After every semester, I love to look back and reflect on everything I have experienced during the last 5 months. This past semester was filled with ups and downs, highs and lows, and just about everything in between. However, despite all the times I wanted to throw in the towel and quit, I wouldn't trade this past semester for anything else in the world.
1. Be prepared for the unexpected.
Especially on the first night back and a drunk driver hits the electric box to your apartment complex and knocks out the power for the next 24 hours.
2. It's not a bad thing to ask 262 questions in class.
Yes, I do this and I am not ashamed of it at all.
3. Living with your best friends won't be peaches and sunshine all the time, but it will be an overall good decision in the end.
Yes, we have our moments (or at least I do), but I wouldn't trade living with these three girls for anyone else.
4. Don't park your car close to a designated flood zone during a flash hurricane.
Hurricane Michael, you took my first car by drowning her in three feet of water. #RIPMeredith.
5. You aren't going to like every class related to your major.
For the most part, I love my CSD classes, but Language and Literacy was not my favorite.
6. Having a brand new Starbucks on campus will deplete your bank account very, very quickly.
Especially if it's the only coffee place on campus.
7. You won't be friends with the same people from year to year.
Especially if you figure out one of them may or may not be a complete psychopath.
8. You also won't be a part of the same clubs and organizations.
Sometimes, you have to learn to make those tough decisions.
9. Neuro may or may not decide to kill you half the way through the semester.
I have no idea how I made it through this class alive.
10. Getting a C on one exam does not determine your final grade.
It's just one grade. You will be okay.
11. Being "too" busy is a thing.
Don't be like me and overbook yourself for weeks on end. It's not fun.
12. You never know who you're going to meet, so take a chance with new people.
Who knows? This new random person may become one of your best friends!
13. It's okay if you don't go to the gym every day.
My goal is 3x a week. Sometimes this happens, sometimes this doesn't. It's all about balance.
14. Treat yourself.
This can be through the bi-yearly Lilly Pulitzer After Party Sale or whenever L.L. Bean had a 25% coupon. (Guilty and guilty.)
15. It's also okay to have a bad day every once in a while.
We are human, after all.
16. Be thankful for everything your parents have done for you.
From fully paying for my college education to buying me a new car within a week of my last one drowning, I have realized how blessed I am with the mom and dad I was given.
17. Don't go to sleep angry.
Talk it out, and I assure you, you'll feel a million times better after.
18. Be nice to everyone you meet.
You never know what kind of day someone else is having.
19. Stay in touch with old friends.
You won't regret it.
20. Don't take things personally.
You're only hurting yourself.
21. Volunteering in your community will brighten your day.
Especially when you get to see your favorite first grader smile every Friday.
22. The world isn't going to end if you're given (yet another) mental health diagnosis.
OCPD, I'm ready to fight.
23. You don't have to drink to have fun.
Being the only sober one at a party is actually pretty fun when you see all your friends doing really stupid things.
24. Don't buy 27635 pounds of 1/2 price Halloween candy on November 1st.
Odds are, you won't finish it, and you'll probably hate candy for a while after eating it for two weeks straight.
25. Leave some time in your schedule to just do nothing.
This is my goal for next semester!
26. Know that everything happens for a reason.
There's a season for everything, and like fall, winter spring, and summer, they don't last forever.
I can't wait to see what second semester brings at my favorite school!