good things, journaling, thankful

We Should All Write Down 3 Good Things That Happened Each Day

It will help remind us that we shouldn't take anything for granted.

104
Flickr

Creating a gratitude journal was one of the best decisions for my overall mental health. It really is as simple as writing down three things that made you happy that day. I started writing them down in a notebook that was less than two dollars at the store. Who knew something less than two dollars would give me an endless amount of smiles?

Writing, in general, gives me a sense of freedom. I love how I write about what I love, what inspires me, what challenges me, and what scares me. The best thing about this journal is being able to focus on the good in life.

There are so many things that we all take for granted. I sometimes take my family and friends for granted, even though they would do anything for me. I love how writing these three things allows me to think about where I came from and who has always been there for me.

I have to admit that on some days it is hard to think of three things that were good. I still struggle with anxiety and sometimes that gets in the way of me having a good day. However, it forces me to think about the little things throughout the day. The best example is being thanked for holding a door for someone with a smile that is across their face.

I remember I heard about doing this in one of my leadership classes. At first, I kind of laughed it off, but now I realize the impact it can have on your life. I am much more positive and willing to learn from my mistakes. I am reminded every day that even when I think my battles are too big to endure, I have so many things to be thankful for.

A challenge that I have for you is to be someone's "good thing" that happened that day. This could mean smiling at someone you don't know, listening to someone who has something on their mind or calling up an old friend. It could change the outlook of their day or even save their life.

Since you know how simple this is now, go out and get one for yourself. If you are creative and want it to be custom-made, then get out some stickers and pens. You are in control of your happiness, not anyone or anything else. You can do this!