17 Things You Learned If Your Parents Were Boston Sports Fans

The significance of the number four, a modern day prophet, and how to fit eleven rings on ten fingers.

507

If your parents were born and raised the way my parents were- disciples of New England's finest professional sports teams, they've most likely ingrained their beliefs deeply in your blood with the expectation you'll do the same with your own progeny.

I'm talking about those zealous Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox, and Bruins fans who pledge support to one of the greatest sports cities in the world. You might not be completely die-hard, you might not even like sports that much, but if your parents are Boston Strong, you'll most likely recognize the following

17. The nickname: "The Hick from French Lick."

You know who I'm talking about. The Great White Hope, The Kodak, The Larry Bird. The Celtics All-Star, who from 1979 to 1992 would earn his seat in the Hall of Fame and his undisputed status as one of the greatest basketball players of all time, epitomized the true meaning of being a professional Boston athlete (like many others who will appear in this list).

His hustle, determination, talent, and ability to better his team earned him more accomplishments than I feel like typing out, and his legacy will live on for generations to come. If your parents were anything like mine, you've probably also had the documentary "Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals" on your DVR for an embarrassingly long amount of time, and you've probably seen it too many times to count.

16. The Lyrics to 'Sweet Caroline' by Neil Diamond.

And that includes the extra "bum-bum-bum" and "so-good, so-good, so-good"s. It's a shame if you can't sing along with the Red Sox's timeless 7th inning stretch song by now.

15. That we "have no idea how lucky we are to be a Boston fan today".

It's no secret that in the past twenty years, Boston sports have been pretty dominant. Our big four teams have all won national championships in the past ten years, and most have been at least in contention to win big in each season, at least since I've been following them.

But, our parents weren't so lucky, and they won't let us forget that.

The Red Sox, prior to their 2004 'reversing of the curse', hadn't won a World Series since 1918. The Bruins won two Stanley Cups in the early 1970s but didn't make it back there until 2011. The Patriots, now the overall most dominant team in the NFL since 2002 thanks to our second God, Bill Belichick, and our second Lord and Savior, Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr., hadn't ever won a Super Bowl.

Our parents may lament on the days of Grogan, Eason, and Bledsoe, but they're still alive for the Brady era, so they really shouldn't complain.

14. KG and The Truth saved the C's in 2008.

I just mentioned how the other 3 teams in the 'Big Four' had questionable pasts, but honestly, the Celtics won so many championships in the 60s through the 80s that there wasn't much to complain about. However, there was a brief respite from the late 1980s to the late 2000s, and for a while, it seemed like the Celtics had lost their magic.

Luckily, after an embarrassing 24 win 06-07 season, 6'11 Kevin Garnett was traded by Kevin McHale (part of Boston's original Big 3) from the Minnesota Timberwolves to the C's, and he and Paul Pierce, or better known as, The Truth (the franchise's second-leading scorer of all time), teamed up to win the NBA Championship the very next year. KG would earn Defensive Player of the Year and Paul Pierce would be named the Finals MVP.

While yes, they had Rondo and Ray Allen (considered to be part of the team's 'Big Three'), these two legends are the most memorable names to bridge the gap between my generation of Boston fans with my parent's era.

13. At least 3 players' names on the Bruins 2011 Stanley Cup Team.

Even if you don't really watch hockey (like myself, I must admit), your parents made sure you were still following the Bruins run for the 2011 Stanley Cup. Led by Captain and defenseman, Zdeno Chara (that's one name), the Bruins took the Vancouver Canucks to a game seven where the B's would shut-out their Canadian opponents 4-0 with Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand each scoring a two-piece (names two and three).

The MVP of the series, and rightfully so, was beloved goalie, Tim Thomas (a fifth name to boot), who set multiple NHL records that year such as most saves in a single postseason (798), most saves in a Stanley Cup series (238), fewest goals allowed in a 7-game Stanley Cup Finals (8), and the highest Stanley Cup Finals save percentage (.967).

The B's last Division Championship was the 13-14 season, and they are currently (as I'm writing this article) 3rd in the Atlantic Division, and I probably could tell you that Chara's still the captain, and that's about it.

12. It's not Nomar Garciaparra, it's Nom'ah'.

First off, no one actually says they're going to park their car in Harvard Yard. Secondly, if either of your parents hail from Boston, they might have an accent similar to my dad's where they infamously drop the 'r' sounds off of words.

One of the most appropriate examples of this I believe comes when referencing Mr. Nomar Garciaparra, an impressive shortstop for the Sox from 1996 to 2003. Although he left the team due to injuries at the end of his career, he did sign a one day contract in order to retire in the City of Boston who learned to love him and his unparalleled heart and love for the game.

He was traded the year the Red Sox won their first World Series in 86 years, but not before winning AL Rookie of the Year, an AL Silver-Slugger Award, two consecutive AL Batting Championships and being named an All-Star five times while a member of the Bo-Sox. Oh, and he also wore the same jersey number as Larry Bird.

