20 Thanksgiving Conversation Topics That Aren't Politics

Because we all have that one relative that takes it a little too far...

60

Thanksgiving is approaching fast, and for most that means family gatherings. Although there's nothing quite like a home-cooked feast after trying to ration out chips and queso for a full week's meals, family time does come with it's awkward moments, especially this year. That's why I put together 20 topics that you can whip out when that one family member decides that passing the stuffing is the best time to talk about one of the most controversial elections of all time. You're welcome.

1. The food

All the relatives love to hear that whatever they brought to the table this thanksgiving was amazing. So go ahead, gush over the how creamy the pumpkin pie was or how your grandma cooked the turkey so perfectly, I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

2. How Grandma needs to learn how to work her iPhone

No Grandma, the Cloud is not an actual place and not an actual cloud. No Grandma, you should not be using the eggplant emoji.

3. Black Friday deals

This option is great because you can scope out your favorite products at the best prices, map out game plans for the next day, look over coupons to find the best deals, and just mentally prepare for the craziness ahead.

4. Your blossoming career post-graduation

Whether you just scored an internship or full-time job, or are still trying to figure out your minor, relatives love to give their unwarranted advice. Embrace it.

5. Sports

Yay! You even get visuals for this one, with the Thanksgiving football games on TV in the background. Consider topics like the Vikes continuing to disappoint for yet another year, or how Aaron Rodgers's life has changed post-brother Jordan's Bachelor fame; they'll have your whole table talking.

6. Your Christmas wish List

It's never too early to implant ideas into your relatives' brains, especially when the next time you see those relatives will be around a Christmas tree.

7. How your weird cousin does cosplay full-time now (or insert whatever weird quirk the family outcast has here)

We know Pokemon Go was huge for a moment, but this? This may be too much.

8. Your embarrassing family moments

We all have them, so might as well laugh at and with each other during another holiday event! Maybe you farted during church one Easter or maybe your brother cried on Santa's lap when he was five; anything is game.

9. Chunky potatoes vs. smooth potatoes debate

Which is better? Is the texture really that different with chunks? Take a side.

10. Starbucks 2016 red cups

There are 12 different flirty and festive cups this year--how delightful, Aunt Kerri! And look Uncle Mick, they even have Thanksgiving stuffing sandwiches--how amazing!

11. Netflix shows

This year Netflix has absolutely crushed it when it comes to their original series. From "Black Mirror" and "The Crown", to "Narcos" and, of course, "Stranger Things", I have no idea how they are going to top this year's television streaming excellence.

12. Specifically "Stranger Things"

How could your parents, aunts, and uncles not love to fully reminisce in all things 80's? Stranger Things is truly the show that brings all generations together at your holiday table. You can talk all things Barb (does she matter? does she not?), whether you think Eleven is alive, Winona Rider making a comeback, and of course, how adorable Dustin is.

13. How a girl found a mouse sewn into her dress from Zara

Maybe it's best to wait until after you're done eating for this topic, but how heinous is that? This news story also serves as a reminder to keep your eyes peeled during all those sales so you don't have a little friend come back home with you.

14. Awkward family photos

Everyone has them, now it's time to whip them out! Bring on the denim on denim, braces, and awkward phases. As terrible as it was to take those pictures, they really become hilarious as time goes on.

15. All the "Friends" Thanksgiving episodes

The turkey on the head, the Geller football championship, and of course let's not forget when Rachel attempted to make the dessert. "Friends" Thanksgivings are the best Thanksgivings, so why not talk about them over your dining room table, or even watch them after the football games are over? As Chandler would say, could this be a better conversation topic?

17. The new album drops coming up

Coming out of all this darkness are some amazing new albums. We were honored this week with a killer album from A Tribe Called Quest, and there's a Childish Gambino album and The Weeknd album on the way! And if those jams fail to strike a chord with your family, new John Legend and John Mayer tracks will soothe them until it's time for Christmas music.

18. Hit musical" Hamilton"

Yeah, yeah, you don't get why this is such a big deal because for the amount of people gushing about it, so many people haven't seen it. Well, now with the cast album, documentary, and mixtape coming out, you can't escape Hamilmania.

19. The Chicago Cubs

Because what other underdog story spans literally all generations of your Thanksgiving table besides the Cubs winning the 2016 World Series? Go Cubs, Go!

20. What you're thankful for

This may seem like the obvious thing to discuss, but it's so nice to come together and share what you are all are grateful for despite everything else that's happening in your family's busy lives.

P.S. In an ideal world, you and your family could talk politics politely over the dinner table and all grow from that discussion, but alas the world is not perfect and some people don't know when to stop, (like that aggressive relative who never stops posting heinous political commentary on Facebook) so this list is for those times. Happy Holidays!