20 Things I Learned By 20

20 Things I Learned By 20

Follow your heart, eat some pizza and let life do it's thing

25
20 Things I Learned By 20
Gabriella Castillo

After an entire summer of being 20 years old, I've had some time to reflect on my years as a teenager. Most of the time people say they are adults when they turn 18 while others say once you turn 20 or 21 is when you're really considered an adult. I've found this to be true especially after experiencing half of college and being able to be independent. I have learned a great deal of things in my 20 years and will to continue to keep learning by making mistakes and experiencing life. Here are 20 things I've learned by age 20.

1. Change is a good thing

Change is everywhere. Change in major, change in job, moving and friends. These changes are a good thing so you shouldn't be scared of it!

2. Curves are beautiful and don't let anyone tell you different

Honestly, any body is beautiful and don't let anyone tell you different. When I was in middle school and high school I was bullied for my natural hispanic curves and now that I'm older, I can see that I shouldn't have ever let that get to me.

3. Always be kind

Being kind in a world that's full of hate and anger can only be a good thing. Smile at people, pay it forward, and be kind. It will help keep you grounded and can get you far in life.

4. Always be open to new things..

Life will offer you many new things and you should always be open to them. Don't live life in regret and "what-ifs." Eat new foods, take a yoga class and go on a date!!! You'll be surprised at what you enjoy.

5. ..but it's ok to say no

If you feel that something isn't your speed at all, or you're genuinely afraid, then you shouldn't feel pressured to do so. It's ok to not want to do something.

6. It's ok to cry

Crying can only help. Sometimes you need to cry to let it out, don't be scared to cry it out.

7. Surround yourself with positive people

Surrounding yourself with positive people and people with the same interests as you can lead to amazing things! You don't want to be around negative people who constantly bring you down.

8. Follow your heart

This is one of the most important things I learned. Following my heart and not letting anyone discourage me was a big part in me being happy.

9. Call your parents

Sometimes all you need is to hear your moms voice asking how you are. Calling your parents when you can and whenever you need to is perfectly ok.

10. It's ok to make mistakes

Mistakes are how we learn. We make them and we learn from them.

11. Bad days exist

Bad days happen, but they don't mean you have a bad life. You're allowed to be upset but don't let it kill your vibe for the rest of the week.

12. Naps are essential

You may hate naps as a kid but there may be some nights in college where you'll be up studying and get 3 hours of sleep. Naps are essential at this time. Even if it's a rainy day and you just want to lay down.

13. You will change your career path

You will change your major too.. again and again and again. That's totally ok! You want to be doing something that you love.

14. No one cares if you decide not to go to a party

Absolutely no one. You may get some persistent people that want you to go, but if you don't want to go and decide not to it's not going to haunt you for the rest of your life.

15. Study study study

Study as hard as you can and get the best grades to get to where you want to be!

16. Take as many pictures as you want/can

A picture is worth a thousand words. I was given the gift of a polaroid camera to document my life and all my fun events. I love having a hard copy polaroid picture of things I can look back on!

17. If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough

Your dreams should scare you a little and you should always want to reach them.

18. Travel whenever you can

You may not get the opportunity to go to a different state or country with your friends and families, so if you have the time or the offer you should take it!

19. Things happen for a reason

We may not find out what these reasons are for a while, but just know that some things happen for a reason.

20. Life is short so take advantage of all the time you get