11. You can fit 11 rings on 10 fingers if your hands are big enough.

If any Boston relatives start reminiscing about Boston Legends, Bill Russell's name is going to come up. And in any argument for why he should be considered one of the greats, you're also going to hear the number 11.

Bill Russell has eleven championship rings to put on his 10.5" hands. To put that in perspective, MJ has 6 and LeBron has 3 (Sam Jones has 10, but let's be honest, that's mostly because of the guy smiling in the picture above). I can't tell you how many times I've heard my dad tell me how much he loves this man and his eleven rings, but I guess at least he's admiring someone who's certainly earned the praise.

He was the NBA League MVP 5 times, and will probably go down as one of, if not the, greatest winners in sports history (which for an athlete is something to which we all hope to aspire since contrary to the popular recreational coach's mantra, winning is pretty much everything at that level).

10. The only kicker in Football that matters is Adam Vinatieri.

Arguably the most neglected position in all of the sport, let alone just American Football, is the kicker. Generally stereotyped as being weaker and less important (although that isn't always the case- so no offense to any of the kickers or punters reading this), New England sports fans will never forget the name and legacy of one such a player thanks to "Automatic" Adam "Mr. Clutch" Vinatieri.

His legendary status began with the kick in the Snow Bowl of 2011 to send the Pats to AFC Championship game, where he would go on to help them win Super Bowl XXXVI. He also kicked a field goal as time expired in Super Bowl XXXVIII to put the Patriots ahead of the Panthers 32-29. He would win 3 Super Bowls with New England before joining the Colts in 2006.

9. Ted Williams' philosophy of hitting.

One of, if not the, greatest hitter in Red Sox (and MLB) history, Ted Williams wrote a book called, "The Science of Hitting", and if your parents were into Baseball and the Red Sox, they most likely read that thing cover to cover.

Ted Williams begins his book by admitting that, "Hitting A baseball—I’ve said it a thousand times—is the single most difficult thing to do in the sport," before delving into some of his key points on how he believes a man (or woman) can succeed at it. I'm now a college softball player myself, and I can safely say that my dad, who coached me through hitting as I was growing up, used verbatim Ted's words of advice in our lessons.

Ted preaches about using a lighter bat, "proper thinking", pitch selection, getting a good ball to hit, being quick with the bat, applying anticipation, the sweet spot, the power of the hips, and other various scientific approaches to the best part of baseball. He still holds the career MLB batting average record (.482) and led the league on OBP 12 different years between 1939 and 1960 (Baseball Hall of Fame).

8. In Bill We Trust (unless it's Buckner).

Since Bill Belichick took over as the head coach for the New England Patriots in 2000, the Pats have won a remarkable 5 Super Bowl rings, 7 AFC Championships, 15 AFC East Division Championships, and has the most regular seasons wins of any active NFL coach.

His coaching style may be unique, but his next-man-up and Do-Your-Job mentalities have won over the New England fans to the point where we will back him up in any situation (even Spygate or making questionable decisions when it comes to letting star players go).

We've come to love his curt interview responses and cut off hoodies and we live for the one to two times a year that he smiles or shows the ability to produce human emotion. Our parents have programmed us to believe in him and trust him and all but preach his ability to walk on water. Where most people may see a cold-hearted man with the little personality we see a genius who's just misunderstood.

Bill Bucker, on the other hand, got run out of Boston after letting a ball go between his legs in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, so don't confuse the two.

7. Big Papi's walk-up routine.

Everyone with any connection to Boston may have a dad, but they also have a Papi, and of course, I'm referring to the big man himself, David Ortiz. The best DH in MLB history, Big Papi was an outspoken leader on the Red Sox for 13 years where he racked up 7 Silver Sluggers Awards, 3 World Series Rings (1 WS MVP), 1 ALCS MVP, and his #34 jersey retired at Fenway.

One thing you've most likely learned by now is the iconic "spit-clap-clap" Ortiz repeats every time he steps in the box. Almost every Red Sox fan who grew up watching Big Papi on TV or in the stands has tried to mimic or impersonate whether it be in little league baseball, backyard whiffle-ball, or just for fun around the house, but I don't know if that's enough to be able to hit like him though...

6. 'Deflate-Gate' and 'The Helmet Catch' are taboo.

Yeah. We don't really talk about either. Basically, F*ck Roger Goodell for spending over 12 million dollars of the NFL's money in legal fees against a barely, slightly, and allegedly deflated football in an AFC Championship game the Pats were clearly going to win regardless (the score was 45-7). This BS cost Brady four suspension games and the team 1 million dollars and two draft pick. I get too mad writing about it to delve any further.

The Helmet Catch basically epitomizes Eli "Lucky" Manning's career against the Pats in the Super Bowl. Just ridiculous and lucky and all based off of freak plays. Freaking Giants. This article's a little biased - I'm sorry.

