21 Blatantly Obvious Signs You Grew Up Catholic

“The Prince of Egypt” is basically your childhood.

673
David Besh/Pexels

During the hectic processes of moving to college and moving houses, when I was packing up my room I found eight rosaries, five religious books, 3 crosses, pictures of Jesus and of course my Bible.

These discoveries made me realize that there are some obvious signs that someone grew up Catholic because it is completely normal to have at least one picture of Jesus in your room, right?

1. Jesus was EVERYWHERE.

The kitchen, the living room or even the bathroom, Jesus was -and still is- EVERYWHERE.

2. You have a bible from every stage of your life.

Starting off with a children’s version of all Jesus’ miracles until you finally stepped up to the real deal.

3. Your 1st Communion outfit was probably the fanciest you’ve looked in your entire childhood life.

Out of all the events in your childhood, this one was without a doubt the most exciting for your parents and family members -primary school graduation probably couldn’t even come close to this one.

4. Having to say grace before eating becomes the longest wait of life.

God might be a member of the family but the food is getting cold and your stomach is rumbling way too much. Let’s just say at this point, if you were at the Sermon on the Mount in your current condition, you would have eaten all of the fish and loaves before they could be given out.

5. Being involved in any religious activity got you instant brownie points with your relatives.

Altar service, youth group, church community service volunteer -or maybe even all three. Your various religious hats came with some welcome privileges.

6. Strangely enough, sometimes you actually preferred church activities with your youth group friends.

Regardless of how you met your church friends, the period of your involvement in church also involves the creation of some wholesome friendships. Whether or not they’re still going strong or they’ve become a nice memory, church activities brought some fun times and sweet people.

7. You have clothes in your wardrobe that are explicitly reserved for church and nothing else.

Church requires your best outfit and every week, shoes, clothes and hair were on point. Yes, I know, “render your hearts and not your garments” but still. For me, each week was a new look and I gladly seized the opportunity to wear the clothes that I couldn’t wear during the week.

8. Good Friday Mass sounded like a good idea before you actually had to sit through the mass.

You went into it thinking it was a good idea but 3 hours later, all goodwill has dissipated and you just want food and a bed.

9. Confirmation classes were just as important as SAT classes.

After school or Saturdays were strictly reserved for those classes and any complaining was quickly shut down by a disapproving stare and a Bible verse from your parents.

10. Rosaries, rosaries and MORE rosaries.

A rosary was the perfect gift for any special occasion: Birthdays, Christmas, graduation and of course, 1st Communion and Confirmation. By now, your rosary collection rivals your jewelry.

11. Confession was a wild time.

There's something very reassuring about a confessional box. I mean, the fact that you can tell this priest anything and they cannot reveal a single detail about it is very liberating. Basically you leave the confessional about 10 pounds lighter, and there is a priest out there who knows all of your secrets.

12. Spring break is for praying.

To your friends, Spring break is for partying and going to the beach as much as possible but for you, spring break involves watching "The passion of the Christ," getting through the tail end of lent and going to at least one of the masses during Holy Week. You might party a little bit too but you have to make time for your buddy Jesus.

13. “The Prince of Egypt” is a timeless classic.

Whether this movie was played on a lazy day at Catholic School or you watched it with your family, this compelling drama always left you SHOOK. It was and still is the perfect starter movie, before you were old enough to watch more dramatic ones like “The Passion of the Christ.” Even now, you watch it with fond memories and a large bag of popcorn. It’s on Netflix, by the way, just saying.

14. You often found yourself giving your friends a sermon when faced with tough decisions.

All those years of religious education and church services paid off because now you have an arsenal of sayings, quotes and parables when faced with tough times and this relates to your friends also. It’s not strange for your advice to contain a little help from above, but don’t worry, they usually thank you for it later.

15. Praying is second nature.

Any situation -good or bad- warrants a prayer, either one of thanks or intercession but either way after you talk to God you feel way better.

16. Lent revealed your worst and best habits.

Sticking to a sacrifice as simple as not eating chocolate becomes way harder than you think, but it also instills with you a level of dedication and persistence. After the 40 days, regardless of how many hiccups, it feels good when you stay true to your sacrifice or sacrifices, if you’re ambitious.

17. Blessings from the priest are KEY.

From cross necklaces to a new car or even a house, a little blessing goes a long way.

18. Going to sleep without praying feels strange.

You feel like you’re missing something and it’s better to say your peace before turning in for the night.

19. The after church feeling makes you feel prepared for the rest of the week.

Whatever is thrown at you, you’ll keep your cool and get through. Not forgetting to pay Jesus another visit next week of course.

20. A calming quote or inspirational parable was sometimes necessary to avoid losing your temper.

When someone was truly testing your patience, you often recited “What would Jesus do?” to avoid shouting them into the pits of hell.

21. When you say Jesus was your day one homie, you REALLY mean it.

Your earliest memories of life were pictured with crucifixes, Bible stories, church activities and religious movies. From your baptism to your first steps and first words all the way to your high school graduation, Jesus was there through it all and even now you are still buddies...hopefully.