10 Things I've Learned in My 20 Years of Life

Reflecting On The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly As I Say Goodbye To My Teens (Yikes).

157

As I enter my birth-week, (whoop whoop) I decided I should bid a proper adieu to my teenage years. Your 20s are supposed to be the best time of your life...right? Either way, I'd love to share life lessons, no matter how stupid they may sound, that will allow me (and anyone who wants to try them out) to welcome a new year of life with optimism and a glaring lack of bullshit.

1. Order the burger, forget the salad

I don't care if Spring Break is the next week, you don't need to cleanse or diet to the extent that you drool over a picture of a burger. In the grand scheme of things, you will be so much happier that you enjoyed a filling meal with your friends instead of looking .5 inches thinner in your bikini picture.

2. Stay up the extra hour later to hang out with your friends

Whether you're tired or have some homework to finish up, you can't replace the 1 a.m. memories you make with your friends. Sitting in a room and talking, or just running around f**king shit up-those are the moments you can never get back. You will get your homework done and you will still graduate, I promise.

3. Talk to the person next to you in class

Everyone in your lecture hall is just as miserable as you. Getting through a semester is a LOT better with someone to talk to and do homework with. You may surprise yourself and make a lifelong friend-I made two best friends because I was brave enough to talk on the first day and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

4. Take every stupid, spontaneous opportunity

Don't be the shy one that sits back and watch, be the person that grabs the microphone and does karaoke in front of an entire restaurant. Shake the guest speaker's hand and give them your number for an internship. Dance on a table... sober. Life is too short to not.

5. Don't be a shit-talker, be that annoying, positive person

No one will ever hate you for boosting them up TOO much. If you have something to vent about, do it! Don't keep it all in. But never maliciously say something that you wouldn't say to someone's face. Tell your feelings to someone you're frustrated with so you can get over it and just be happy.

6. DO NOT hold grudges

It is so not worth your energy. Let someone go if they are really that bad, but I'm totally a sucker for second chances.

7. Don't give up what you love because you're "getting older"

If you love drawing, do it every day. Post pictures of it. Be proud of it. I was a dancer my whole life, and ever since the first day of college, I've missed it. I've found ways to keep it in my life, and it is such a stress-reliever. Do what you love every day. Make a career of it if you can! Shit, I hope these articles make me famous so this can be my job.

8. Give the people you love lots of attention, even if they act like they don't want it

If your friend is in a mood, they might not want to wallow in their sadness alone. Squeeze them and make them watch funny videos with you. Take them to Starbucks and jam out the whole way there. It's much better than walking away and letting their shit day get shitter.

9. Wear whatever the f you want

Don't check your friend's outfits before you go out. Wear what you feel good in. I'm the first one to wear a bright yellow outfit when everyone else is (slaying) in black. Buy something fun, if you wear it with confidence, you'll always look trendy.

10. Just laugh it off

If you embarrass yourself, fail one quiz, or say something dumb in front of everyone, don't let it make you feel lesser than. Laugh it off, there is so much more to life than staying quiet and letting a bad feeling consume you. If it helps, sometimes I look up how big the universe is in comparison to Earth and I remember how irrelevant stupid shit is.

I'm going into this year with an open-mind and badass attitude, and even if it's not your birthday, reinvent yourself to do the same! Hit me up with any life lessons I haven't realized or hit me up with a birthday present. I like Taco Bell, Starbucks, and Gucci. Thanks!