17 Must-Watch Netflix Originals Coming In 2017

Pop the corn, and be privy to upcoming Netflix Originals!

70
Rolling Stone

With thousands of shows and movies available commercial-free at the click of a button, Netflix has undoubtably revolutionized the way we view television. Following hits such as Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and Stranger Things, it is no surprise to find that Netflix has increased its amount of original series and films. Here are 17 Netflix Originals* coming soon in 2017!

*This list only includes new series and films, not new seasons of existing shows.

1. Dear White People

A spin-off series based off of Justin Simien's debut feature film by the same name, Dear White People promises to be a sharp, social satire with no shortage of witty comedy. This series follows the lives of four black students, mainly at Ive League Colleges. Many believe the movie tried to accomplish too much in a short amount of time, so one can only imagine the success it will see as a multi-episode series.

2. Casting JonBenét

JonBenét Ramsey became a household name in 1996 when the 6-year-old beauty queen was discovered brutally murdered in the basement of her family home in Colorado the day after Christmas. This case has been opened and closed for decades, having more twists and turns than a fun house, and has become the world's most sensational child murder case and most famous cold case. Promising to be a work of art, this documentary explains this spectacular case and collects the memories of those who knew the Ramsey family.

3. 13 Reasons Why

A live-action adaptation of the novel by Jay Asher, 13 Reasons Why follows Clay Jenson, a high school student who has just received a box containing 13 cassette tapes. When he plays the tape labeled "1" he hears an unsettlingly familiar voice...that of a girl from his school named Hannah Baker who has recently committed suicide. She explains that each tape tells one reason why she did it, and if you receive the tapes, that means you are one of the reasons.

4. Dark

The first Netflix Original to be produced in Germany, Dark is a supernatural drama rife with artistic cinematography that follows the enigmatic disappearances of two children and the relationship between four families.

5. Girlboss

An adaptation of the novel #Girlboss, written by Nasty Gal founder Sophia Amoruso, Girlboss follows fictionalized Sophia as she expands her vintage eBay fashion line into a multimillion-dollar enterprise.

6. Marvel's Iron Fist

Marvel fanatics can rest easy knowing that Netflix is bringing in a brand new series just for them! Starring Finn Jones, Marvel's Iron Fist is about a man named Danny Rand who was presumed dead in a plane crash that killed his entire family. He resurfaces in New York City to reclaim his father's company, but his duties as the Iron Fist might get in his way.

7. Anne

All you fans of Anne of Green Gables, this one's for you! This series is a live adaptation of the aforementioned book, keeping all of its charm! Anne chronicles the life of a red-haired orphan sent to live on a farm and her trials and triumphs growing up. It's a classic.

8. Bill Nye Saves the World

Bill Nye the Science Guy! Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! That's right! Everyone's favorite scientist is back with a brand new, science-saturated series guaranteed to make you say "science rules!" once more. Each episode will tackle a science-related topic and explore it, using lively interviews, experiments, guest hosts, and much more!

9. Hot Girls Wanted: Turned On

A spin-off of the Netflix documentary Hot Girls Wanted, which shines a light on how the porn industry affects girls who become porn actresses, this series promises to follow a similar line of thought, showing these cinéma-vérité-style stories in a more episodic format.

10. Burning Sands

Everyone's favorite institution is put in the limelight! Burning Sands is a film that follows fraternity pledges through the eyes of a favored pledge as he must decide if he will honor the brotherhood code of silence or speak up against violent underground hazing.

11. Beau Séjour

Beau Séjour is a 9-episode Dutch drama series about a teenage girl who wakes up in a hotel room only to find herself looking at her own dead body in the bathtub. Only five people are able to see her.

12. Julie's Greenroom

This one is for the kiddies! The legendary Julie Andrews stars in a brand new kids show that teaches her students, the greenies, about the fascinating world of the performing arts. A large cast of famous guest stars teach and inspire a young audience to love theatre, dance, and music. I also noticed in this trailer that the creators took extra care in making the greenies (which are the muppet students) diverse, representing children of different ethnicities and abilities.

13. Ingobernable

Diego Nava and Emilia Urquiza are Mexico's presidential couple, but a rift forms in their relationship when Diego compromises his ideals under political pressure. Emilia is a woman of conviction who decides to leave Diego for this, but she is unaware of how much the future of Mexico will soon change.

14. Death Note

This one gets me both excited and nervous...a live-action remake of the famous anime/manga series Death Note. Not much is known about this remake, other than it will be a blood-filled attempt to recreate the anime about a boy named Light who finds a notebook with the instructions inside reading "The person whose name is written in this notebook shall die." Horrible idea (*war flashbacks from The Last Airbender live-action movie*) or ingenious? I'll include it on this list because I am honestly interested in how this will turn out.

15. Watership Down

Netflix is teaming up with BBC to create a British-Irish-American animated mini-series adaptation of the famous and somewhat dark children's novel Watership Down by Richard Adams. The star-studded vocal cast will include James McAvoy, John Boyega, Ben Kingsley, and Nicholas Holt. The story surrounds a clan of rabbits trying to escape certain death.

16. Gypse

Naomi Watts plays a therapist who becomes a little too involved in the lives of her patients, which is proving to become dangerous.

17. Kiss Me First

Not much is known about this one, but it is said to be a thriller about a 17-year-old girl addicted to an online gaming site. She befriends a confident girl named Tess, but when Tess mysteriously disappears, the protagonist replaces her.