20 Life Lessons for 20 Years of Living

20 Life Lessons for 20 Years of Living

Another birthday, another life lesson

171
20 Life Lessons for 20 Years of Living
Pxhere

This past Friday was my twentieth birthday. Honestly, the ending of my time as a teenager was not meant with any sort of overwhelming physical change or mental epiphany, but as I begin the next decade of my life, I couldn't help but focus on everything I've learned over the past two. I've had triumphs and failures with hills to climb in between. I am no angel, but I certainly do believe that I've learned a few strong lessons throughout the years I've spent alive.

1. Live Optimistically

It's too easy to get caught up in the stress of daily living and collapse under the pressure. While it may be difficult to uphold, an optimistic mindset is crucial in ensuring your personal happiness and wellbeing. If you think optimistically, the world suddenly seems brighter.

2. Stay Kind

Make it your priority to treat everyone around you with kindness. This does not have to mean heroic and bold actions. Maintaining a positive attitude and staying kind to your peers is not only important to them, but also helpful to you.

3. Take "You Time"

It appears as though our schedules are so packed lately that there is no time to even spend taking a longer shower than usual. It is necessary, though, to take a little bit of time for yourself to just cool off from the stress of daily life.

4. Don't Worry About FOMO

If you're tired, don't go out. If you don't feel well, don't push yourself. If you have work to do or even just want to take a "you night", then don't work yourself up over the fun your friends may be having. FOMO, or the fear of missing out, can be frustrating and hurtful. There will always be another chance to go out, don't worry.

5. Take Risks

I mean this in the most generic way possible. Want to bungee jump? Go for it! Scared of heights but also scared of applying for that prestigious internship? Try it! You never know what opportunities will come your way once you take that risk.

6. Find a Hobby or Two

The title may read "hobby", but passion also applies here. For me, I dedicate my time to writing and knitting. While writing is my passion, knitting is most certainly my favorite hobby. Either way, it's great to immerse yourself in something that you genuinely enjoy.

7. Dress Comfortably

While physical comfort is utterly important, the term "comfortable" here is used to encourage you to dress however you like. You feel most confident in a dress and heels? Wear them! Rather sweatpants? Perfect! Don't let anyone else tell you how to dress.

8. Trust Your Gut

This is something that I still struggle with. I always feel as though my judgment may be inferior, but it's best to realize that your gut is usually right! Don't doubt your judgment because you are a lot smarter than you'll ever realize.

9. Impress Yourself

Don't strive to impress anyone but yourself. Your goals in life should be personal and should not have any beneficial motivation for anyone but yourself. Your life is your own and should be everything that you want it to be.

10. Be Proud

Humility is a lovely trait, but don't let that be your defining trait. If you have an accomplishment, don't smother it. Instead, appreciate and celebrate. You work hard for the good things in your life, you should cherish them!

11. Speak Your Emotions

I am all too familiar with the decision to swallow my feelings and simply move forward. This, though, isn't a healthy way to cope. I've learned the hard way that the only way to truly move on from an issue is to speak about it.

12. Put in All of Your Effort

Although it may be exhausting, you'll see the most results from putting all of your effort toward whatever task you are working toward. The euphoria of finishing a project that you have truly dedicated yourself to is unlike any other.

13. Don't Be Afraid

There are going to be opportunities or experiences that terrify you. Your comfort zone is your safest and most assuring place, but it's best to branch out occasionally. You don't have to go wild, but definitely try some things that may have previously scared you.

14. Sever Toxic Ties

This is probably the hardest thing on this list to follow because despite the fact that these people are not positive influences on your life, you still care for them. You just have to realize that the negatives are usually much more severe than the memories.

15. Always do Good

Going hand in hand with the "stay kind" advice, do your best to help those around you. Whether it's through support, physical aid or service, making a positive impact on the world around you is beneficial to you as well.

16. Splurge Occassionally

While it is intelligent to stay budgeted, don't be afraid to treat yourself to a new shirt, or a coffee, or even some time in the bath. You work hard, so you might as well reward yourself for it!

17. Challenge Yourself

Life is boring when things are too easy. In order to keep yourself stimulated, take on new tasks that may not be easy to you at first. Try an activity that may seem fun, yet unfamiliar.

18. Stay in Touch

People are incredibly busy and while you are certainly one of those people, it doesn't mean that relationships should disintegrate or even be lost due to a lack of communication. So, take a few minutes to send a text to an old friend.

19. Always Use Manners

A simple "please" and "thank you" really can take you a long way. Using manners is a great way to show the people around you that you respect them and whatever effort they are making for you.

20. Cherish those that Matter Most

It can be too easy to lose track of those in your life that are important to you. You're always going to be caught up in new ventures that may not directly involve these people, but always remember to check up on them and really cherish your relationships.

Thankfully, I've learned a lot over the past twenty years of stumbling through life's twists and turns. There have been pitfalls and triumphs and they have all taught me the valuable lessons that I am doing my best to live by today. I, like the rest of the population, am not perfect, so of course I struggle to follow my own advice sometimes, but I am still doing my best.