20 Artists You Have To See At ACL This Fall

Austin City Limits is all about finding new music: Here are my top picks you should check out.

95

Austin City Limits: that time of year that everyone from Texas and the surrounding states flock to the unique city of Austin. With ACL only a couple of days away, I encourage you to get outside your mainstream band appeal and explore some new artists while you can. There's no doubt that artists like Florence, Disclosure, Hozier, Alabama Shakes, and Alt-J are going to be incredible, but this article is meant to focus on the bands that might not be on your radar, or maybe just some you haven't looked into as much yet.

Here are my picks:

1. Gary Clark Jr.

One of the biggest names in the blues-rock scene today, this Austin native is a must see this fall for any classic rock or blues fans. Shadowing hints of great guitarists such as Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn, Gary Clark gives his stage presence a soul with his catchy blues riffs and raspy voice. Check out his Gary Clark Jr. Live album to get a feel for how upbeat his shows can be.

2. Ben Howard

This folk-singer/songwriter faces the hardest aspects of life and confronts them through his mesmerizing guitar playing and poetic lyrics. Howard has a voice that is naturally carried through a venue and reaches deep into the memories and emotions of those captured by his music. With his structured and complex guitar compositions and emotion capturing lyrics, Howard will win over any crowd by presenting that he has a true passion for the music he produces and passing it along to the listener.

3. Father John Misty

Front man and drummer of the well known Fleet Foxes, Josh Tillman, creates an ambient and involving stage presence that can be compared to the deep roots of early 70s rock. A man with his lyrics, acoustic guitar, and soul, Father John Misty puts a creative twist on modern indie-folk music. With such a large range between songs from the ambient and orchestral-style indie folk of "Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)" and "Nancy From Now On" to capturing the electronic pop of "True Affection," Father John Misty will be a soulfully captivating experience for the any crowd at ACL.

4. George Ezra

Well known from his hit, "Budapest," George Ezra's will be a show to witness with his smooth melodic guitar and powerful and space-filling voice. On stage at ACL, Ezra will use his voice to capture those in the audience and persuade them with ease to belt out the catchy pop-blues choruses along with him. The smooth, clean sound of his guitar will glide over the audience while his strong voice will carry the crowd through his songs. We have yet another artist that can captivate the use of different styles throughout each of his songs from the well known smooth guitar driven hit "Budapest," and the upbeat driven "Blame It on Me," Ezra will have the crowd swaying along and captivated after a single note belted out.

5. Lord Huron

One of my top picks for this year's lineup, with their recent release of the album Strange Trails, this ambient folk band will easily have the crowd flowing along with their melodic and naturally flowing tunes. From songs like "Fool for Love," starting as a slow orchestral melody into a quick paced and upbeat, to the steadied calm nature of "She Lit a Fire," Lord Huron will provide a show that will leave you wanting to sway in content to their gentle lyrics and smooth, uplifting acoustics.

6. Glass Animals

The true alternative psychedelia band uses heavy bass lines with synthesized guitar and keyboards to take you into a trip of truly feeling the music. Their enthusiasm on stage gathers the crowd up in a warm wave and truly submerges the crowd into their psychedelic daydream. Starting off with a gentle synth keyboard and the sharp and elegant vocals of Dave Bayley, followed by a capturing bass line, the band's biggest hit, "Gooey," captures their colors. Other songs such as "Pools" and "Black Mambo" truly exemplify the good vibe culture they are going for. (To truly see this band at full potential, strive to get close: the bass overruns everything else from too far away)

7. Shakey Graves

Another one of my top acts. A fusion of Americana, blues, and rock, Shakey Graves, or Alejandro Rose-Garcia, is an Austin native and one of the most exciting live acts around. His creative and unique style of guitar can be mirrored in his voice: smooth and calming when necessary and raspy, yet controlled when belting out his passionate lyrics. Watching Rose-Garcia on stage alone is truly incredible with his unique custom kick drum suitcase and impressive guitar tooling and captivating vocals all meshing perfectly together. But seeing him on stage with his band mates, Chris "Boo" Boosahda and Patrick O'Conner, shows how passionate the three are about the music they produce, but also shows how the best music comes from some dudes getting together to jam out and having a great time. Be sure and check out songs like "Dearly Departed," "The Perfect Pairs" and "If Not For You."

