17 Life Lessons I Learned In 2017

17 Life Lessons I Learned In 2017

Although this year was garbage, something good came out of it.

123
17 Life Lessons I Learned In 2017
Thrive Global

All we wanted last year was for 2016 to be over. It was the worst of worst years, and no matter how well it went publicly or privately for you, you probably agree. I know I did, and I had a positive optimism about what was to come in 2017. Now that 2017 is coming to an end, the year has gone even more terribly than 2016. But no matter how terrible the year went, it was a year where I have grown, changed and become closer to my best self than I ever have in my life. For those of you who have also had a difficult past few years, I hope these 17 things I learned in 2017 can help you to see how much you've grown as well.

1. Find a balance between days that you need to sit in bed and cry, and days where you can push through the sadness and live your life.

2. Don't be afraid to reinvent yourself. Cut your hair. Change your diet. Do something you never thought you would do before.

3. Throwing yourself into your work is the best possible solution to any problem.

4. Sometimes a distraction might not solve the problem, but it's what you need.

5. People are going to be rude, ignorant, and obnoxious. That's not your fault; don't be offended and don't stoop to their level.

6. Don't make yourself miserable to make others happy.

7. Be at one with yourself: mind, body, spirit. And if you don't know how to do that, figure it out.

8. Do your dorkiest, lamest hobbies. Love your silliest and most embarrassing guilty pleasures. Research and learn about random things you find interesting.

9. Getting into a routine and sticking to it is the best way to create a life.

10. Stick up for yourself. Don't stick up for others who don't deserve it.

11. Find or create little things that make you happy or make you feel better. Do them every day.

12. Don't compare yourself to others. Focus on your own improvements and your own achievements.

13. New friendships are some of the greatest blessings in life.

14. Take care of yourself in the three simplest ways: don't eat garbage, get all the sleep that you need, exercise as often as possible.

15. Don't let people worm their way into your brain.

16. Make yourself smile even if you're not happy. It sends signals to your brain that makes you think you're happy.

17. Realize that life is pretty damn cool, and so are you, so don't give up on yourself or your life.