3 Big Life Lessons Softball Has Taught Me

I left the game, but it hasn't left me.

186
Jaime Hoskins

After deciding to no longer play the game I've grown with and loved since the moment I first stepped on the diamond, it's occurred to me how relevant everything I've learned in softball still is to my everyday life. Lessons I've learned and experiences I've had from this game are things that I will be able to carry with me forever and it is another reason why I will always love the sport. Here are just a few:

1. Sometimes you will strike out, but you will have other at bats. Take advantage of them.

One of the most frustrating moments you continuously experience in the game of softball would be striking out. Maybe worse; You had a lousy pop-up that allowed the defense to turn it into a double play, or maybe you grounded out to the short stop again. But, immediately you look for that next at bat. You don't just want it and want to redeem yourself, but you know you're better than that at bat you had before. You need that next at bat and you work harder and harder to fix the mistakes you made before. Life works the same way. Things won't always go your way and sometimes you'll bust your butt trying to make do with something that doesn't turn out as planned. But you can't just quit, you will get another at bat. So, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again.

2. Communication is essential.

Softball is mostly a mental sport, and it requires constant communication between players with one another, as well as with their coaches. When you lack communication, that is when you won't succeed. One of the too common errors in softball is when that pop-up in between two players ends in those fielders either colliding or letting the ball drop. They never communicated. But when they communicate, one catches the ball and one is there for back up. Life works the same way. When a problem comes up between you and someone else, whatever it may be, it won't get better until you talk to one another. Let someone know how you feel-- how you think a situation could be better approached. Just communicate. Personally, I know I've lost too many friendships simply due to a lack of communication, and I will not let that happen again. Don't let it happen to you.

3. You have to have work ethic.

Personally, I was never the most gifted softball player. But my goal at every practice, pitching/hitting lesson, conditioning session, game, and everything else in between was to out work and out hustle every person on the field. My goal was never to practice until I could get it right, but to practice until I couldn't get it wrong. It paid off. My hard work was noticed and rewarded, and I became a much more successful player in the process. I became a better pitcher, hitter and fielder than my coaches thought I could be. Once I left the field, I applied it in other things as well, and still it's leading to a great deal of success. Do the best you can do in everything you do. It will pay off.

Even though I left the softball diamond, it hasn't left me. The game and all of the lessons it has taught me is something I will carry with for the rest of my life. Don't just play the game, but learn from it too.