8. Houndmouth

Never have I seen a four member band where not only is every artist is able to play their respected instruments, but also sing with perfection when given the opportunity. Houndmouth has created a diverse recordings of songs through the use of each member singing in different styles. Their smooth alternative rock captivates the crowd with the energy they present on stage. (be sure to belt out "so bright and pink" during their popular song "Sedona": it's uplifting when everyone gets in on it)

9. Drew Holcomb and The Neighbors (Weekend One Only)

Drew Holcomb truly is one of the most passionate and enthusiastic folk artists around. His lyrics and melodic guitar will have you quickly hooked within the first few notes of their set. Holcomb has the ability to use his voice to truly capture a crowd and relate them back to his poetic lyrics. He will keep an upbeat and lively crowd going and is well worth getting over to see at any point in the day. With upbeat songs like "Here We Go" and "Good Light," Holcomb will come out full of energy and ready to connect to a full crowd. (check them out at Common Grounds in Waco with Penny and Sparrow Sunday of weekend one if you're missing out on them second weekend)

10. Sylvan Esso

Sylvan Esso is an electro-pop duo with only one album; but man oh man, do they know how to play it right. They are both lively and enjoy engaging the crowd to create a great environment. Typically these style acts are much less enjoyable as their recorded content, but Sylvan Esso kills it and gives an incredible performance and sounds even better live because of the enthusiasm they present. They have harmonious structured rhythm throughout all their songs in which Amelia Meath perfectly blends with her voice. Their popular tracks such as "Coffee" and "Could I Be" off their only album will keep the crowd jumping along, and I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced some new tunes.

11. Moon Taxi

Moon Taxi is a rock group brings more energy to the stage than anyone I've seen. It's reviving to see a great indie-rock band that still has passion and excitement whenever they take the stage. Lead singer and guitarist, Trevor Terndrup, reminds the crowd what rock music is all about: getting together with some close friends and jamming out. With upbeat and melodic songs like "Morocco" and recent release "All Day All Night," Moon Taxi is going to be coming into ACL full of energy and ready to get the whole crowd involved.

12. Cherub

With the classic "Doses and Mimosas," everyone knows this upbeat electro-indie group from Nashville, Tn. After releasing their most recent album, Year of the Caprese, expect them to be coming out full of energy and ready to get a crowd going crazy. Their concerts keep people moving throughout with no breaks with their energetic and lively personalities, taking over the show through their songs like "Do I (Where We Are)," "Sucker for Love" and "Jazzersize '95." They've been known to hop around festivals from act to act in their downtime, so keep an eye out for guest appearances in random places throughout the weekend.

13. Whiskey Myers (Weekend Two Only)

While ACL is known as a more indie and "artsy" scene, you can never beat some Texas county in the music capital of Texas itself. Whiskey Myers is one of Texas' best country-southern rock bands in the state and is well known by most Texas natives. Their heavy guitar kept by the acoustic rhythm will be captivating to all Texas country music fans. With the radio full of modern pop country artists, Whiskey Myers brings it back to what country is all about. Songs like "Ballad of a Southern Man" and "Dogwood" keep true to what we know as traditional southern rock and country songs.

14. Milo Greene

With the release of their recent album, Control, the indie rock band creates a soulful and grooving atmosphere at their shows. With hits like "1957" and "White Lies," their lively lyrics and groovy tunes will surge through the crowd. In concert they tend to move around and switch instruments with ease and really involve themselves with the crowd. Their catchy choruses and rhythmic, synthesized vibes will attract all styles of music lovers to their show.

