20 Tips For A Happy Relationship

20 Tips For A Happy Relationship

Tell each other you love one another.

972
20 Tips For A Happy Relationship
Sierra Ardanche

Relationships are hard. Emotions can run wild and insecurities can fly loose. Having a happy relationship is hopefully a goal for most couples out there. I’ve been incredibly blessed to be in a relationship where I feel secure, loved and beyond happy. Here are just a few things that I've learned that I think every couple should do in order to be happy in their relationships!

1. Trust each other.

I feel like this is a no-brainer. If you don't trust your boyfriend/girlfriend, why are you with them?

2. Be an active listener.

Even if it’s a story you’ve heard a million times already, listen.

3. Communicate.

Communication is key in every relationship and friendship. If something feels off to you, talk to your partner about how you're feeling.

4. Respect each other.

This is so important. Respect each other when it comes to everything. This can mean your religious and political beliefs to your privacy and alone time. Don't date someone who doesn't respect you.

5. Be affectionate.

Hugging and holding hands with my boyfriend is my absolute favorite. Be affectionate with your partner. It'll definitely brighten up their day.

6. Spend quality time together.

If quality time is your love language, this is incredibly important. Spend uninterrupted time with your partner. Even if that means both of you are working on homework or reading books together, it's still time that you guys spend together and that's special.

7. Compliment each other.

Compliments are always super sweet, so take the time to notice when your significant other shaves or if they dress nicely that day. The little things matter.

8. Be thankful for what your significant other does for you.

This doesn't necessarily have to apply solely for big gestures. Thank your significant other for listening to you on a bad day or for making your day brighter by being there. Again, it's the little things that matter the most. (But you should also be thankful for the grand gestures too.)

9. If you disagree on something, talk it out in a calm manner.

Fighting is rough in every situation. Sometimes it's good to say "We have to agree to disagree." Just know that it's always better to listen with an open mind.

10. Say "good morning" and "good night" when you can.

These are super sweet gestures that can happen through text. It's as simple as saying, "Good morning! I hope you have a great day!" These texts from my boyfriend are my favorite because they are a positive and loving way to start off my day and to end my night.

11. Talk to each other about how you're feeling.

Even if it’s embarrassing or scary, talk about it! This could help you both out in so many ways.

12. Laugh together.

Find inside jokes together that you can laugh about or make funny faces at each other. Laughter is the best medicine, after all!

13. Go out and make memories together.

Go to an art museum or see a band that the both of you like! If you can't afford that, go for a walk together. These things can help create unique memories for both of you to smile back on and remember in the future.

14. Ask each other questions.

I love asking my boyfriend ridiculous questions. It helps build conversations and I love getting to know more and more about him.

15. Support each other.

No matter what, always support your significant other's dreams and ambitions. Be happy when they succeed at something they’ve worked hard at. Being a good support system for each other is key.

16. Don't be afraid to be open and honest.

If they really love you, they’ll want to know how they can be there for you, even if what you’re going through might be tough to figure out.

17. Learn something new about each other, even if you think you already know everything about them.

People are complex! Always strive to get to know your partner better. You might realize you have more in common than you originally thought.

18. Try new things together.

One time I played foosball with my boyfriend for the very first time. He definitely beat me, but it was fun playing a new game with him!

19. Don't hold grudges.

Grudges lead to resentment and that’s not fun! Talk about your problems before they build up into something they don’t need to be.

20. Remind your significant other that you love them and care about them every day.

Who doesn’t like a casual reminder like that? Tell your partner that you love them, just so they know you care about them throughout the day.