24 Statements That People in the Hotel Industry Can Relate To

The hospitality field is an interesting place.

64
Alexa Bomersbach

After working in the hotel industry for three and a half years, I have realized that I have the pleasure of experiencing many things that not many people can say they experienced. There are many different departments that keep a hotel running, but I have geared this post towards the front desk/guest services department. If you work at a particular busy hotel like I did, you will find most of these statements a common occurrence.

1. When a guest leaves their photo ID in the car and puts up a fight when you tell them that they can't check in without it

They then hold up the line as they walk out to their car to get their ID, and usually they don't try to rush.

2. When people flirt with you in hopes of getting a discount on their room and/or merchandise

As enticing as it would be to date a single dad old enough to be my father/grandfather, I think I will have to pass.

3. When a guest complains that their room isn't ready at 10 am even though it is clearly stated that check-in is at 4 pm

It is your fault for coming in on a Sunday morning expecting there to be rooms available even though we are sold out every Saturday night.

4. When a guest asks if you are allowed to take tips, you excitedly reply yes, and they walk away without giving you a tip

What kind of sick, cruel joke are you playing with my emotions?!

5. Clopening shifts

For those of you who do not know what this means, it it when you close one night, and open the very next morning. It is also known as the shift of hell.

6. The check-in rush

When you feel so overwhelmed at the amount of people that your brain turns into a robot.

7. The chaos of night shifts

Check-ins are finished, but the night is young... and full of needy, complaining guests.

8. People who come in on the wrong day and try to act like it isn't their fault

You were e-mailed the confirmation paper with the reserved dates, maybe you should have checked it before you came?

9. People who try to leave without paying their tab

Time for me to track down your purchase history and I will find a card that you forgot to cancel. Nice try, though.

10. When people insist on paying their $1,718.95 deposit in cash

If you are going to pay in 20 dollar bills, do not complain when I have to counterfeit check each and every one.

11. When you have to deliver birthday packages that people paid money for, and other people complain that their child did not receive a package

You can get one too, for a hundred dollars!

12. When people think that screaming and causing a scene is going to grant them a giant discount/free gifts

Congratulations! You are going to be the topic of my dinner conversation this evening.

13. When people ignore you explaining the hotel map and then immediately cut in the front of the line to ask where something is

If you would have just listened in the first place, we would not have this problem!

14. When you have to deliver a package, but there is a "do not disturb" sign on the door.

You have to decide between entering the room when you're not supposed to, or having to deal with an angry guest later that day about how they never received their package.

15. When it is past check-in time and rooms still aren't ready

Can I join the housekeeping team for a few minutes so I can stop getting screamed at by people?

Yes, all of these attributes are negative, and despite the hair-pulling moments, there are so many amazing moments that hotel employees experience that make up for the stressful times.

16. When a guest tells you a heartwarming story

There are some guests who you feel a connection with, and they will tell you about something inspiring that they did. I've had to hold back the tears a few times because of how much a story has gotten to me.

17. When a child gives you a gift

I absolutely love receiving colorful bracelets and drawings. Some people throw out the gifts at the end of the day, but I have kept every gift that I have been given, because I feel happy knowing that a child took time out of their day to make me a present.

18. When you think you are doing the guest just a small favor, but you actually bring them to tears

There have been occasions where I had given a guest a free upgrade. It is just a small switch in the system, but they would be brought to tears, and they would tell me how they have been struggling in life lately, and how that made their whole vacation.

19. The holidays

I grew up in the north, so I have always associated snow with Christmas. Now that I live in the south and snow is a rare thing, it is difficult for me to be in the holiday spirit. The Christmas decorations and the special events immediately puts me in the holiday spirit.

20. Building relationships with guests

My favorite part about checking in guests is that I get to learn where they are from, why they are vacationing, etc. Some families would come back so often that we would remember each other.

21. The discounts

Nothing feels better than being able to travel and stay at a different hotel for more than half of what other people pay. It is perfect for vacationing on a tight budget!

22. The notes that guests leave for you

I have received letters and comments based on how I made their experience amazing. Positive feedback is what keeps me going.

23. Free food

A lot of times, there will be birthday parties and the parents overestimate the amount of food that is needed. I have been given an entire cake, chocolate, pizza, and a lot of my other favorite foods. It tastes even better when it is free, in my opinion.

24. Falling in love...with work

The hotel business isn't for everyone, and after being out of it for almost a year, I miss it dearly and cannot wait to go back to it. I never expected myself to fall in love with creating memorable experiences for families, and I love being able to meet and converse with new people every single day. I feel myself with this job, since I am a bubbly person. I cannot wait to finish earning my degree and having the ability to continue working in the hotel business.