Why You Should Study Abroad

3 Big Reasons To Study Abroad

Studying abroad could be one of the best experiences of your life!

96

Studying abroad is something most college students think about, but don't always find ways to go on the trip. While it can be expensive, yes, there are ways to pay for it without breaking the bank. If you are somebody that is thinking about studying abroad, my advice is to go for it. Here is why:

It changes your perspective of the world.

Our society has a habit of being very closed-minded when it comes to other countries. All the bad and scary things you hear about other countries are not true. You learn this when you study abroad somewhere. Last summer, I went on a trip with the Media College to China. Prior to my departure, all I heard from everybody was things such as; "Aren't you afraid of being in a communist country?" "Don't get arrested, they like to take Americans." It was honestly sad all the negative things I heard when I told someone I was going to China. But literally none of that was true. When I went over there, everybody was everything but mean. They were all super nice, and so happy all the time. When you study abroad it opens your mind so much, and proves that the world is not a bad place.

It gives you more connections.

When you go abroad, you get the opportunity to meet so many people. Meeting these people gives you connections with the world. For example, on my trip, I got to meet different reporters and even talk to people that worked with CNN. These connections can do amazing things when it comes to getting a job out of college. Especially if you want to work in a field that deals with the world, or want to work internationally. You never know when you'll need one of the connections you make, so it's important to make them.

You CAN afford it.

Money is the biggest concern when it comes to studying abroad. However, what most people don't realize is that you can afford it. Most universities offer summer financial aid. Therefore, financial aid can be used to help with the expense to go abroad. You can also get scholarships for your trip. I know, when I went to China, I was awarded a scholarship to study abroad. Which helped me be able to go.

If you want to study abroad, it definitely is a life changing experience. You might as well take the opportunity while you can still get the college's help.