3 Signs You're Addicted To Social Media

3 Signs You're Addicted To Social Media

“The internet is bigger than Jesus and John Lennon”

77
3 Signs You're Addicted To Social Media
Photo by Saulo Mohana on Unsplash

Let’s face it, technology has taken over planet earth.

At least in first-world countries, nearly every human being you pass on the street has a little rectangular computer in their pocket, and if it’s not in their pocket, it’s in their hands. Just look around; smartphones, laptops, and tablets have replaced books, journals, conversation, and even people.

“The internet is bigger than Jesus and John Lennon”, as my favorite band, The Growlers say in their song "Chinese Fountain." We connect and communicate like we never have before, especially with social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr etc. are all social media platforms which we can either get in touch with old friends, openly express ideas and opinions, or even just slap up an over-edited self-portrait known (unfortunately) as the “selfie.”

What’s the harm in any of that? Nothing really, except that once we start, we don’t know how to stop.

Don't think you're addicted? Here are 3 signs you could be.

1. You're Constantly Checking It.

It's so easy to just unlock your phone and tap the little icon with your thumb. You probably do it subconsciously.

Most people tend to check their social media when they're bored, and doing so creates a habit of logging on real quick during a dull minute of reality. It's harmless really until you find yourself scrolling for hours and hours. What are you really doing on there anyway? Don't know? Me neither.

2. You're Always Thinking About It. Even When You're Not Thinking About It.

Or maybe you do know why you were checking up. Maybe you just posted a selfie on Instagram, and you were curious about how many likes it was getting. Or you tweeted something funny on Twitter, and you wanted to see how everyone reacted to it. Orrr maybe you just want to check up on that famous person you follow or stalk someone you used to know from high school on Facebook to see where they are in life now.

Whatever it is that made you tap that bright colored icon, you were thinking about it. And you probably think these thoughts several times a day, causing you to be staring at your phone for several times a day.

It's. Always. On. Your. Mind.

When you're on vacation, do you take photos for the memory, or do you take the ones that you think would look good on your Instagram feed?

Are you enjoying the music at your favorite band's concert, or do you have your phone in the air trying to record a snippet for your Snapchat Story?

Sure, it's all fun and games to share moments of your life, but are you really enjoying the moment if your thinking about what you want to post? You're probably not thinking too hard about it, but it's still taking up space in your mind where only the memory of the moment should be. And it should be your moment, not for the people who follow you.

3. You Can't Bring Yourself To Delete It.

Or even just stay off of it for more than a day.

Have you ever thought about deleting it? Just one simple click to make it all go away. Or maybe you don't want to delete it because you love it and you haven't realized it's taking up so much of your life and draining you.

If you want to prove that you're not addicted and you have self-control, then I challenge you to delete the apps from your phone. Your accounts will still be there, just no longer at the touch of your finger. See how long you can go without redownloading them.

That's easy. You might say at first, but then a few hours pass, and you start to wonder what your friends are doing. You feel like your missing out on something.

Maybe you'll hold out a little longer, but eventually, you will probably give in much quicker than you think. Why? Because you're addicted.

But don't feel bad because almost all of us are, and being addicted to social media doesn't affect you as terribly as something like cocaine, you know?

Or does it?...

Kidding.

But even so, I encourage you to step away from it every now and then. Even in those dull moments of life when there's nothing to do, don't pick up your phone. Just sit there for a moment and really take in your surroundings, wherever you are. Life is happening all around you, even if it's not exciting. In fact, it's always those little, almost insignificant moments in life that end up mattering the most, so don't miss out on those moments because your nose is on your phone.

Take photos of your loved ones on vacation instead of that random tree that would really fit the aesthetic of your 'feed.' Record that hilarious moment with your friends, but don't post it on your 'Story.' Just keep it in your camera roll, so the moment is all yours. Because let's face it, no one cares about what you post more than you. No one is more fond of your memories than you. So do it for you, not for your followers.