20 Songs That Don't Mean What You Think They Mean

Some of them with ruin your childhood.

5535

Songs are an important part of our lives! We have grown up listening to a lot of songs, even without caring about the lyrics! How would you feel when you get to know the actual meaning of the song? Here are a list of songs that are not what you think they mean!

1. Macarena - Los Del Rio

This has to be on the top of the list, as this is the first international song I have listened to. I used to groove and sing whenever this song came on TV. But now I don't think the same, when I found out what the song actually is about! Macarena is about a girl named 'Macarena,' who had a boyfriend named Vitorino, who was part of the army. She cheated on her boyfriend, by sleeping with two of her friends. So yes, this song is about cheating! Shocking right?

2. Namak Ishq Ka - Omkara

Another song that should be on the top of the list! I was 13 when this song came out, I was so mesmerised by Rekha Bharadwaj's unique voice! I also wanted to learn this song! But everything changed when I found out the actual meaning of the song. This song is about having oral sex. This thought still haunts me now!

3. Right Where You Want Me - Jesse McCartney

Again, I was 13 when this song came out! Just like many teenage girls, I used to be crazy about Jesse McCartney, and I was and still am a Disney fan! This song used to make me blush and smile! I used to sing this song everyday, and I had known the lyrics by-heart! This song had come in the film "Return to Halloweentown," and I was mad when they had put in a different version of the song! It took me years to realise that it was right for the film to play a different version, as I had found out what the song was about! This song is about a boy wanting to have sex with a girl. Yes this was an obscene song. The one in "Return to Halloweentown" was a clean version. Now I don't think the same about this song!

4. Hotel California - Eagles

Many people think that this song is about people travelling and checking into a luxury hotel. I thought the same too, until I found the actual meaning of the song. This song is about self-destruction and greed in the music industry. This is shocking and deep.

5. Rukumani Rukumani - Roja

My childhood song. I thought it was very unique. I thought it was just a loving honeymoon song. But listen to the lyrics, then you will know the actual meaning. It is an obscene song. This song is about voyeurism. And it shocks me that an old lady is singing such lyrics. Wow never expected this from an A.R Rahman soundtrack.

6. Every Breath You Take - The Police

Many people thought that this is a classic sweet love song. But it actually isn't. This song is about a stalker, a possesive lover, who wants to control his lover's actions. Even the songwriter Sting admits it by saying, "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle, little love song." Shocking right?

7. Khada Hai Khada Hai - Andaz

I had thought that this song was cheesy. Then I had seen Anil Kapoor's interview on Koffee with Karan, when he had said that this was the most irritating and disturbing song he has ever done, and that he and Juhi Chawla even fought with the producers. It was when I found out that this song is very perverted. I got the meaning of the "aashiq" khada hai! Don't know how to feel.

8. Ringa Ringa - Slumdog Millionaire

The video did give us some idea that it was raunchy song. But didn't know the lyrics were dirty too. If you take it literally, its about a bed bug crawling under the skirt of a lady, and the things she experiences. But now if you see the lyrics closer, bed bug means something else. This song is about seduction and sex.

9. Poker Face - Lady Gaga

I always thought that Poker Face has no meaning, and its just a song we can dance too. But I was surprised to know the actual meaning of the song. Lady Gaga admitted that Poker Face is a song about her experience with bisexuality, where she was with a man but fantasising about being with a woman, hence the title "Poker Face." Now I started seeing the song differently.

10. Summer of '69' - Bryan Adams

Most people thought that this song is about Summer in the year of 1969. But it actually isn't. Bryan Adams admitted that this song is about sex. Wow that is shocking!

11. Total Eclipse of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler

We were all right about the fact that 'Total Eclipse of The Heart' is a love song. But did you all know that this song is about a vampire love song? Yes that is true! In fact this song was to be titled, "Vampires in Love." There goes my childhood...

12. Pumped up Kicks - Foster the People

I always thought that 'Pumped Up Kicks' is a happy and groovy song with no meaning. But wow I was wrong. This song is actually about a school shooting. Lyricist Mark Foster explained that the song came about after he read some shocking statistics regarding the growing trend in teenage mental illness. He wanted to get inside the head of a "isolated, psychotic kid" and raise awareness about the issue of gun violence amongst young people. Now I have started seeing the song differently.

13. Like a Virgin - Madonna

Many people thought that "Like a Virgin" is about a girl wanting to lose her virginity. Even I thought the same. But you know what, that is not what the song is actually about. This song isn't about a girl at all. It's about the lyricist Billy Steinberg's personal experience of going through the emotional ringer in the past. It's about how he felt now and unhurt the next time he fell in love, as if he had never been hurt before, 'Like a Virgin.' He also admitted that he didn't want a girl to sing this song. Wow this is deep!

14. Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5

I was very crazy about this song. I thought this was a flirtatious romance song. But then I found out that it isn't. This song is a rant by Adam Levine about his record label. The band was frustrated because their company asked for more songs, on their debut album, 'Songs about Jane,' so they wrote this to fill up the quota. I must say this is creative.

15. Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day

Due to the video, many people thought that this song is about a war. But that's not true. This song was written in memory of Billy Joe Armstrong's late father, who died when he was a child. Oh!

16. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - The Beatles

Due to the song being commonly referred to as LSD, many people think that this song is about LSD. But that is not the case. John Lennon admitted that this song is about a painting that his son Julian made in his art class, featuring his friend Lucy.

17. Choli Ke Peeche - Khalnayak

People used to ga-ga over this song, just to watch Madhuri Dixit, without even understanding what this song means. This song is about woman's sensuality. Hmm..

18. I am a Hunter - Gangs of Wasseypur

This is a recent song that came out 3 years ago. A song full of double meanings. This song is not about hunting at all. If you look closely at the lyrics, this song is about having sex. Cleverly done I must say.

19. Teri Le Loon - Tere Mere Beech Mein

The best double meaning song I have ever listened to. Now I get what "Baahen Baahon Mein" (arms in arms) actually means..

20. American Pie - Don McLean

This is an interesting one. There have been a lot of conspiracy theories about what this song was about. But Don McLean at an interview recently said that this is a morality song that charts the decline of the USA and its loss of innocence. Wow!

Aren't you surprised by the real meanings of this songs? So am I! Makes me realise that lyrics are after all important! Made me become a better analyser!