28 Signs You Attended Catholic Grade School

Lifelong memories.
1467

There are definitely pros and cons to attending a Catholic grade school, but I loved my time in a Catholic school and would not trade it for anything. Looking back now I am sure many can relate to the life of when you attended your Catholic grade school.

1. Uniforms were the greatest because you never had to pick out an outfit every day.

2. But, you were sometimes jealous of your friends who went to public schools because they go to pick out an outfit everyday.

3. Shirts must always be tucked in and do not forget those shirt tails.

4. The infamous plaid uniform skirt must be no shorter than two inches above the knee. You thought twice about rolling up your skirt and every time you did it was totally obvious.

5. Girls had the option of crew socks or knee-highs, boys did as well: crew socks, or if they were feeling rebellious, ankle socks because they did not show under their pants (fingers crossed for no uniform checks).

6. Every morning began with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer.

7. No nail polish, no makeup, and minimal jewelry.

8. Boys must have short hair.

9. Sundays were not the only days you attended mass. Sometimes "you were not feeling too well" the morning of all school mass.

10. You always wanted to be picked to do something in church; first reading, second reading, responsorial psalm, petitions (different student for each petition), taking up gifts, alter serving.

11. Before your First Communion you would practice with crackers and juice because First Communion was a huge ordeal.

12. So was who walked up the aisle with you for May Crowning.

13. Do not forget to "leave room for the Holy Spirit" at dances or socials.

14. Grace was always said before lunch.

15. Picture day meant you went shopping for a new outfit.

16. The out-of-uniform/dress-down policy was stricter than the uniform policy.

17. You were assigned a Saint for All Saints' Day or even dressed up as one.

18. People dropped like flies during The Stations of the Cross.

19. Everyone played more than one sport. Tryouts were intense and waiting to see which team you made was nerve-racking; A team, B team, or C team.

20. Religion class. The hardest class.

21. Having a nun as a teacher was not uncommon.

22. Blaming the PRE or CCD kids if anything in your desk was touched, or worse, disappeared over the weekend.

23. You always wanted to sit somewhat near your crush at Mass so you could shake their hand at peace or better yet, next to them to hold their hand at the Our Father.

24. The best church songs had hand motions to them.

25. Friday lunches during Lent meant fish sticks.

26. You knew everyone in the entire school.

27. You're still close with your friends from grade school because they're family.

28. You created lifelong memories and looking back you would not change a thing.