17 Realistic New Year's Resolutions For 2017

Forget the basic resolutions.

9

As probably the most dreadful year finally comes to a close, we welcome a new year with open arms. 2016 seems to be the year that no one wants to relive (me included). Although, this does not mean we can shy away from resolutions we made in 365 days ago. Now we all know that we are never going to maintain the basic resolutions (such as losing weight or saving money), however, we can make realistic goals this year that will promote a healthier and happier well-being for ourselves. I have provided you with some realistic goals for 2017.

1. Strive to learn something new every day

Take the time to read some of the news articles that pop up on your Facebook feed or be actively listening in your college lecture class. Knowledge is power and being able to learn something new and fascinating will greatly benefit you. 365 days a year means 365 new things learned.

2. Spend an hour doing something you love

We are constantly busy every single day and being able to indulge in something you love is really important, even if it's just for an hour.

3. Try to be more positive

Especially after 2016, our negative attitude can resonate with us. Being more positive in 2017 can provide a healthier outlook on life. Don't dwell on the past. Consider becoming a more "glass half full" person instead of "glass half empty" person as this new year begins.

4. Strengthen relationships

Whether it is a relationship with your sisters, your mom, or your significant other, try to spend the time strengthening it. Reach out if you haven't spoken in a while or spend a day a week doing something fun together.

5. Be more open minded

The people in this world are getting more and more close minded as time goes on. They don't want to alter the way they think, and it might be time to change that.

6. Get out more (or at least briefly consider it)

I know we all love lying in our cozy bed, binge watching our favorite show on Netflix. Although, being able to get out and see the world can be very eye opening. Try to travel, plan more road trips, and see places that you have never seen before (even if it is in your own town).

7. Listen more

I have noticed myself zoning out and doing my own thing instead of listening to others. Try to be more present during conversations, in class, at work, etc.

8. One act of kindness a day

365 acts of kindness mean that you helped 365 (or more) people this year. That makes all the difference in the world. If everyone did an act of kindness a day, think about how much of a better place this world would be?

9. Self-care everyday

We all know how we need to self-care but no one ever takes part in it. This year, it is your time! Learn how to say no, stay in bed once in a while, drink water, get away from the drama, take time for yourself, etc.

10. Venture out of your comfort zone

Get out of your comfort zone! That means going somewhere new, trying a new food, or doing something that scares you.

11. Set a routine

Setting routines will help your body's biological clock. It can help you feel healthier and more rejuvenated. Setting a routine means going to bed/waking up/eating at the same times (roughly), doing homework after class, catching up on work after you eat, reading before bed, etc. Your routine can be altered to your wants and needs.

12. Apologize more

Apologizing does not show you are weak, but quite the contrary. It shows that you are strong enough to say you are sorry for messing up.

13. Meet someone new every day

Say hi to someone and try to reach out to someone you don't know. You never know who you could meet.

14. Read every day

No one ever reads anymore. Before the internet and social media, people read in their free time. Books can provide many benefits. You just have to be open to it.

15. Volunteer once a month

Volunteering at a homeless shelter, nursing home, children's day care, or summer camps can make others feel good. You are doing something god for your community and ultimately can help you feel better about yourself.

16. Spend less time on social media

We are so caught up on who posted pictures or who updated their statuses on social media. We spend so much time invested in social media, but for what? Where does that get us in life? If we spent half that time we spend on social media, reading, cooking, hiking, doing anything else, we can invest in something that is worth it.

17. Make your 2017 better than 2016.

No explanation needed.