5. You can't marry or date a New York Fan.

Going right along with #6, while we aren't taught to discriminate against race, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation- we were taught that a Yankees, Jets, or a Giants fan is a no-go when it comes to romantic relationships.

You can make it work with Pittsburg or Chicago fans, and although Los Angeles fans is a stretch (Lakers vs Celtics...ehhh), the worst you can do is New York. By far. If you go to school in New York, like I do, you'll find you're forced to make friends with lovers of the Stankees, but as long as you're not anticipating spending your life married to them- forced to try and agree on a sports team philosophy to bestow upon your kids- you'll be fine.

4. Bobby Orr and his "Goal" are more than just a statue outside of the TD Garden.

The greatest Bruin and probably the greatest player in the NHL of all time, number four, Bobby Orr, won the defenseman player of the year award 8 times, MVP three times, and won 2 Stanley Cups for the Black and Yellow.

He was the first defenseman to lead the league in scoring and the only player ever to win the Norris Trophy (best defenseman), Art Ross Trophy (most points), Hart Trophy (MVP to his team), and Conn Smythe Trophy (MVP of playoffs) in a single season. The first of both Orr's and the Bruin's championships since 1941 was won with a spectacular, almost magical, goal- "The Goal" in overtime of the 1970 Stanley Cup Championship Series.

I put this one at #4 because of how layered Bobby Orr's legacy is with his jersey number. His famous diving goal was the fourth goal of the fourth period (OT) of the fourth game of the series, and the picture was snapped after he tripped on Noel Picard, who wore the #4 jersey for the Blues.

I've also noticed that whenever my dad brings him up, he makes it a point to say his name in the total Broadcasting form, the way Fred Cusick does in his original call of "The Goal" itself, but I'm not sure if that's a universal thing or not.

3. No comeback is impossible.

Boston is a city of champions, but they're also a city of underdogs and blue-collar, working-class citizens who are as relentless as they are tough. The fans of these teams develop so much respect for their heroes not just by how they win, but how they face adversity. The 2004 Red Sox were the first team in baseball history to come back in a series down 3-0 and win in the ALCS beating the New York Yankees in historic fashion.

The 2008 Red Sox (who would also go on to win the World Series) made the biggest post-season comeback in 80 years after being down 7-0 to Rays in Game 5 of the ALCS. The Bruins had a less than 0.7% chance of winning Game 7 against the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2013, down by 2 with 75 seconds left, but defied the odds and won (Lopez).

The Patriots were losing to the Falcons 28-3 in last year's Super Bowl with a little over 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter but managed to rally back incredibly and pull off the largest comeback in Super Bowl history, winning the game 34-28. Just recently the Celtics overcame a 26 point deficit in the fourth quarter to the Rockets.

Watching these teams' games might not always be for the faint of heart, but they never fail to inspire and instill hope in the Boston fan. As my dad always says anytime one of our teams seems to have lost hope, "the game's not over yet...it's not over yet."

2. Yankees Suck.

It can't be repeated enough. You cannot be a Boston fan and a Yankees fan- that's an abominable oxymoron. You cannot be seen in Yankees merchandise. You cannot date a Yankees fan. You cannot cheer for the Yankees. The Curse of the Bambino was a real thing, so they have more pennants and World Series wins, but they still suck.

1. Brady is the GOAT.

Now my family is Catholic, but regardless of your religious sect or denomination or practices, if your parents are Boston fans, you've been taught about one very important modern-day prophet, Mr. Tom Brady.

There's the love you have for your God, the love you have for your significant other, the love you have for your family, and the type of love you only have for Brady.

I'm fairly certain my dad, and most of his other fully grown friends would lay down their lives in order for Brady to play ten more seasons of Patriots football. He has brought more than just the most beautiful and successful supermodel in the world and UGGs to our fanatic community. He has blessed us with his character, talent, five Super Bowls, four Super Bowl MVPs, two MVP Seasons, two NFL Offensive Player of the Year awards, and too many individual records to count (or bother writing down).

He was a sixth-round draft pick and was only introduced to the world thanks to a Drew Bledsoe injury in the 2001-2002 season (which was his best contribution to the franchise if you really think about it), but he did not let this opportunity pass him by.

He, like Belichick, can do no wrong in the eyes of his fans, and we will defend his honor and status as 'the greatest of all time' without question or hesitation. It's hard to argue against his status as the best quarterback of all time, but we'd even go so far as to suggest he's the greatest NFL player of all time. He's the type of icon in Boston that would make grown men weep, the most happily committed women swoon, and children hang posters of him all around their rooms.

While he may be old for his job, at least we can thank his diet of grass and avocado ice cream for keeping him in New England this long, and who knows, maybe this year he'll get that sixth ring, and that'll be it for our beloved Tommy. Even when his incredible career comes to a close, his legacy will live on forever in our hearts.