28 Movies to Get You Into the Halloween Spirit

"Do you like scary movies?"

96
Wallpapercave

With Halloween right around the corner there is nothing better than having a marathon full of movies for a perfect cozy (but, spooky) night in with your friends, or even by yourself. But maybe you're just not sure what to watch right now, or perhaps you want to watch something new. Well, I compiled this list of films from what I have watched in the past along with films that I believe are worth watching during the season. So whether you are a fan of the classic horror genre or some of the more kid-friendly films, you are guaranteed to get into the spirit of Halloween.

1.Donnie Darko (2001)

Featuring an all-star cast, Donnie Darko has become a cult classic due to its psychologically mind blowing plot and mix of suspense and science-fiction. Watch a young Jake Gyllenhaal play the obscure character of Donnie, a troubled teen that is plagued by dooms-day like visions after being saved by a giant bunny rabbit. It's dark and twisted ending will leave you questioning your very existence.

2.Halloweentown (1998)

The classic Disney Channel Original movie has remained one of the must-see Halloween movies for every 90's child. The film consists of three siblings that stumble across the mysterious world of "Halloweentown," a place where witches, warlocks, vampires, ghosts, and other creatures can live freely. Its magical story will draw you in from beginning to end.

3.The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Things go awry in Tim Burton's beloved tale of the crossover between Halloween and Christmas. It tells the story of Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, a place that dedicates their entire year in planning the perfect Halloween night. As Jack becomes bored with his own holiday, he comes across "Christmas Town" and attempts to take over the holiday. Along with its catchy songs, this movie remains one of the must-watch films during the Halloween season.

4.Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Yet another Tim Burton film that is perfect for a dark and comfy night in. Set in the Victorian era, Burton's version of the classic Irving Washington novel has Johnny Depp's character, the elusive detective Ichabod Crane on a mission to solve the mystery of the Headless Horseman that has been plaguing the town of Sleepy Hollow.

5.BeetleJuice (1988)

The dead come alive in this classic film about a young couple that return as ghosts in their own house after dying from a car crash. As part of their afterlife, they are to remain in their home for the next 150 years, but are in need of getting rid of the new inhabitants of their beloved house. Since they lack any scary qualities, they elicit the help of the sketchy bio-exorcist Beetle Juice to exterminate the family out of the house.

6.Scream (1996)

Director Wes Craving significantly impacted the slasher film genre with this movie. While still coping with the mysterious death of her mother, high school student Sidney Prescott is plagued by an unknown serial killer identified as Ghostface. And in the small town of Woodsboro anyone could be a suspect. Along with its mystery enthused plot, this film is unique because it purposely satirizes the clichéd elements of the horror movie genre. This film will leaving you wanting to brush up on your scary movie facts.

7.Corpse Bride (2005)

Things definitely don't go according to plan in this stunningly visual film as our main character Victor Van Dort accidentally marries the corpse bride, rather than his bride-to-be, Victoria. In a battle between the Land of the Living and the Land of the Dead, Victor must choose between his new bride or his true love in yet another classic Tim Burton tale.

8.Ghostbusters (1984)

Who you gonna call? Need I say more about this classic 80's movie about three parapsychologists who start their own ghost-hunting business in New York City. Also be sure to catch the all female remake that came out earlier this year!

9.Tower of Terror (1997)

Based on the popular Disney theme park ride, Tower of Terror tells the story of failed investigative reporter, Buzzy Crocker as he investigates the mysterious disappearance of five people at the Hollywood Tower Hotel that took place almost 60 years ago on Halloween night.

10. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

If you are a fan of Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, and Broadway musicals, then Sweeney Todd is perfect for you. Based on the hit Stephen Sondheim musical, the vengeful serial killer, Benjamin Barker (aka Sweeney Todd) returns to his home of London after being locked away following a wrongful conviction. He reopens his barber shop and forms a twisted partnership with the meat pie baker, Mrs. Lovett.

11.The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure in this instant cult classic film of transvestite aliens from the planet Transylvania. The film features the newly engaged couple, square Brad and Janet as their car breaks down and they are forced to stay the night at the castle of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, a mad scientist who is keen on sharing his latest creation: a man named Rocky. Do the time warp again with the fun musical numbers and eccentric characters.

12.Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Never sleep again after watching one of the scary movies that defined the decade of horror during the 80s. Serial killer Freddy Krueger gives striped sweaters and fedoras a bad name in this franchise that went on to make a total of nine films, along with a television series, comic books, and novels.

