20 Things You Learn When You Grow Up In Iowa

We might not be the most well-known states, but trust me we're one of the greats.

314

1) Weather is unpredictable

One day it might be 25 degrees and the next it could be 58 degrees. We don't ask questions, we've just learned you never really put away summer clothes or winter jackets. You never know what the weather will bring.

2) There's nothing you can't put on a pizza

To non-Iowans I'm sure breakfast pizza (bacon or sausage, eggs, cheese, and crust) would sound bizarre. Ever crave tacos and pizza at the same time? We've got you covered with the ever famous taco pizza. Dessert pizza (cactus bread) is also common in our state. The perfect blend of sugary goodness with frosting and fruit? Yum! Yes, they are just as good as they sound, you just have to give them a chance.

3) The state fair is no joke

Everyone has attended the state fair at one point in their life, but none are quite like Iowa's. If you haven't witnessed a 600 pound cow made entirely of butter you haven't lived and you most certainly have not been to the ISF. The butter cow is not all we have to offer the state fair includes an array of fried oreos, fried candy bars, any food you can imagine. We also have a large selection of crafts and rides and some top notch concerts.

4) It's true what they say, everyone is nicer in the Midwest

This one doesn't require much explanation, just come visit for a day and you'll see right away people in Iowa have such kind personality about them. Even Patrick Dempsey called Iowans nice people. I'm just saying we're McDreamy approved.

5) Everyone goes to the river

When they say the river they don't mean a little stream, they mean THE river. The Mississippi river is the place to camp, we don't really have "beaches" or go down to the shore here. We all have cabins or houses or even permanent spots to put our campers when we go to the river. We also build sand castles on the sandbars of the river and we find oyster shells. It's kinda like the beach but um.. less glamorous and more muddy, but we're not complaining.

6) Scotcharoos are a bake sale MUST

Need to raise money for your school club? Bake sales are a start but if you have scotcharoos there you will make bank. The perfect blend of rice krispies, peanut butter, and chocolate. What more could you ask for?

7) Corn

It's truly everywhere. It's inevitable, if you're in Iowa you will see corn, and if its summer time you will have sweet corn at every meal most likely. Shucking corn husks is a competition and it can get pretty intense. Corn is just another food group to us Iowans.

8) Small towns are gems

Iowa has so many small towns. Yes, my grandma probably knows your grandma and my family could spend hours connecting who is who. However, small towns are gems to themselves. Home to so many little shops and antique stores. They might not sound so intriguing to an outsider but take a moment to appreciate just how homy they are.

9) Family is important

One of the biggest focuses in Iowa is family. Everyone lives near their family and family dinners are huge. We like to stay in the towns we grew up in and we stay connected with our high school friends. Together our whole small town is family like.

10) Detasseling is a good source of $$$

Growing up in Iowa this is everyone's first job. We all tried it, and while the work might've been brutal we made crazy good money. What's a couple of scrapes going to hurt?

11) We take athletics seriously

State competitions are a serious event here. High school athletics are college level for us and our college level sports are more of a pro level for us. We take our athletics very seriously and we know our competition. I didn't say we were good, I just said we take it seriously.

12) Being late because you were stuck behind a tractor is a legit excuse

This is no joke, it's very realistic to be stuck behind a tractor, combine, or any other slow moving vehicle on the highway. There's no getting around it sometimes. During the summer it's probably best to incorporate some tractor time into your ETA.

13) RAGBRAI is a serious mission

Thousands of bikers riding across the state for seven days, traveling around 470 miles every year is a serious event here in Iowa. Living in a town that the bikers normally go through we know, you never know what you'll see when RAGBRAI comes to town.

14) Homecoming is a holiday

The football game itself is like Thanksgiving, everyone comes home for the game, showing the school spirit. Then you have the dance which is our second prom. We go all out for homecoming here. You have to be here to appreciate a homecoming in its prime.

15) You haven't seen a real Farmer's Tan till you come to Iowa

You've never seen a farmer's tan like an Iowa farmers tan. Some people might find the bottom half of their arms embarrassing or unnatural but here in Iowa it's nothing special. We've seen them all, but we do happen to own some of the most intense farmer's tans out there.

16) Sunrises/sunsets are truly magnificent

Maybe it's the way the sun looks in between corn stalks, but there is no need to go to the beach for a lovely sunset. Iowa summers are the best time to witness some of the most beautiful sunrises you'll ever see. I've heard the sunrises are just as pretty but I don't think I have ever been awake to witness one...oops.

17) Education is a priority

Not only do we take athletics seriously, Iowan's also make education a huge priority. Iowa has a 90.8% graduation percentage, also Iowa is ranked 17th in the nation for highest standardized test scores. I don't know how much convincing you need but I'd say thats pretty amazing.

18) Culture is important

Iowa is also one of the most culturally diverse states. Iowa is one of the leading states that refugees are making a home in. Iowa has roughly 3,134,693 people. Out of these people there are so many different cultures.

19) Not everything is bigger in Texas

Iowa is home to the World's Largest Strawberry (15 ft) found in Strawberry Point, IA. Not only does it look delicious, it's also the star of the town. Cool, right? Not only are we home to the largest strawberry we also claim the title for World's Largest Frying Pan in Brandon, IA. Trust me the pictures in the pan are Insta worthy.

20) Appreciate everything

I've only lived in Iowa for seven years now, but in my time here I have learned to appreciate everything this state has to offer. I might have resented moving here a while ago, but there is no place I would rather call home than the Hawkeye State.