and other whole food fat sources. Healthy fats are necessary for your brain and skin, among other organs.

Not all sugars are created equal

Your body converts carbohydrates, which include sugars, into glucose and either uses it immediately or stores it as fat (in the form of glycogen). Glycemic index ranks carbs on a scale of how quickly your body digests them and how much they raise blood sugar levels. Look for nutrient-rich and low glycemic index carbs. Fibers, only found in plant foods, are important for intestinal health.

Eat a variety of vegetables, protein sources, and whole foods

Make sure you are giving your body the vitamins, minerals, and protein building blocks that it needs. Nine out of the 20 amino acids (protein) areessential amino acids and cannot be produced by the body like the other eleven. Also, remember that overcooking your veggies can destroy vitamins and boiling can leach minerals, so try al dente or lightly steamed.

3. Silent Saboteurs

So you’re working out and trying to eat more healthily, but your weight loss is random or minimal at best. What’s the deal?

Sleep Affects Food Cravings

That midnight snack is actually science-based. Sleep deprivation changes your hormone levels and sends your brain signals that you’re hungry, even if you’ve had enough. Cut the bedtime snack, set a consistent routine, and get the sleep you need. You’ll be glad you did!

“Just a Spoonful of Sugar…”

...does not help your weight go down, in this case! (Sadly, this isn't Mary Poppins.) Besides being addictive (sugar releases the hormone dopamine, just like drugs or alcohol) and lowering your immune system, sugar causes a high insulin release that either stores the sugar as body fat or uses it quickly and leaves you hungry again. Remember that simple carbohydrates like potatoes or bread convert quickly into sugar and have similar effects. If you're hungry and simply cannot wait till the next meal, grab raw veggies or nuts as a healthy alternative.