13.Don't Look Under the Bed (1999)

This is a major throwback to any millennial that grew up religiously watching Disney Channel as a child. Don't Look Under the Bed tells the story of the brilliant Frances McCausland as she must elicit the help of her little brother's imaginary friend, Larry Houdini in order to defeat the "Boogeyman" that has been framing her for the strange things that keep occurring in her town.

14.Casper (1995)

Casper the friendly ghost befriends the daughter of a paranormal expert as they temporarily move in to investigate an abandoned mansion currently inhabited by Casper himself and three other mischievous ghosts, who are determined to scare any "Fleshies" away.

15.The Shining (1980)

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy in Stephen King's story of a writer who slowly spirals into madness as he becomes the caretaker for an isolated hotel during the winter season along with his wife and son. The hotel harbors a strong spiritual presence that influences Jack into gruesome acts of violence.

16.Coraline (2009)

Based on the Neil Gaiman novel of the same name, the Claymation film features the main character of Coraline, an adventurous and free-spirited girl who stumbles across a parallel universe in which her "other mother" provides her with unconditional love in the form of perfect meals and gifts of clothing. Things are not as they seem however when this perfect mother starts to unravel her sinister intentions.

17. Phantom of the Megaplex (2000)

Another major Disney Channel Original movie that won the hearts of many children during the early 2000s. Strange things begin to happen at the Megaplex theater during the night of an important premiere for the fictional movie "Midnight Mayhem." The young assistant manager is forced to solve the mystery of the legend of "The Phantom of the Megaplex" alongside his two younger siblings in order to rid the theater of anymore chaos.

18. The Addams Family (1991)

The famous dark and eccentric Addams family come across con artists who attempt to steal away their fortune by posing as their long lost Uncle Fester.

19. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

Honestly any of the Harry Potter movies will do, but the first film features a Halloween-esque scene where Harry and Ron save Hermonie from a giant troll.

20. The Haunted Mansion (2003)

Eddie Murphy stars in this delightful film about a realtor and his family who are called to a mansion that they soon learn is haunted with ghosts.

21. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Anthony Hopkins delivers a frighteningly good performance as the brilliant former psychiatrist, Dr. Hannibal Lecter as FBI trainee Clarice Starling must confide in him for detail to hunt down a sadistic serial killer known as "Buffalo Bill."

22. Friday the 13th (1980)

Another slasher film that defined the decade of 80s horror movies, tells the story of a group of camp counselors at Camp Crystal Lake who are attempting to re-open the camp years after it had been permanently closed due to a child's drowning. The counselors are murdered one-by-one by an unknown figure wearing a hockey-mask and carrying a machete.

23. Psycho (1960)

Known for his suspenseful and psychological films, Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho is one of his most memorable and jaw-dropping films. The story unfolds as Marion Crane, a Phoenix secretary embezzles $40,000 from her employer's client and runs away only to come across the remote Bates Motel and its strange owner, Norman Bates. The story itself is worth watching, but the most mesmerizing feature is the musical score that accompanies the plot.

24. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

A group of teenagers come across a family of cannibals while on a road trip in this gruesome and gory slasher film featuring the legendary character of Leatherface.

25. The Sixth Sense (1999)

You'll be seeing dead people in this movie that tells the story of a young, troubled boy who is able to see and communicate with the dead, of whom are unware that they have died. He confides in a child psychologist that attempts to help him cope with this sixth sense.

26. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Director Guillermo del Toro creates a fairy tale for adults in this beautifully crafted film. Set in 1944 Spain, the imaginative Ofelia sets out with her pregnant mother to live with her new stepfather, a Spanish Army captain. The real world crosses over with the mystical as Ofelia comes across an abandoned labyrinth and a mysterious faun creature that explains to her that she is a Princess. In order to prove herself, she must fulfill three difficult tasks so that she may be reunited with her father in the Underworld.

27. Halloween (1978)

Featuring the original scream Queen herself, Jamie Lee Curtis, Halloween shows our main character being stalked by the indestructible Michael Myers 15 years after he had purposely stabbed his older sister to death. After escaping the mental hospital he had been locked up at, he finally returns home on Halloween night.

28. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Last but not least, we can't leave out Hocus Pocus. This movie tells the story of the three Sanderson sisters as they are resurrected from the dead on Halloween night after 300 years. It's up to Max, his little sister Dani, and Allison to foil the evil sisters' plot from sucking the lives of the children before its too late.

Well, that is my list of some of the Halloween movies that I believe are worth watching before and during the holiday. Grab some popcorn, candy, and your friends and enjoy a night full of frights, laughter, and a good time.