19 Reasons That The University Of Wisconsin-Madison Is The Best Place In The World

If you think your school is better, you're wrong.

25679
UW Madison Campus Photo Library

Most people claim that the university that they attended is "the best." I'm sorry to say that if you've ever said this, you're wrong...unless you go to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. As a student from New York, I cannot even begin to count the number of times I have been asked, “Why did you choose to come to Wisconsin?” Every time, my answer is the same: because it is the most special place in the world, and I'm in love with it. Here are just a few of the infinite reasons that UW-Madison is the best.

1. The city of Madison is more than people think it is.

Madison is not the middle of nowhere. When I tell people who have never been to Madison that I go to UW, they automatically seem to assume that I go to school on a dairy farm, but this couldn’t be farther from the truth. Madison is a real city with amazing restaurants, shops, museums, theater, and night life.

2. Going to class is actually enjoyable.

One of the best parts of going here is that most of the professors are super passionate about what they teach, so going to class ceases to be a chore and becomes interesting. After all, the main reason we’re here is to learn, so going to class may as well be a positive experience.

3. The lakes are the place to be in the warm weather.

You can swim, boat, hang out on the dock, or whatever you're feeling. However you choose to utilize Mendota and Monona, there is no denying that they are a spectacular feature that is super unique to Wisconsin's campus.

4. Football Saturdays are the greatest thing in the entire world.

Although there are an absurd number of schools that participate in college football, there’s nothing quite like walking around State Street, seeing every single person in Badger Red, tailgating on Langdon or at a house on Lake Mendota, and feeling the undeniable love and pride for our school that engulfs the entire city. Saturday afternoons are easily the best nights of the week during #gamedaySZN.

5. The Food Carts on Library Mall are amazing.

This is something so unique. For under $8 (usually), you can get an entire meal from carts that sell everything from paninis to Korean tacos to hibachi to Jamaican food. Definitely something that must be taken advantage of before and after winter.

6. The Capitol and capitol square are always filled with things to do.

It’s definitely underrated that Madison is the capital of Wisconsin. This gives students access to so many things such as the ability to be close to legislature, the chance to go hang out in the most beautiful building in the city, and the option to go to multitude of delicious surrounding nice restaurants that your parents can take you to when they visit.

7. The frozen lakes in the winter are so cool.

Campus turning into a frozen tundra wasteland during the months of December to March doesn’t stop UW students from having fun. People use the lake to have frozen picnics, play kickball, or even have hockey tournaments, which is totally unique and awesome.

8. Every person on the campus gets really into basketball season.

Although I haven’t experienced a Final Four here in Madison, everybody is obsessed with the team. Being friends with Nigel Hayes, Bronson or anyone on the team is just about the coolest thing on the planet. Also it is #GregGardSZN, and anybody who denies how amazing our team is going to be next year is insane.

9. Babcock Ice Cream is undeniably the best ice cream out there.

If you go to Wisconsin and haven’t had the ice cream that is homemade at UW-Madison, we can’t be friends (unless you’re lactose intolerant, and in that case I am so sorry). This is the creamiest, most flavorful, and delicious ice cream ever.

10. The Farmer’s Market at the capitol is diverse and lively.

You can get everything from fresh produce to homemade whoopie pies to hand made tie-dye shirts. Definitely a must for off weekends from game day.

11. The people are some of the most genuine you'll ever meet.

Other schools, I’mma let you finish, but the University of Wisconsin-Madison has the best students of all time. Madison is home to the least pretentious, most helpful, fun and well-rounded people. We are the definition of work hard, play hard.

12. Tsui’s Spring Rolls are magical.

If you haven’t ever been to the Fresh Cool Juices cart on library mall and waited 45 minutes on a nice day just for a spring roll and maybe a smoothie, you’re out of your mind. This is hands down the best food on campus and the thing I crave most when it’s gone during the winter months. It’s healthy, cheap, and just utter perfection.

13. Doing the Jump Around at every football game is the most exciting part of each week.

Consistently rated the number one college tradition, the Jump Around is the main reason why students go to football games instead of just tailgating and then taking a really long nap. It’s so much fun to experience this literally ground shaking three minutes every week at Camp Randall.

14. The view from the top of Bascom Hill is breathtaking.

The trek up might suck and make your legs burn with the fire of a thousand suns, but how could you be upset when your school is just that pretty?

15. Cheese curds are a staple of your diet.

Though many people feel as if curds are just glorified mozzarella sticks, I feel differently. Cheese curds are a lifestyle in my opinion. After all, nothing screams Sconnie more than sitting out on State Street enjoying a basket of cheese curds with a side of chipotle mayo.

16. FAC.

Friday After Class, one of the many reasons Badgers are the definition of a work hard, play hard mentality. Every Friday after classes are over, you’ll find students flooding the basement of the Kollege Klub to destress and hang out after a busy week. Friday afternoon is easily the highlight of many student's weekends. Not to mention, the grilled cheese at the KK is unbelievably good and hits the spot every time.

17. Campus is stunning when it’s snowy.

Say what you will about the arctic wind temperatures that plague this campus, but it’s totally worth it to see everything gleaming white.

18. Pizza

Ian's is the classic Madison late-night pizza place. Famous for their Mac N Cheese pizza (a carb lover’s dream and possibly my favorite food). PDR is the other pizza place on campus, which is a favorite for east-coasters as it is the most similar to New York slices. Spinach feta is a must try slice.

19. If I could make the Terrace my permanent residence, I 100 percent would.

This is easily my favorite place in the world, and one of the reasons I chose to come to Madison. There is nothing quite like sitting on one of the colorful chairs, looking out onto Lake Mendota and enjoying a scoop (or three) of Babcock Creamery ice cream. Even though it’s closed for renovations at the moment, we all know I’ll be dreaming about it every day until I can be the first one there when it reopens in May.