20 Activities For The JMU Student Who Never Knows What To Do

As if you really need a list of reasons why we're the best school in the country.

3760
James Madison University

James Madison University is hands down the most beautiful university on the east coast, and arguably the most fun college campus in the country. While every student knows this and can attest to it, sometimes we all get stuck wondering what all there actually is to do here. So, here are some ideas.

1) Hold the door open for your fellow Dukes.

It doesn't matter if they're right behind you or a mile away; at JMU if they're in seeing distance then it's safe to assume that they're in door holding distance.

2) Go to a football game.

This is a FREE event for all Madison students. If FREE doesn't automatically grab your attention, let me just remind you that we were NATIONAL CHAMPIONS this year, no big deal.

3) Head over to the arboretum.

Located right behind E-hall, JMU has our very own arboretum fully equipped with a hiking trail, park benches, and the super cute bridge pictured above. After your delicious E-hall brunch next Saturday, head over and see all this beautiful spot has to offer.

4) Go to Gap View Ranch and Kennel.

Just thirty minutes from JMU's campus are the most adorable puppies that you can play with all day long. Please, go ahead and tell me who doesn't like puppies.

5) Watch a movie at Grafton Stovall.

JMU has it's very own theatre here on campus and they always play the most recent movies that are out. Did I mention you can see the same movie you'd see at AMC for $10 for only $3 at Grafton Stovall? As if I need to top that, fresh movie theatre popcorn is only $.50.

6) Hang out on the quad.

It's impossible to see the quad and not immediately fall in love with JMU. Whether you need to study, want to work on your tan, are eating lunch with friends, or just want to take a nap, the quad is always the right place to be.

7) Watch the skyline sunset.

The sunset on East Campus is so surreal to watch. Grab dinner with your friends at Festival and head outside just in time to see the beautiful sunset over the mountains.

8) Study.

As if this one isn't obvious, JMU has two extravagant libraries fully equipped with Starbucks that stay open until 2 a.m. If you don't want to study, at least go for the coffee.

9) Eat downtown at Jack Browns.

From donut burgers and great drinks to fried Oreos and the best homemade fry sauce, this local burger joint will never disappoint. If you aren't up for a burger, Billy Jack's is two doors down and their sticky nugs are a Harrisonburg favorite.

10) Go to UREC.

Even if you have built up a hatred towards gyms and are convinced there is nothing good for you to do there, UREC has something for everyone. UREC is fully equipped with an Olympic-size swimming pool, three floors of training equipment, and multiple recreational rooms where you can rent free equipment to play sports with your friends. After your workout, head downstairs to eat at Freshens; but be prepared, with good food comes long lines, but it's totally worth it.

11) Visit the caverns.

They offer student discounts and walking through the cavern is a thrilling experience. If you're looking for something off campus and indoors, this is definitely the place for you.

12) Get ice cream from Kline's.

I don't know if it's considered hard ice cream or soft serve, but what I do know is that it's the best ice cream in Harrisonburg. Stick with the classic chocolate or vanilla or be daring and try the flavor of the week.

13) Yell "J-M-U DUKKKKKKES" to tour groups as they walk by.

JMU is known for their school pride, so help prospective students learn to love Madison just as much as we do.

14) Talk to Herb at Chick-fil-A.

Anyone that eats at the Chicky on campus has met/seen/somehow interacted with Herb. If you haven't, you need to.

15) See a show at Forbes.

Student tickets are always cheap and JMU's music department is top notch.

16) Eat at E-hall.

JMU's food is ranked top 10 in the nation, so definitely check it out while you're here.

17) Head over to the Oasis.

Check out the Oasis on the third floor of SSC. It's a relaxation area for students and comes fully equipped with paint and canvases, as well as massage chairs. Did I mention it's free?

18) Go hiking.

You're in the middle of the mountains, so take advantage of the outdoors and spend the day with your friends hiking the hills of Harrisonburg!

19) Paint the crack rock on East Campus.

No-one knows quite how it got there, but here it is, the world's largest crack rock. No, we aren't all druggies. Student organizations use this rock to promote campus activities and awareness weeks.

20) Take your someone special to the kissing rock.

JMU must have a thing for rocks. Rumor has it that if you kiss someone on the rocks, you'll be together forever. Does that mean if I take my crush there that he'll marry me? Asking for a friend.

There are so many things to do on campus and off that you literally can never be bored at James Madison. See how many of these activities you can cross off your list this semester. Go Dukes!