5 Thoughts/Feelings About First Apartment In College
Life Stages

The First 5 Thoughts You Had When You Rented Your First Apartment

The world just got a little more scary.

75
https://www.everypixel.com/search?q=apartment&stocks_type=free&image_id=13801648574136801824

Growing up I imagined what it would be like to live in an apartment and be able to say that it's mine. College has dorms, but it just isn't the same. Dorms have things about them that restrict certain activities and just feels like it isn't the real thing. My roommate and I recently agreed on an apartment for the upcoming school year and the process of renting one is well underway. Here are my first five thoughts about renting my first apartment:

I'm going to have to cook for myself.

Living in the dorms, I've always gone to the dining halls or other eateries around campus. Well, now I'll no longer have a meal plan so I'll have to mostly eat in my apartment. Now is probably the time to learn how to cook.

2. I'll have to worry about rent.

The building I'll be living in has rent due every three months so I'll have to remember to pay it then. It'll be one more thing to worry about but it will be worth it in the long run.

Hooray! It's not part of campus.

One of the great things about an apartment is that it isn't part of the campus. I live on a dry campus and it very strict about the rules so living off campus will allow me to be a 21-year-old. It'll be nice being able to live my life with fewer rules.

Parking is cheaper.

The university I attend has a parking fee of $75 per year. Having lived on campus for three years now, my car has been allowed to be parked on campus for $225. Parking at my apartment will be $5 a year. I'll be saving $70 that can be useful for other things such as school supplies.

It'll give me a little space.

My university is all about coming together to have fun and create memories. While that is nice, it sometimes is overwhelming. I have in the past been called out on my "lack of school spirit" all because I wanted to relax after a long day of classes instead of joining in on something I had no enjoyment in. Living in an apartment will give me a place to relax without being looked down upon for not wanting to participate on every little thing. I'm already involved on campus. I can only do so much.

I can't wait to move into my apartment and live the life I dreamed of growing up. It'll be great!