18 Lessons I've Learned In My 18 Years On Earth

I could not be more thankful to have learned these lessons along the way - no matter how hard it may have been.

19

My 18th birthday has now come and gone and when reflecting on my life thus far, I realized I’ve learned a lot of very valuable lessons. Now, who would I be not to share these lessons? All of these things have shaped me into the person I am today, and I could not be more thankful to have learned these lessons along the way - no matter how hard it may have been.

1. People change, and that’s OK.

You aren’t the same person you were a year ago or many even several years ago, so you can’t expect others to stay the same. Whether it’s good or bad, change is inevitable - embrace it.

2. Be nice to everyone just because.

It really isn’t that hard to smile at someone or say hello when you walk by them. You never know how much that might mean to someone. Trust me on this one.

3. It’s OK to be a child at heart and have fun.

Dress up one day just because you want to or scream and sing at the top of your lungs!

4. Make time for your family.

Your family has been there longer than anyone else has, so make just as much time for them as you do for your friends. Time with your family should always be cherished.

5. It’s OK to be unhappy.

If you’re sad, it’s not something you need to hide. You don’t always have to put on a brave face. If you’re struggling it’s OK to show it. Struggles are a part of life, and they are bound to happen at some point.

6. Not everyone is going to like you.

I’m the type of person who wants to be liked by everyone. I strive to make sure I’m a kind and genuine person, but even if you’re that and more, some people might not like you. You probably don’t like everyone you meet, so how can you expect everyone to like you?

7. It isn’t selfish to put yourself first sometimes.

The only person you’ll be stuck with forever is you, so you should make sure you love the person you are and the person you are becoming.

8. Thank your parents for all they do for you.

They’ve taken care of you for so long and put you above all else. They deserve a million thank yous for everything they do, have done and will do.

9. You shouldn’t be afraid to go after your dreams, but never forget where you came from or who helped you get to where you are.

Appreciate everyone and everything from your background because you wouldn’t be you without it.

10. What people think of you doesn’t matter.

Really, what matters is what you think of yourself. If people don’t like you, they don’t have to. You shouldn’t let their opinions override what you think of yourself.

11. Everything truly does happen for a reason.

It might be good, and it might be bad. But, it taught you something, and you should take that lesson and run with it.

12. Don’t be too proud to admit when you’re wrong.

Apologize if you need to, admit you are in the wrong and move on. It really is that simple.

13. Never dwell on the thing that went wrong.

Constantly thinking about it and reminding yourself of it will never allow you to move forward because you’ll always be stuck on something from the past.

14. Trust your gut.

When it tells you something, you should listen. Deep down you really do know what’s best for you, so why should you go against it?

15. Be willing to take chances.

If another door opens before it closes you should take the chance. It opened for a reason and you have the right to know why. You might not get the same chance twice.

16. Only speak the words you believe to be true.

Don’t back someone in fear of argument or judgment. Stick to your guns and be yourself, always.

17. Work hard at everything you do.

It really isn’t cool to skip out on homework or only work half as hard as you really can on an assignment. With all that you do give it 110 percent. If you try your best, you will succeed.

18. Take time for yourself.

If you need a break, take the break. Your mental health and well-being is the most important thing. You will never be truly happy if you don’t focus on yourself.