The 19 Throwback Songs That Will Bring You Right Back To Middle School

As if you still don't know them by heart.

342
State In The Real

Ah, middle school. It was the era of Barbie doll bangs, AIM Instant Messaging, and Picnik-ed photos galore. But between the huge band bracelets and Uggs were the most iconic part of any middle school experience; the school dances. Because if you don't remember wearing your favorite Hollister tee and ripped jeans that your mom bought for you at the mall, teasing your hair into an ever-perfect Snooki poof, and slipping into one of your various colors of Chinese Laundry sandals, just to attend a dance where the boys stand on the left and the girls stand on the right, you probably didn't get the full mid-2000s middle school dance experience. So grab your Tomigatchis and Razr cell phones and get ready for 20 classic throwback songs that will take you back to painfully awkward, but truly nostalgic, days:

1. "Low" by Flo Rida

This was a dance staple. Flo Rida taught us that the best way to get all of the attention in the room was the perfect combination of Applebottom jeans and boots with the fur. Plus, it was basically implied that everybody was to get low when the music got lowlowlowlowlowlowlowlow.

2. "Everytime We Touch" by Cascada

For most kids, "Everytime We Touch" was the first taste of electronic music for our generation. With an addictive beat and catchy lyrics, Cascada's first hit single made her a favorite among this generation's tweens.

3. "Hot N Cold" by Katy Perry

Katy's first, um, age-appropriate song for middle schoolers. It was super catchy and the video was hilarious, even for today's standards.

4. "I Gotta Feeling" by The Black Eyed Peas"

The song that encompassed every middle school graduation/formal dance. The greatest thing about this song was the fact that the Black Eyed Peas made their incredible revival with it, being a band that tweens at the time essentially grew up listening to. Plus, the video looked like the ultimate party, so...

5. "Misery Business" by Paramore

If we had to narrow down the genre of "alternative" to one song in the mid-2000s, this would be it. This song became a tween classic simply because it was so different from anything else on the radio during those days. Also, Hayley Williams has a voice.

6. "Stickwitu" by The Pussycat Dolls

And the prize for the most-awkward slow dance song played by the DJ goes to...

7. "Barbie Girl" by Aqua

This song was so annoying that it almost wasn't. Even though "Barbie Girl" came out well into the 90's, This song was so infuriatingly catchy that you really couldn't help but enjoy it's stupidity. Go figure.

8. "Fergalicious" by Fergie

Everything about this song made you just want to sing along. Fergie's first attempt at breaking away from The Black Eyed Peas proved to be the legendary track it is today. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what made this song so popular. Maybe it was the super-intense rap skills you needed to lip-sync the hook. Or possibly, how insanely fun the video looked? Or maybe it was the incredible narcissism it takes to write a song called about yourself called "Fergalicious?" Yeah, that was probably it.

9. "Burnin' Up" by The Jonas Brothers

There are two types of girls in this world: ones who loved the Jonas Brothers and liars. Granted, this was just one of the many iconic songs that the JoBros made for teeny-boppers in the mid-2000s. Plus, it was no secret that everybody had a favorite brother (I was a Nick girl, for the record).

10. "Damaged" by Danity Kane

Even though Danity Kane's single "Damaged" was somewhat of a one-hit-wonder, they still gave kids a Spice Girls-level vibe. Because the truth is, our generation needed a girl group. Enter: Danity Kane.

11. "Untouched" by The Veronicas

The Veronicas, an Aussie twin-sister pop duo, rose up on the American charts with "Untouched", a song that brought something different to the table. This song combined a strong upbeat with depressingly sad lyrics and somehow it magically sounded perfect. Genius.

12. "Crank Dat (Soulja Boy)" by Soulja Boy

Long before the Whp, the Nae Nae, dabbing, or even the Dougie, there was the Soulja Boy. And those of us who are old enough to remember this era of dancing will agree that its steps are forever burned into our brains.

13. "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift

Back when Taylor was more country than pop, she seemed to have struck gold with her single, "You Belong With Me". Taylor's song appealed to every shy girl and band geek alike, still standing as one of her biggest hits to date.

14. "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha

Before Ke$ha was the big name she is today, her breakout single, "Tik Tok," put her on the map as the new party girl-next-door. Even with lyrics as superficial as "Tick tock on the clock but the party won't stop," Ke$ha's hit gave her street cred as the princess of party pop.

15. "Stronger" by Kanye West

Amazingly, Kanye West was still, well, Kanye West, even before the turn of the decade. "Stronger" combined rap, pop, and electronic beats to form one extremely Kanye song. In fact, this song is a pretty good definition for the word "Kanye" if you've ever tried to use it as an adjective. Carry on.

16. "Beautiful Soul" by Jesse McCartney

Jesse McCartney was every mid-2000s middle school girl's first crush. He just seemed so sensitive.

17. "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga

Before her superstar days, Lady Gaga's first single, "Just Dance," gave you all the party feels. Even with the heavy auto-tune and EDM beats behind her lyrics, it was clear that Gaga had raw, untapped potential, shaping up to be the undeniable Queen she is today.

18. "Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus

Remember when the most scandalous thing Miley Cyrus did was dance on an ice cream stand pole to this song? My, how far she's come. Yes, brunette Miley was fresh off of Hannah Montana when her legendary and patriotic song came on the radio, becoming one of her most iconic songs to date.

19. "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield

This song proved to be the most inspiring song of our middle school years. It was essentially in every movie, played on every radio station, and was really just inescapable. But hey, we're not complaining.