21 Unmistakable Signs You're From New Jersey

You know you're from the Great Garden State when...

8804
Town News

I moved to New Jersey in September 1997, when I was only eight years old. While I certainly don't know every little aspect of the Garden State, I do know of some unique features that scream Jersey Pride.

1. Wawa is not gibberish. In fact, it is an amazing chain of convenient stores!

This particular chain of convenience stores is limited to New Jersey. I often overhear people mention to the clerk that there is no Wawa where they live. Where else can you get your gas pumped and get great mac and cheese at the same time?

2. There is a significant difference between North Jersey and South Jersey.

Those residing in North Jersey typically like New York sport teams such as the New York Jets, New York Giants, New York Knicks and the New York Rangers. Those residing in South Jersey typically support sports teams based out of Philadelphia, such as the Eagles' football team.

3. Meanwhile, the constant debate about whether "Central Jersey" exists continues.

As someone who has resided in Monmouth County for almost 20 years, I firmly believe that my county is a part of Central Jersey.

4. Which NJ Parkway exit you live off of matters.

Whether it's Exit 100 A or 100 B, it matters, a lot! When you find someone that lives off of your exit, you are instant BFF's.

4. It's Great Adventure, not Six Flags.

We Jerseyans are fortunate to have Great Adventure & Hurricane Harbor in Jackson, conveniently located off exit 16 off of I-195. Six Flags may be the name of the entire "chain" of theme & water parks throughout the continental United States. However, if you are a true New Jersyan, you know it is Great Adventure

5. Also, it's "The Shore" not the beach.

We are going to have a fun a fun day on the Jersey Shore, not the Jersey Beach!

6. We don't pump our gas, and even if I wanted to, it's against the law.

I didn't drive outside of the state until I was 24. I never learned to pump gas because I have only lived in New Jersey & it's actually illegal for someone to pump their own gas here.

7. We cannot stand it when out of state visitors ask if we are like the characters on MTV's Jersey Shore.

Not everyone living in our great state looks or acts like the characters of that awful show. It displays a stereotype that simply isn't true for a majority of the state.

8. Traveling on main roadways and highways in the summer, especially on the weekends, are unbearable.

There are parts of the day wherever you live where you know when certain roadways will be filled with traffic and we try to avoid taking those routes if at all possible. The traffic problem only worsens between Memorial Day and Labor Day, especially on the weekends.

9. Pork roll (especially Taylor Ham), egg, and cheese is a New Jersey breakfast staple.

I feel bad for the poor people in other states who don't know the delicious taste of crisp pork roll, egg and gooey cheese from a bagel shop down the street. What do they eat?

10. We have jughandles instead of left turns.

What is a left turn? We find it more fun to go in a complete circle to get to where we are going around here.

11. We navigate through traffic circles with ease and attitude.

Look up at number 10, we have become pros at going completely out of our way to get places.

12. We practically worship Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi.

These New Jersey natives are on all of our spotify playlists and we love to brag about how they are from New Jersey even though everyone answers wit, Yeah I knew that.

13. It's pronounced Jersey, not "Joisey"

I'm not really sure how this one got started, but I have never heard anyone here say it this way unless they were joking.

14. We are fortunate to have 24 hour diners so people can grab a quick bite at 2 a.m.

New Jersey is the diner capital of the country! If you want Pancakes at 2 a.m., we've got you covered.

15. The unofficial state bird is the middle finger, and we are not afraid to use one or both of them.

When we deal with idiotic drivers, sometimes all we need to do is flip them the bird and be on our merry way.

16. However, the official state bird is the Eastern Goldfinch.

Oh, so this is the actual bird of New Jersey. Who knew? However, it does not make as much of a statement to flip someone off with a Goldfinch.

17. You know of, or have been to, Gunnison Beach, a nude beach located in the very back of Sandy Hook.

This one speaks for itself. I don't think I have to explain what you find here.

18. New Jersey's Met Life Stadium houses the New York Giants and New York Jets.

This stadium hosts iconic artists and shows as well as both the New York Giants and Jets. You will get varying opinions on whether the Jets or Giants are better.

19. We have at least 50 shopping malls and outlets all over the state.

If you want to shop, we have you covered. On the boardwalk, in an outlet mall, or a local mall, we have lots of places to spend money and get the lovely 7% sales tax.

20. We experience all four seasons, sometimes experiencing more than one in a few days time.

Last night I went to bed in shorts and this morning I am snuggled in a blanket. Yay?

21. When people mention "The Oranges", we know they're not referring to the actual fruit.

No, the oranges are not a family of Oranges that live in our state, they are towns.

These are just a few of the ways that you know you are for sure from the Great Garden State!