23 Things I Learned By 23

23 Things I Learned By 23

Wisdom is the best gift.

71

Every year, I feel a little wiser. My friends and family have taught me so much about life, and my experiences have given me some extra insight.

With my birthday coming up, I've done a lot of reflecting on what I've learned over the past 23 years.

Not Everyone Will Like You.

That's okay. There are other people who will; spend your time on them.

Eat Dessert Whenever You Can.

Life's too short to pretend you don't need it. You do.

Take Photos Often.

They're a good reminder of what you love.

Think of Your Feelings First.

Then think of others. They can wait.

Spending Money is Easier Than Saving It.

Or earning it, for that matter. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Stop Caring What People Think.

Not everyone will like you or want you to succeed. Their opinions shouldn't influence your behavior or decisions, so don't let them get you down.

Apologize for Your Mistakes.

Take responsibility and apologize when you mess up. It shows maturity.

Read As Often As Possible.

When you think you've read enough, read some more.

Take Care of Your Body.

Work out, eat well, take the stairs instead of the elevator. It's easier to create good habits while you're young.

People Change.

It's normal, and it's okay. You'll change, too.

Never Stop Learning.

Take a class, read a book, or watch a YouTube tutorial. Keep expanding your mind, even after school.

Your Parents Are Your Best Friends.

They really are, even if you don't see it till you move out. They want what's best for you and will always support you.

Get Rid of Toxic People.

Even if it's hard to do, get rid of people who bring negativity to your life. You'll feel better without them in your life.

Cut Down Your Screen Time.

Live in the moment, instead of through a screen. Experience the concert instead of livestreaming it, enjoy your meal instead of posting it, and spend time with people you love instead of taking selfies.

Listen to Music Often.

There's a song for every mood.

Failure is Inevitable.

It's okay to fail. You'll do it a lot, which can be discouraging, but what matters is that you get back on your feet and try again.

Stop Comparing Yourself to Others.

Don't waste your time wishing you were someone else. Live the life you have and let others live theirs. Life is too short for jealousy.

Follow Through...

...on EVERYTHING! Follow through on your plans, your goals, and your commitments. It's harder than bailing, but will be worth it in the end.

Do What Makes You Happy.

Instead of settling for something in your life, do what you want.

Going Out Isn't More Important Than Everything Else.

Don't prioritize going out over taking care of other things. Do your homework, call your mom, and save money. Food and drinks are expensive.

It's Okay to Have a Small Circle.

As long as you surround yourself with people who support you and love you, you don't need anything else. Having a few close friends is better than having lots of acquaintances.

Forgiveness Is Good for the Soul.

Not everyone deserves forgiveness, but it's important to forgive when you can. You shouldn't carry all that negativity with you.

You Deserve to Be Happy.

You do.