"Remember the Titans" Taught Me These 3 Very Important Things

20 years ago, on September 23, 2000, the classic movie "Remember the Titans" was introduced and it changed the way I thought about simple ideas.

24
Bing Images

Remember The Titans was a movie that taught so many life lessons in many aspects of life. Here are three main topics that I noticed throughout the movie: Friendship, Diversity, and teaching the audience to believe in themselves.

1. Friendship

"Remember The Titans" taught fans the importance of teamwork and how important it is to have good friends in your life. It teaches the audience to always be there for your friends during every season of life. It also highlights how friends go through hardships and some of their best moments of life together. Throughout the movie, it is shown how strong the friendships of the boys became over time, even though they had trouble embracing each other's differences in the beginning.

2. Diversity

At first, there was tension among the whites and blacks when their schools were forced to integrate, but as they began to play and practice football, the boys began to embrace their differences. The football team also encouraged the community around them to embrace their racial differences and come together. In addition, Coach Boone treated all of his players the same, no matter their race. The coach even encouraged the boys to "spend time every day with a teammate of a different race [and] to learn about him, his family, his likes/dislikes" (Coach Boone). I think that this was a good way to teach the football players that their differences can be used to help build each other up instead of tear each other down.

3. Believing in Yourself

Remember the Titans taught the audience to believe in themselves and to not doubt themselves. Coach Boone teaches the players to "walk out of the stadium with [their] heads held high" no matter if they win or lose (Coach Boone). Boone encouraged the boys to always do their best, no matter the situation, and to never doubt themselves.