9 Trends In The Early 2000s Making Their Comeback

The rebirth of choker necklaces, overalls, denim on denim, and more.
630

The early 2000s weren’t just defined by Britney Spears’s abs, "Dawson’s Creek," Abercrombie & Fitch logos and the sounds of Blink-182, as important as those pop culture pillars were. They were defined by a distinctive set of trends that evolved from the 1990s grunge and minimalist-femininity. It was a colorful, expressive decade that wasn’t as reliant on past trends as the decade we’re in now, and we loved every second of it. From watching the Olsen twins in literally every movie DualStar ever produced (and obsessing over their fashion statements in the process), to stacking black plastic bracelets to seem angsty when we wanted to be Avril Lavigne, to asking for Jessica Simpson's candy makeup-line for Christmas just to own even more flavored lip gloss, we certainly didn't miss out.

Today, the trends of the early 2000s have the benefit of still being fresh in our minds, while producing major nostalgia factor; after all, every millennial wore them the first time around. And as the cycle of fashion goes, there are a plethora of trends already coming back with a new and fresh take. While there are certainly popular styles from the decade that we hope won’t be back (ahem, foam platform flip-flops, sequin bras as tops, fishnet tanks, and pocketless jeans), there are a few that 2016 is already welcoming with open arms and you know we're loving it even more than the first time. "Goodbye Lizzie McGuire, Hello Fabulous!"

1. Choker Necklaces

The 2000s Way:

The Current Way:

2. Denim on Denim

The 2000s Way:

The Current Way:

3. Ultra Crop Tops

The 2000s Way:

The Current Way:

4. Track Suits

The 2000s Way:

The Current Way:

5. Lip Gloss

The 2000s Way:

The Current Way:

6. Lace Up Tops

The 2000s Way:

The Current Way:

7. Overalls

The 2000s Way:

The Current Way:

8. Namesake Necklaces

The 2000s Way:

The Current Way:

9. Halter Tops

The 2000s Way:

The Current Way:

Ultimately, it seems that our parents were always right -- fashion does recycle over time. But to say we're not secretly excited that we still have our hair crimper tucked away in our bathroom closet (and probably are going to try and dig it out), would be a complete and total lie. Maybe our childhoods in the 2000s were the best times of our lives, but our style has certainly been refined with the coming of the 2010s (actually having clothes that fit and the post-puberty bodies to put in them). With these styles coming back, it looks like we no longer have to choose our favorite decade -- we get the best of both.