19 Ways I Coped With COVID-19 As A 19-Year-Old

It all started on my first day of virtual classes. I found it odd I was cold on an especially hot summer day in South Texas, more so since I'm always complaining that I'm hot. Throughout the day, it turned into chills. The next day, my symptoms severed, and my parents ordered me to see the doctor. After informing the doctor of my symptoms, she nodded her head and said, "You have COVID-19."

My blood ran cold with panic, and so many questions swirled my head. I went home and started feeling the symptoms, mostly trying to sleep it off. In and out of consciousness, I attempted to google ways to cope with COVID-19. I came up empty every time. So, here are 19 ways to cope with COVID-19.

1. Breathe, you're going to be okay.

Being diagnosed with COVID-19 can be frightening, but stressing will only make it worse. Instead, find ways to reduce and relieve your stress.

2. Stay off social media!

Unsplash

Everyone is talking about COVID-19, even I was guilty of flooding my followers' timelines with it too. While you recover, remove yourself from social media, it can be upsetting to read different people's opinions on the virus.

3. Don't be ashamed.

Unsplash

This is a global pandemic, sometimes no matter how many precautions you take, this virus will still get through. Seek treatment, and do alert those you've come into contact with, you could be saving a life.

4. Get plenty of rest.

Your body is doing everything it can to fight off this virus, you need to help it out by giving yourself the proper rest, hydration, and nutrients it needs. You won't feel like this forever, give yourself time to rest.

5. Contact your doctor for persistent symptoms.

Photo by National Cancer Institute on Unsplash

I just suffered through my terrible headaches and persistent nausea without contacting my doctor. Luckily, she called to check on me, and I informed her I wasn't able to do much. She informed me there wasn't much to do for the headache, OTC meds didn't seem to be helping this COVID-19 headache. However, she did prescribe me medication for my nausea, so that I could eat and hydrate more, and decrease headaches.

6. Stay off of screens!

Photo by Jonah Pettrich on Unsplash

I'm glad you're able to read this, but reduce your screen time. The blue light from screens can worsen or give you a headache, rest your eyes.

7. Stay home and stay away from people.

Photo by Becca Schultz on Unsplash

Staying home can be hard, but you need to remember, COVID-19 is contagious and can be deadly to those at higher risk. You'll be able to get out soon, but for now, stay home, you're doing the right thing.

8. Switch off the news, switch on music.

Watching the news can certainly be upsetting, and the idea is to reduce your stress. Unplug while you recover, or simply catch a briefing of the news on Spotify or Alexa. Instead, listen to music, find new genres you enjoy.

9. Delve into audiobooks!

Photo by Distingué CiDDiQi on Unsplash

Now is a perfect time to try out audible! A thirty-day free trial is available for new members, and Prime members get two titles free with a premium subscription!

10. Take it easy.

Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

If you're like me, you're growing frustrated at the lack of energy you have. Relax, rest, you'll gain your stamina back slowly. Take it one moment at a time.

11. Don't be angry.

Contracting COVID-19 while taking all the proper precautions can be infuriating, but you're not alone. Unfortunately, there is much we do not know about this virus, and how it travels. Even if you take proper precautions, sometimes it still arrives, hence the global pandemic. Just know that you did everything you could, and now it's time to recover.

12. Do let your professors and work know you contracted the virus.

Photo by William Iven on Unsplash

Do your part to limit the spread, and take time so you can recover. There is no shame in telling your professors or managers you have it, they will appreciate it more if you do.

13. Don't feel the need to announce it to the world.

Photo by Christian Fregnan on Unsplash

Just because you're COVID-19 positive, doesn't mean you have the obligation to tell those you weren't in contact with. If it upsets you to tell those you did not come into contact with, then don't tell them. This is happening to you and your body and should stay between you and your doctor.

14. Seek help when needed.

Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

Do not be afraid to reach out for help. Contracting COVID-19 can be stressful, and sometimes you need someone to talk to. Call a friend, parent, or contact a mental health professional. We are here to listen and want you here.

15. Use apps like Favor and H-E-B Curbside to limit your contact while getting your necessities

Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

The point is to try to limit your contact to slow the spread. Use apps like Favor to get your groceries delivered to your doorstep, or H-E-B curbside (if you're able to drive) to get them in your vehicle.

16. Move around, even if it's for a short time.

I fell trap to trying to sleep all day and stay in my dark room. Luckily, my mom would come in and wake me up to eat and take my medicine every day, so I would get out of my room for a short while. Remember to move around, even if it's just a walk to the kitchen. Keep your body moving.

17. Write!

Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash

Writing out your feelings can help you deal with them, and can help you get through to the next day. You can write your progress as it goes along so that you can observe that progress!

18. Don't panic: there will be ups and downs.

Photo by Tonik on Unsplash

Some days you'll feel great, the next day you'll feel worse. Don't panic, this is normal. This is why it's important to rest, you need to allow your body rest to recuperate.

19. Remember, this virus does not define you.

Photo by Dan Meyers on Unsplash

You are not the only one to contract COVID-19, and unfortunately, you won't be the last. This virus does not make up who you are, or does not define the precautions you took. Your body is strong, you can get through this, and this will be something your body will help you through.

If you're struggling with COVID-19 or the effects of this pandemic, visit this website to find helpline numbers available for you.