21 Lessons Learned through 21 Years

21 Lessons Learned through 21 Years

A reflection on life lessons

16
21 Lessons Learned through 21 Years

Just recently, I celebrated my 21st birthday. With that came the congratulations of entering adulthood, something that made me reflect on my twenty one years on this earth. As a result this list was formed, twenty one lessons I have learned as I have walked through life.

1. Mistakes are always worth learning from.

With failure, there is an opportunity for growth, wisdom, and understanding.

2. Family is so much more than blood.

My support system over the past years has become loyal friends, those who chose to stick around when they didn't have to.

3. People can help you, but only if you let them.

Don't be afraid to open up to others. You'd be amazed at how much others can relate to you.

4. Part of being human means being kind to everyone you meet.

It's easier said than done, but I have to remember that we are all a part of the human family.

5. It's okay to be on Plan B.

You have to take a semester off to work so you can pay for school, you changed your major because you realized what you are doing isn't the right fit, that's okay. Life doesn't alway work out the way you want to.

6. Love comes in different forms.

I am beyond loved by God, family, friends, and my dog. I don't need a significant other to realize that.

7. Wounds heal. Bad times don't last.

Time allows the pain of the past to disappear and somehow you learn to cope.

8. Faith doesn't help you survive, it helps you live.

Faith gives you purpose to yourself and the world around you. It allows you to live life to it's fullest, to comfort you in times of stress and pain, and help explain why things happen.

9. Love passionately in all your relationships.

Family, friends, everyone.

10. If you're scared, you are probably doing something right.

Life is not worth living if you don't push yourself to do better.

11. When you work hard, it will pay off.

Working hard makes the reward that much sweeter.

12. In order to heal, you have to put in the work.

It's going to be hard and painful before it gets better.

13. Getting an education is important.

Educating yourself is much more than getting a degree. It's about knowing what is going on in the world around you, exploring different cultures and people.

14. The more educated I am the more I realize I know nothing.

There is so much more to learn.

15. It's important to have an open mind.

Not everyone is going to have the same opinions as you. It doesn't mean they are wrong.

16. The little moments are just as important as the big ones.

Life is not about just celebrating graduations and weddings. It is also about embracing the joy you feel when you drive in the car, jamming to the radio with friends.

17. If life doesn't challenge you, it won't change you.

Challenging yourself helps you grow, don't be afraid to.

18. Tomorrow is a new day.

Tomorrow you can start over, be better, fight harder.

19. If you put your mind to it, you can change the world.

You can make a difference, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

20. Being mentally ill is nothing to be ashamed of. You should be proud to have survived it.

Having depression or anxiety means you have to fight a little harder, be a little braver. You are a warrior that has survived one of the worst things imaginable, fighting the thoughts in your own head.

21. God is with you always.

Always.