20 Little Ways To Battle Depression

20 Little Ways To Battle Depression

Sometimes therapy and medication still aren't enough.

49
20 Little Ways To Battle Depression
kylokitten.tumblr.com

Life has it's ups and downs. While some of you may get to know depression only in passing, others may encounter it several times over...or possibly never leave it's side. No matter the type of depression you are suffering from, the degree to which it is affecting you, or the reasons for its visit, it often feels as if there is absolutely nothing you can do to ever feel better. One of the most heartbreaking things that happens during these times is when a family member asks "what can I do to help you?", and you honestly can't think of one thing that anyone can do for you.

If depression is affecting you to a severe degree, there is one obvious thing you can do: get professional medical help.

But what do you do in the meantime? Medication and therapy help immensely, but it can feel like ages before you notice a difference (and sometimes you need "supplemental" help, something beyond those means). So, I'm getting help...what else can I do?

Here's a short collection I've made of the things I do when life feels as if it's gone to pot. They may not immediately make you feel happier, but the key to these particular practices is to relieve unnecessary stress, and occupy yourself with the positive things in life.

1. Spend quality time with the cat (or dog).

It may not be what anyone wants to hear, but your fluffy friends are probably the only living beings who won't ever let you down.

2. Take a walk.

There is almost nothing as helpful in regrouping as being in nature. Take a walk, or go sit outside for a bit. Focus on the plants and life around you. Find your centre.

3. Create.

Paint, draw, photograph, sculpt, write, edit. Anything that keeps you focused on creation rather than destruction. Do something that allows you to rediscover the beauty in life.

4. Come back to your "Brilliant Things" list.

If you can't think of anything new to add to the list, simply keep it near and look it over every now and then. (And if you don't have a brilliant things list, start one!)

5. Watch a favorite film or television show.

Just let yourself be immersed in and amazed by it, whether it's one that's pretty new to you, or one that you know ever single line of.

6. Listen to calming music.

Whatever music you find makes you feel better, lighter, listen to it. Make a playlist. Make it routine to listen when you wake up, and before bed. Take a moment to listen when your thoughts start to race.

7. Yoga.

Yes, yoga. It can be very good for clearing your mind, but the physical aspect is great for relieving stress, too. When you are depressed your body aches. Your back, your neck, your arms and legs. I literally thank God every day for having impressed me to take yoga this term. It's just an hour, twice a week, but I honestly don't know how I would be surviving right now without that little slice of time to focus on my body and spirit.

8. Do something that reminds you of childhood.

You would be surprised how relaxing it can be to play a board game that you remember from when you were 5 years old, or binge-watch some Spongebob while doing your homework.

9. Spend time with your siblings (or besties).

*In this photo is the little sister and I.

Even if you don't feel like going out, spending time with those that are closest to you will truly help heal your heart, mind, and soul. Even though my bestie is physically out-of-reach for me, texts and calls make a world of difference.

10. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Seriously, if it won't matter a year from now, don't have a heart-attack over it. You don't have to let everything go, but don't hit an emotional breakdown because you're 5 minutes late to class. You've had enough to deal with already, let yourself off the hook every now and then.

11. Clean. Organize. Rearrange.

One of the first steps toward de-cluttering your mind is to de-clutter your room. Prettying things up and rearranging everything can also do great things for your mindset by giving you a positive example of change.

12. Dress up! (or down)

Do your makeup, your hair, dress up, or don't. Do what makes you feel good. Some days I feel better if I'm just comfortable, others I feel best when I'm dressed to the nines.

13. Take more breaks.

Depression can seriously shorten the attention span. Do not pressure yourself to finish everything all at once or you will burn out.

14. Enjoy your favorite comfort foods...
15. ...and drink plenty of water.

Yes to ice cream, chocolate, fruits and veggies, whatever your comforting choice might be. But make sure you drink plenty of water whether you're indulging or not. (Especially if you're the type to cry a lot - you'll want to stay hydrated)

16. Make time to get some rest...
17. ...but don't let yourself sleep too long.

Rest is good. Sleep is good. But sleeping too much can cause fatigue rather than remedy it. If you have a hard time getting out of bed, plan to do something like watching a fun television show when you wake up (or whatever will help you look more forward to the morning).

18. Make to-do lists.

Depression can also cause really really inconvenient bouts of forgetfulness. Making to do lists and keeping them nearby will help you to make sure you don't forget any important school assignments, doctors appointments, or even a trip to return your DVD rentals.

19. Plan a trip with friends and family.

Make fun plans for the future, something you can look forward to. I just made plans to run a Disney 5k with my dad in 2018, and it is insane how much that decision has contributed to keeping me functioning throughout the past month. I don't even like running. But it's something new to try, and it's time with family. Make plans, even if it's not traveling.

20. Bible study.

If you believe in God, or something bigger than yourself, a little quiet time with the Word is one of the best ways to restore inner peace and find your way back to hope. If you don't believe, and aren't interested in exploring the Word of God, the Book of Proverbs holds a great amount of wisdom that can be applied to the everyday lives of believers and non-believers alike.

I hope that at least one of these things will bring even the tiniest bit of light back into your days. Whether you are battling off depression tooth-and-nail, a little down in the dumps today, or seemingly knee-deep in darkness, know that you are not alone, and you will see bright days again.