20 Things I Have Learned In 20 Years

20 Things I Have Learned In 20 Years

I think everyone should learn how to change a tire and cook a meal by 20.

51
20 Things I Have Learned In 20 Years
Flickr

I have been alive for 2 decades. That is mind blowing to me, yet it seems so short. In honor of my 21st birthday coming up soon, I'd like to share 20 things I have learned in my 20 years.

1. You don't have to be like everyone else.

This seems rather simple and it really is. I have always been someone who enjoys things that not a lot people do. You will be okay and you will find friends.If I did, anyone can.

2. Never leave a fudge pop in your backpack.

I was 5 and in kindergarten when I found this out. I wanted to save it for later, so I stuck it in my backpack, and then got extremely upset when it ruined my books. Basically, don't waste your energy holding on to something you know won't last very long.

3. If your sister says "lets do backflips on the trampoline at the same time".....Don't.

One time my sister said this to me, and she ended up in the hospital with a broken wrist. How does this apply to my life as a 20-something? If someone presents an idea that sounds terrible, just don't go through with it.

4. Buy a lot of alarms if you know you're a heavy sleeper.

I am the queen of oversleeping. My dad used to bang on a pan with a wooden spoon to wake me up. It took me until I was 20 to figure out that I should have multiple alarms to wake me up and keep me up. This can be applied very literally.

5. Learn how to cook more than EasyMac.

This just makes sense, lets be real. There are a lot of things that I have learned how to cook that are super easy and good for you. It is a part of growing up.

6. It is never too early to save money for the future

It is a good idea to do for either a rainy day or just like if you want the perfect wedding or a new car. An easy way to do it is to put the excess cash in your savings account at the beginning of the new pay period no matter how small or large the sum is.

7. Find something to stand for.

As the old saying goes "if you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything". So, find something you feel strongly about and hold on to that belief.

8. Speak only good things

This is very hard. However, I have learned that speaking negative things does almost nothing. Speaking positive things into existence is extremely possible and that is something I just recently learned.

9. Always pay your bills first

Another money tip: pay your bills first. That way, your business is taken care of before you go spending it all at the mall like I do

10. EXPLORE

This is a huge one. As a young person you are blessed with the opportunity of being able to explore the world without having many obligations to leave behind. It is important to go places and do things so you can experience the world in different ways, after all it is a vast place.

11. Post whatever you want on the Internet, regardless of how "perfect" it is.

In this day and age, everyone is on the Internet, and everyone is presenting themselves the way they want to be seen. Of course, no one wants to be seen in a bad light, but I think it is important to at least be authentic and human.

12. Learn how to change a tire

This is just important. Learn how to do it. One time I got stuck on the side of the road and called 911 to help me because it was 11pm and I was in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. You know what is in Hattiesburg? Not a lot, especially not at 11pm.

13. Makeup is something to be proud of.

A lot of people shame those who love makeup. A lot of guys say that girls are prettier without makeup or that they "cant trust us" because we are skilled makeup artists. I say, that it is a choice and if you want to slay everyday go for it. If you want to go au natural that is also acceptable. Makeup is an art and something to really enjoy

14. Never bleach your hair

It just turns out straw-like and you will regret it. If you want to dye your hair just try your best not to bleach it unless you plan on cutting all of the dead hair off.

15. Be sure to watch out for trash cans

This sounds weird I know, but trash cans and myself have not gotten along throughout my life. My only successful bike run is on film when I was 6, and ended with me crashing into a garbage can. I once knocked off my rearview mirror while on a narrow road. Someone had pushed their can too far out into the street. Road blocks will be in your way every now and then so be cautious, but don't let them stop you.

16. Stand your ground in a male dominated place

This especially pertains to getting your car serviced. Let them know what you need, that you will only accept the lowest price, and refuse anything other than the best and quickest service. Be a strong, independent woman.

17. You will be "In love" a lot.

I went through a phase where I thought I loved everyone I met. I now know I had no idea what I was talking about, but at the time I just really loved their attention. I mean, it is something we all go through, so just be aware that it is coming and you won't know you have fallen victim to it until it is over.

18. Don't be afraid to sing and act like an idiot in the car

My friends and I used to sing at the top of our lungs until we had no air left. It was liberating. I didn't care who was watching or how bad I sounded. When you are really enjoying yourself you wont be self conscious, so if that means singing "A Thousand Miles" White Chicks style the so be it.

19. Find a favorite book or movie

This is only important because finding a favorite book or movie makes it easier to have ice breaker conversations. It is also nice to be able to articulate all things you think are important in life by a simple title.

20. Learn to make the most of each day

You are never going to get this day back, ever. It is a heavy thought, but so true. You can never go back in time, so live a life you won't regret or be ashamed of. Love wholeheartedly, and freely and you will feel happy with the end result.

I know I am still young and I still have many more things to learn, but I feel like I know way more things than I did at 10 and I hope to find even more things to learn by the time I am 30. So for now, I am living in a golden age and waiting for the next lesson.