2016: My Year In Review

2016: My Year In Review

Live for the future, don't dwell on the past.

11
2016: My Year In Review

Since middle school, 2016 was always the year I looked forward too. 2016 is the year I graduated high school, the year I started college. I always believed that 2016 would be my year. Even though some great things happened this year, I may have been wrong.. Like every other year, this one brought bad and good times, but overall, I learned to always wake up and be grateful for what I have. I got into more trouble than I should have, but I also was blessed with some great experiences.

This year I lost too many people that I will forever wish I could spend just one more day with, write one more letter to, or pick on just a little bit more. I'm starting to learn to hold your loved ones close, always.

I cheered at my very last high school basketball game, attended my very last prom, and graduated high school with the people I have grown up with for the past thirteen years. Just like that, high school was over in the blink of an eye. I was sad to graduate, but thankful for all the lessons I learned in my four years there.

I learned what it's like to split my time up between mom and dad, and let me tell you, it's not all that fun. My parents split up this year and while at times it has been hard, I am happy that my parents are happy.

My mom and I go on a lot of what we like to call, "adventures" and this year did not disappoint when it came to them. We stayed at WIU this summer for my freshman orientation and it really made me wish I could just bring my mom to college with me. I was really happy I had her there with me to get to know campus a little better, and to explore my new home for the next four years.

I met family I didn't even know I had, and got to finally visit the beautiful state of Wisconsin. The memories I made while on that sad and short vacay, I will forever cherish. Wisconsin is now one of my favorite places in the world.

This year was a great year for my favorite sports teams, so I guess it wasn't completely terrible. I got to see my Denver Broncos win the Superbowl and say goodbye to Peyton Manning. Not only did I get to go to my first Chicago Cubs game in May, but I also got to witness history in November when my beloved Cubbies FINALLY earned their first World Series win in 108 years.

August came around and it finally came time for me to start college which was a huge adjustment for me. It has been nothing I ever thought it would be, and so much better. I never thought it would be so hard to watch my parents and my brother leave me, but it was. It got easier though as I made friends and got familiar with campus. I live by myself which at first was strange because I have always been used to having three other people and two dogs around all the time, so going from that to being the only person living in a tiny dorm room was a big change. I am so thankful though to go to the same college as my boyfriend, who helped me so much when things got hard. With a guy like him, I didn't get too homesick, and my bad days weren't so bad. My first semester of college I would say turned out to be a somewhat-success.

My best decision I made this year would have to be the moment that I signed my bid with Phi Sigma Sigma. In these last few months of 2016 I have learned so much and changed so much thanks to my sorority, and I can't imagine my life without the sisters I have now. In Phi Sigma Sigma, I have met my best friends, my family away from home (or pham as we like to call it), and sisters I have always wanted. I am already taking on leadership positions and stepping out of my comfort zone to do amazing things and I owe it all to Phi Sigma Sigma.

Looking back at 2016, I can honestly say the year changed me. I am not the same person today as I was on January 1st, and I am incredibly thankful for that. With that being said though, I will be very glad when the year is over, and I am excited to see what 2017 has in store for me.