15. Kaleo (Weekend Two Only)

Kaleo is a smooth, indie-folk band from Iceland that mimics an earthy and raw style similar to Bon Iver. They band's smooth melodies are intensified as the songs progress by the introduction of electric instruments and the power behind their voices. Their debut song, "All the Pretty Girls" exemplifies this perfectly. Kaleo will go hand in hand with other performers such as Vance Joy and Ben Howard among the ACL crowd. They will most likely be performing on a smaller stage; get there early, and enjoy.

16. Rayland Baxter (Weekend One Only)

Rayland Baxter is a blues-styled singer/songwriter artist from Nashville, TN. He has an incredible ability to pair his wide vocal range with his smooth, unique stylized guitar playing. "Bad Things," one of Baxter's top tunes and has a smooth and calming blues riff complemented by his soulful voice explaining the hardships in life. Other songs such as "Olivia" and "The Mnt Song" encompass the other side of Baxter's style, with intricate acoustic guitar and love-wrecked lyrics.

17. BØRNS

The Synthesized alt-electro style of "Electric Love" immediately catches the ear of anyone that hears a note of the upbeat love melody. Garret Borns, better known by his stage name, BØRNS, has a dynamic and high voice, shown strongly in "Past Lives," that can be stretched across many ranges and compliments the synth rock sound presented in his songs. In the love oriented songs "Electric Love" and "Seeing Stars," the upbeat melody will keep a crowd enthused and anxious for the next song. He possess a unique style of music unlike any other band and is worth seeing this year at ACL before he breaks it big.

18. The Decemberists

After a four year hiatus, the folk-rock band is back and on top of the folk world again. Lead singer, Colin Meloy, has a strong folk centered voice with a hint of a British styled accent that gives their tunes a distinct and old school folk character to their music. Their older tunes like "Don't Carry It All" and "Down By the Water" are going to be great for a festival crowd along with newer songs such as "The Wrong Year" and "Calvary Captain" off of their recently released album, What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World.

19. MisterWives

Well known from their hit "Reflections," Misterwives' feel good vibes and upbeat tunes will have everyone jumping and dancing around. The band's alt-pop styled music creates an energy that can't be ignored by anyone captured by it. They will create a pop-infused bliss on stage that will create a great grooving environment for everyone lucky enough to be at their show. Other songs to keep an eye out for off of their recent 2015 released album, Our Own House, include "Vegabound" and "Imagination Infatuation." Also keep an eye out if they play their cover of Vance Joy's "Riptide," it's killer.

20. Vance Joy

After creating a big name for himself with his chart topping single "Riptide," James Keogh, better known as Vance Joy, released his debut album: Dream Your Life Away. The indie folk singer from Australia focuses on making connections and letting his listeners know who he truly is through his songs. Songs "First Time," "Georgia" and "Winds of Change" capture Keogh's struggles and thrills of love. His high ranged, recognizable and unique voice will be a must see for any folk or songwriter fan.

Extras:

Be sure to check out Of Monsters and Men, their first album rocks and they have a new one on the way and should be on top of their game for ACL.

Alabama Shakes is coming hot off a new album and after seeing them at Bonnaroo, I'm bummed they're only weekend one because they should be a bucket list show for anyone that hasn't had the chance to witness the powerful soul-filled voice of Brittany Howard backed by the groovy rock guitar riffs. They are one of my top choices.

Chance the Rapper puts on one of the best shows around. His unique style and energetic personality create a great show. He's another artist that I wouldn't be surprised to make guest appearances with other acts throughout the weekend.

It's been a while since I've seen them, but two years ago at ACL, Walk the Moon killed it with their old album and I expect this year's performance to be one of the best with the release of their recent chart topping album.

Nate Ruess is a name not many people would recognize on its own, but he's the front man and lead singer to the alt-pop group Fun., so expect a great solo show from him as well.

Second Weekenders: see Florence + The Machine. She is the most lively and exciting show around, easily one of the most powerful female singers, and creates an environment that gets everyone involved.

Hozier is as incredible sounding, if not better, live compared to his recorded self titled album. His smooth rock guitar is impressive to watch as he belts out the love stuck lyrics of his songs. Hint: he'll most likely throw in a great cover of a modern pop song, which is pretty cool to hear.