17 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Halloween

Everyone loves Halloween, but do you know the facts surrounding this spooky holiday? Probably not. Here, take my hand. I will assist you.

55

Some fun facts to kick ass in some Halloween Trivia! Happy hauntings.....

1. Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween.

2. Trick or treating comes from an ancient Celtic tradition where people would put out treats to feed the wandering spirits.

3. Owls calls are popular during Halloween because in Europe an Owls call was a sign that death was near.

4. Jack-O-Lantern is derived from the story from the Irish legend of a man named Jack, who was selfish and tricked the devil numerous times, so he was denied entrance to heaven or hell. He was doomed to lurk the earth and his lantern was used to steer people from their paths.

5. Some Scottish women believe that hanging a wet sheet in front of a fire on Halloween would show them a picture of their future husband.

6. Americans purchase 600 million pounds of candy roughly each year for Halloween….and we eat it all, too.

7. Americans will roughly spend $310 million to dress up their pets for Halloween this year.

8. The largest pumpkin was 1,872 pounds.

9. Americans purchase 20 million pounds of candy corn each year.

10. In Alabama, it is illegal to dress up like a priest.

11. According to a legend, if you see a spider on Halloween it’s a spirit of a loved one watching over you.

12. It is very rare a full moon falls on Halloween,but it is predicted to happen in 2020.

13. Harry Houdini died on Halloween.

14. In the UK, it is said white cats bring bad luck, not black

15. Many shelters do not allow black cats to be adopted on or around Halloween in fear they will be tortured or sacrificed.

16. The most candy sold all year is on October 28th.

17. There is a $1,000 fine in Hollywood for using Silly String on Halloween.

BONUS: Need help figuring out what to do to your kids or little siblings the day after Halloween?

source source