3 Mistakes Limiting Your Muscle Growth

3 Mistakes Limiting Your Muscle Growth

4
3 Mistakes Limiting Your Muscle Growth

You're at the gym five times a week, training hard, eating right & still can't seem to get your chest to grow. It happens to the best of us, but lots of people don't realize some of their habits are hindering their gains. Here are some of the biggest mistakes I've seen, and how you can correct them:

Using Too Much Weight- Sure, that 315lbs you put on the bench press may look very impressive, but when you lower the bar 2 inches as opposed to all the way down to your chest, you aren't helping much. If anything, you're only increasing the likelihood of an injury. Drop the weight a little bit and focus more on the form. I always tell people to leave their ego outside the gym. You're not there to impress anyone, and if you are, then you're in the wrong place.

Not Being Consistent- It happens to the best of us. We have some extra time, so we start going to the gym everyday. Four weeks later, it's midterm season and your extra time goes from squatting to studying at the library... and0 you don't get back to the gym until the beginning of the following quarter/semester. Your muscles need the constant work for growth and strength gain. Sure, every once in a while a little week long rest period may be necessary, but don't let one week turn into 4 weeks of rest. Take an hour out of your day a couple times a week and keep yourself sane by pushing some weight. 

Forgetting Your Fruits & Vegetables- When you're trying to put on muscle, obviously you're going to bump up your daily protein intake, but your parents always told you to eat your fruits and vegetables for a good reason. They've got tons of vitamins, minerals, and all around good stuff that your body needs to function properly! Fruits & vegetables are necessary to help your muscles grow. Go buy them in bulk from Costco & start making smoothies! (Just a little tip: Pineapple is a great fruit to mask the bitterness of spinach/kale/other deep green leafy vegetables. Just blend 'em up and enjoy!)

As always, if you have any questions, need some suggestions or are interested in coaching services, feel free to email me directly at JSabbagh@ucsd.edu. I would love to help take you to the next level of fit.