22 Things I've Learned In 22 Years

22 Things I've Learned In 22 Years

...while feeling happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time.

205
22 Things I've Learned In 22 Years

Now that I'm 22, I can tell you that if you acquire any knowledge at all from this list, it's most important to note that the rule of this particular age is that it is mandatory to have a daily 4-minute dance party to '22' by Taylor Swift...you know, just to get the full experience. That being said, there's a lot I've still yet to learn. I certainly haven't figured out the male species or time management or how to save the world from the messes we make, but I have managed to figure out a few things...

1. Traveling is the thing that you've been looking for.

It's the fresh air your lungs need. That extra breath they've been looking for to gain some insight. So travel while you can. Figure the money out. Just do it.

2. Drop the friends that don’t belong in your life.

Make more room in your heart for those who are willing to make room for you. Know your standards, know your limits. Don’t let anyone stay in your life who’s only there to drag you down.

3. You CAN make it through whatever you're going through right now.

You've survived every obstacle you've faced in life thus far (including the celebration of your 21st birthday–chock-full of embarrassing mistakes and highly questionable life choices), you can survive this.

4. Put on your own oxygen mask first.

Taking care of the people you love may be number one on your list, but it’s also important to take care of yourself, so do what you need to do. One of my best friends is always repeating the flight stewardess mantra to me of putting on your own oxygen mask before helping others put theirs on...and it's finally starting to click in my brain.

5. Love them loud while they're here.

Hug your dog while he's here. Hug your grandmother and your mom and your dad and your siblings and everyone you love. All the time.

6. Write it down.

Write when you’re sad. Write when you’re happy. Write when you’re feeling something or nothing or everything. The words on the paper will tell you what you’re thinking.

7. Open your eyes to the world.

Don't let the world make you hard. Don't become blind to what's going on. Learn about how living things are being treated and do what you can to help.

8. Vote.

9. Always read.

Sometimes you get distracted with reality and forget how much pleasure different worlds bring you. Wrap yourself in a book, little alien, let your brain run wild.

10. Don’t be afraid to seek help.

Whether this entails pushing the fear of feeling like a burden to your friends aside or finally telling your doctor about your mental illness, you’re being proactive in the process of healing.

11. Be vulnerable.

If not directly around other people, be vulnerable through your art. And let people see your art.

12. Stop drinking coffee.

It gives you anxiety, man. Just make yourself a cup of tea instead.

13. Learn to trust.

It’s important to realize that no one knows you better than yourself, but sometimes you need to trust your ability to surround yourself with the right people and listen to those around you.

14. You’re never too old to call mom for help.

She's been on this earth long enough to have a lot more wisdom than you, my dear, and she's on your speed dial for a reason.

15. Basic human necessities can't be ignored.

SLEEP IS YOUR FRIEND. SLEEP IS YOUR HEALTH. ALSO PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DRINK SOME WATER.

16. Erase what society's taught you.

It’s hard and weird and important to unlearn all the things that society has taught you your entire life. Make sure you do it.

17. Learn to listen

Open your mind and listen to other people who’ve experienced different things than you have. Stop thinking about your own story. Don’t talk over them. Just listen.

18. Don't fall asleep with your makeup on.

IT DOES NOT HELP SEND THE MESSAGE TO YOUR SKIN THAT YOU’RE ON THE SAME TEAM. Use your makeup remover to wipe away both the makeup and the stress of the day.

19. Just because someone fancies you doesn’t mean you’re obligated to have feelings for them.

It’s okay to give things a try and it’s okay to say no. IT’S OKAY TO DO WHAT YOU WANT AND NOT FEEL VEHEMENTLY GUILTY ABOUT IT.

20. Know the difference between someone liking your presence and valuing your mind.

Pay more attention to those who are actually paying attention.

21. Self-care is not selfish.

Taking care of yourself is a full-time job. Take the time you need to do what you need to do.

22. Don't put too much pressure on life itself.

Don't let the brightness of the past, the blandness of the present, and the unknown darkness of the future kill you. Let it drive you. Tell stories of the past, make the present count, and do what you can to light up the future.