25 Truths About Minnesota From An Outsider

Minnesota might be weird, but it's a good weird.

1622

Don't get me wrong, I love Minnesota. I've lived in a few different states but at this point, I've lived in the great state of Minnesota for over half of my life. While I consider myself a Minnesotan, I'm not a native to this state which has given me a unique perspective on the many quirks and oddities of the Land of 10,000 lakes. Here are 25 things that outsiders can almost immediately notice that'll make them say "uff da".

1. The 'Minnesota Goodbye' has got to be one of the most torturous experiences ever. Hey Donald Trump! You want to bring torture back? Put people in a room with Minnesotans and don't even bother guarding the door. They'll be stuck in small-talk mode until their heads explode.

2. What is the deal with this non-sense?

3. Electing a dog and a kid are bad enough, but Jesse Ventura? Why?

4. The saying is "Minnesota Nice" but "Minnesota Passive-Aggressive" is probably more accurate. (BONUS GIF)

5. "Uff Da" is a thing that exist and I don't know why.

6. People say "I'm going to the cabin for the weekend" when what they really mean is "I'm going to a SECOND FREAKING HOUSE".

7. Unpopular opinion: The state fair is super fun and really impressive, but the need to put everything on a stick or carve faces into butter is just...odd. Plus, lot's of state fairs put food on a stick! Why does Minnesota act like it has a copyright on putting food on a stick!

8. "We don't sound like that!", said the girl with the thickest Minnesotan accent you've ever heard.

9. People go to Target just to walk around.

10. What lake you go to is an indicator of social status.

11. Speaking of Prince, if a celebrity is from MN, no Minnesotan will let you forget it.

12. There are way too many Super America's.

13. Minnesotans may hate the Packers, but they hate Iowa more.

14. Walking into the Mall of America for the first time is like

15. The Boundary Water Canoe Area is a god damn national treasure.

16. and so is the rest of the north shore

17. Minnesotans are either in constant denial of the weather

18. or extremely well acclimated

19. Minnesotans can use anything to get snow and ice off their car. Got a credit card? No problem!

20. Small talk consists of one or more of the following: "Gosh, this weather!", "How bout them Twins/Gophers/Vikings/Wild/Timberwolves/etc.". So if you don't watch sports and the weather has been mild, you are out of luck.

21. Hockey Hair "flow" is something that people are actually proud of.

22. 3 words: Tator Tot Hotdish

23. Wayzata, New Prague, Mille Lacs, the list goes on. You can almost bet that you are going to mispronounce multiple Minnesota city names

24. Despite being obviously located in the north, that doesn't stop farm-town or central Minnesotans from flying the confederate flag. First off, it's disgusting. Second, the south lost. Third, it makes no sense.

25. Despite all of Minnesota's quirks...

Stay cool Minnesota! Get it? Cool? Because of the winters and stuff?