19 Things That Are All Too Real When You're From Minnesota

No, I do not have an accent.

698
Flickr

Growing up in the Twin Cities is great, trust me. The suburbs are close enough to the cities that you have plenty of things to do. Even though the sports teams aren’t always the best (cough, Vikings, cough), the people are still die-hard fans. When you grow up in Minnesota, these things become all too real for you and are just a part of your daily life.

1. Road construction is its own season.

Expect a 15-minute delay minimum in the summer because of road construction.

2. The Mall of America is just another mall.

Typically, you'll avoid this place like the plague when you know tourists are in town.

SEE ALSO:8 Things Minnesotans Who Go To School In Wisconsin Struggle With

3. The High School State Hockey Tournament brings in just as many people as a Wild game does.

We are the State of Hockey, it only makes sense that high school sports are just as big when you come from a place like that.

4. Winter just means bad drivers.

I know that the snow is falling but that doesn't mean that you have to drive 30 in a 50.

5. Winter also means potential snow days even though you know that’ll never happen.

Oh, 15 inches of snow overnight? Darn, you still better be ready to leave for school in the morning.

6. Duck, Duck, Grey Duck was your favorite game as a kid.

Some people play duck, duck, goose, but here we play duck, duck, grey duck. Yes, we do know that there is no such thing as a grey duck.

7. Every summer you spend your days at the lake.

Sun-kissed skin, days on the boat with radio blasting, and spending way too much money on booze.

8. People go up north to their cabin, not their lake house.

I mean, yeah, there are people who live on lakes, but a cabin is something that people don't live in year round in this case.

9. It’s hot dish, not casserole.

Enough said.

10. It’s pop, not soda. Come on people.

And yes, I will ask for a pop. I will not ask for a soda, or a soft drink, or a coke. I will only ask for a coke when I want a coke.

SEE ALSO:20 Signs You Grew Up In South Saint Paul, Minnesota

11. Your shoes will be ruined from the salt in the winter.

Uggs are somewhat fashionable here but in all honesty, you'll ruin them with the salt. Get yourself a good pair of winter boots please.

12. By far, the best state fair ever.

you can basically get anything on a stick. and Sweet Martha's cookies are a must.

13. Leaving the Midwest and being upset when there isn’t a Caribou.

Don't get me wrong, I like Starbucks, but Minnesotan's have this weird thing with Caribou.

14. Saying goodbye takes forever.

"Mom you said we were leaving 30 minutes ago." mom is still saying goodbye to grandma. and yes, this is probably because of the whole Minnesota nice thing.

15. You’ll get excited about hearing Minnesota mentioned on a TV show. As if it's this foreign place that no one knows about.

No, we are not a part of Canada. Thanks for asking.

16. It’s not always about fashion. It’s usually about staying cool in the summer or staying warm in the winter.

Walking to class wearing four layers because it's so damn cold out, to have to take off at least two of them when you get inside because it's scorching hot.

17. Chances are, you’ll probably see someone you know when you go shopping.

I will run into at least three people in Target. I kid you not. This will make your shopping trip 10 times longer because of #14 and #19. Small talk is everything.

18. People from other places think you talk funny.

No, I do not have an accent. You do.

19. And yes, Minnesota nice is a thing.

I mean, we are passive aggressive people but we are still nice.