2016: The Year I've Been Waiting For

2016: The Year I've Been Waiting For

I looked forward to exercising my right to vote, but now I am scared to even have the opportunity.

17
2016: The Year I've Been Waiting For
Grid Peeps

2016 was supposed to be my year. Since I was old enough to understand the world (and basic math), the year I turned 18 was the one thing I always held on for. I would be graduated from high school as valedictorian, heading off to an Ivy League, completing medical school to become the first doctor princess — the princess title dropping after I realized that was a bit too unrealistic. I could go to the casino and earn thousands of dollars, every child's dream, but be wise enough to not fall for the trap of bright lights and loud noise. My license would be my best friend as I went to work and made bank to afford clothes, birthday gifts and a dream glass house with two elevators and a chocolate fountain in the room affixed to my kitchen. Most importantly, I would have my life figured out as I voted in my first election for president — yes, I was a kid interested in politics.

I was naive about a lot of things as a kid, but I am content with how most things turned out. I completed high school with three tassels and a National Honor Society sash, despite not being the valedictorian — thankfully, because I could not have written and executed a speech as well as my class's. I'm not going to Harvard to study medicine, but rather a smaller school to study psychology and become a child life specialist. I have yet to go to the casino, due to not having money and my fear of succumbing to the busy room and cheers of those who got lucky and made it big. I am too afraid to get behind the wheel and drive, and I just got my first real job as Editor-In-Chief at the UWRF's Odyssey; the former I am OK with, and the latter I am more than OK with. All of these did not turn out as planned, and my life has still turned out OK; however, the one thing I was looking forward to the most has become my biggest worry: voting.

I do not know if anyone who has voted before me has felt this way, but I feel like my age group got screwed over with the presidential election. I am, along with millions of other Americans, having to vote to between the lesser of two evils. On one side, there is a racist, simple-minded man child running off the Republican ticket, and on the other, we have a lying, scheming female in a pantsuit running as the Democratic nominee. I'm scared.

Trump has a mouth on him; there is not a single doubt about that. Every interview and speech he gives are filled with putrid hatred that many commend for "saying what everyone is thinking." Not everyone is thinking the Mexicans should be responsible for building a wall to keep them away from opportunity. It's wise that Trump justifies Mexico paying for the wall with the American-Mexican trade deficient (of about $54 billion), but it's still preposterous. Making them pay for something they can hardly afford will hurt their economy, and in turn, hurt America's. Our right to privacy is a basic human right; however, Trump hopes to eliminate Internet security. Global warming is a myth, "an expensive hoax" according to him, but we can not deny the world is getting warmer. The ever expensive secondary education will continue to rise with his budget cuts to education.

He overgeneralizes and stereotypes millions of individuals and hundreds of communities. Mr. Trump, you grew up in a world of privilege; you don't know what it's like to face adversity. Not all Muslims are terrorists, not all Mexicans are rapists and not all women are capable of supporting a child even if they are pregnant. I am not a "bimbo" just because I have boobs. No female is, even if she is promiscuous. Assuming President Obama did a poor job because of his race is sickening. Learn to respect the majority of the population you are campaigning for. You're the Joker. We aren't your playing cards.

Clinton is no better. Although I agree with many of her policies and I chuckle every time I think of the "delete your account" Tweet, I fear what she is known for will be her demise. Clinton became the first female nominee of a major political party, something huge to me as a feminist, but I don't know if I like the way it's being received. Yes, it's a big deal, but by making a big deal of it, I feel like it diminishes the idea of equality, where it's more special to be a female president than being the actual president. If we exploit the divide, it only makes the divide worse. The constant scandal surrounding her worries me too. Time after time, scandal after scandal, she always sits "confused" and "unaware." Sure, the release of the private emails may teach her not to go behind America's back, but I fear it also might make her more sneaky. She means well, but meaning well and doing well are two different things.

She's for gay marriage, yet she has said she believes marriage should be between a man and woman. That's inconsistency there. We need to raise more money? Tax the rich more. Coming from an upper middle class family, one that follows under the "rich" bracket, it does not mean we can cover the taxes. My family does well, but we still live paycheck to paycheck, given the fact that my mother is unable to work due to a disability, and the crazy amount of money that goes into health insurance and medical bills leaves us little wiggle room. She believes the world's business is America's business, and that we should help other countries. Although I admire helping others and believe we should to an extent, America needs to learn how to help itself first; we're voting between two people that we hope won't screw our country over after all. Mrs. Clinton, I am proud of you for making advancements in female history, but I am not proud of the shady things you've done. I am not proud that you are the face of a revolution that should have happened ages ago. You're Two Face.

Next is our departed Bernie Sanders. I was heartbroken when he dropped out, but when I came to think about it, he would not have done much. Free tuition would be amazing, coming from an incoming college student, but how is it covered? Increased taxes on those with more money and decreased budgets for different crucial things. With great things come a loss of great things. He was our little underdog, I thought, despite the few things that would be successful, but when he had to stop his fight, his millennial replacement became Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson. A lot of people have started to view Johnson's policies as Sanders' (at least he's not Trump or Clinton), but this is far from the fact. Libertarians support minimal government. Good given the belief that the government has too much to do with our society, but with that comes minimal governmental protection for things like civil rights (and a continual lack of birth control covered by insurance, similar to a once-Republican ideal), little economic activity if the economy were to tank like it did following Bush's presidency and a lack of global initiatives. Laissez-faire takes on a whole new meaning.

Voting third party is pretty risky. Johnson is associated with Sanders, and Sanders' with Hillary. If people who would have voted for Hillary vote for Johnson, that is taking votes away from Hillary. The scenario explained is merely an example that may become fact, and I want people aware: Say you need 50 votes to win. Hillary gets 26 and Johnson 24 (assuming those 24 stood by Clinton before they knew of Johnson). That leaves 50 votes, all for Trump, leaving Trump triumphant. Enough people don't pay attention to third parties, and maybe I'm pessimistic, but I don't think enough will vote against Trump. Despite seemingly rooting for Clinton, I am still undecided, and I will continue to be along with millions. My vote comes from a heavy heart and apprehensive thoughts. I'll be going against my parents' ideals, some friends' and even some morals of my own come November; I guess I can't get everything I want (unlike Trump who seems to believe).

2016 has come, 2016 will go. There's still time left, and although equally good and bad things have come, I have a feeling the infamous Tuesday in November will be a choice similar to burning alive or drowning. We have to choose the lesser of two evils. Happy adulthood to any of those who became eligible to vote in this upcoming election. It's just like everything we've hoped for, right?

Hillary Clinton On The Issues.

Donald Trump On The Issues.

Gary Johnson On The Issues.